The Death of DCI

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure all the people in those stands are paying large sums of money to be "bored" at a drum corps show.

See that dude with the wrist band in your 2nd photo. He didn't pay anything. A fair size chunk of those crowds at the ends didn't pay anything. But I get your point. :)

See that dude with the wrist band in your 2nd photo. He didn't pay anything. A fair size chunk of those crowds at the ends didn't pay anything. But I get your point. :)

tou·ché :huh:

Hey, I am old enough to remember going to the DCI office in Villa Park to pick up my records.

I do not agree with the OP. There have been people complaining about DCI since the very beginning. Face it, they have been the biggest, most obvious target (lightning rod?) out there for all these years.

It is all DCI's fault. They are responsible for anything bad that has ever happened in the drum corps activity.

As a matter of fact, DCI is responsible for:

a. the death of drum corps as we know it.

b. making it rain inside the Georgia Dome.

c. the death of drum corps as we knew it.

d. all of the economic, societal and demographic changes that have occurred in North America since 1972.

e. the death of drum corps as we would like to think we remember it.

f. my personal happiness.

g. all of the above.

And apparently, according to this thread, it is now the death of DCI.

Boy, I sure hope not. I saw a lot of great drum corps last year at all levels and I was kinda hoping to do it again this summer.

I can't wait for one director to say enough, we're playing something the crowd will love and remember, if the judges like it great, if not, oh well.

Why don't you ask Scott Stewert how that philosophy worked out for the Scouts.

I think audience reaction should be a heavy factor in the judging system.

That said, I don't think DCI is dead. Yes, it used to be much better, particularly from the 1984-1996 period. But that just give me hope that eventually, the activity will become healthier, shows will get more entertaining, more corps will form, and more fans will be in the stands. And then, it will be even more satisfying.

I can't wait for one director to say enough, we're playing something the crowd will love and remember, if the judges like it great, if not, oh well.

Why don't you ask Scott Stewert how that philosophy worked out for the Scouts.

Ouch. Sad but true.

What ?? Why ?? How do you suppose you do that and keep fairness and integrity ....no way.

~G~

The why is pretty clear. Corps would have to put entertaining the audience as a top priority, which is better for fans, members, and the activity as a whole. As for the how, I have no idea.

I also think another factor in the judging system should be musical analysis of the corps' repertoire, and I think all arrangements should have to be approved by DCI before being allowed to be performed. Opinions, LOL.