This is a FANTASTIC generation of drum corps.

Like Tom, I was inspired to start up a more positive thread in the midst of all of the negativity we are drowning in on this message forum.

Here is something (positive) for everyone to chew on.

I think we live in the best day of drum corps ever. Why? Because we live in a day where we can literally enjoy EVERY type of drum corps imaginable. There is something for EVERYBODY!

For those who are old school and prefer what we saw in the 60s 70s & early 80s - We have this wonderful activity that has absolutely EXPLODED in recent years called "Alumni Corps". Unlike the casual get togethers of yesteryear, these corps (I think largely by inspiration of the 27th Lancers 1994) are SERIOUS and sometimes CARBON COPIES (see Bridgemen 06) of what their selective corps were in the past. And there is even a championship for these corps with a "peoples choice" judging system at the DCA World Championships. I must say, if you have not experienced it yet, sitting there at the DCA Alumni Spectacular is literally like sitting in a Drum Corps time machine. You see some of the very best of what both DCI and DCA had to offer (did I mention the Bridgemen yet?) in decades gone by. And typically you see "G Bugles...many of which are not even "three valve". Oh, and if your ears are sensitive to "loud volume", you might want to bring some ear plugs because these corps are VERY LOUD!

For those who like a little old school and a little modern drum corps wrapped up in an entertainment driven balance of members from all ages, there is this wonderful activity called DCA (competitive) championships (i.e. "Class A and Open Class"). Here, you will get somewhat of a blend of the old and the new (some still even use G Bugles). This is a wonderful place to be entertained by a somewhat "weekend warriorish" drum corps activity that loves both the cutting edge and the old drum corps charm. They like to call it "Drum Corps For the People By the People".

For those who are interested in the evolution of the activity and what the next new trend is - DCI still remains the front runner in ALL marching arts activities and remains on the cutting edge. Prepare to have your breath taken away by corps who hold very strict audition requirements and the most innovative designs that are literally un-predictable every year. You will see things that in some cases seem impossible. And it's all being done by KIDS no older than the age of 22. I believe the very best of today's youth are represented in these drum corps and it's ALL a CLASS ACT from the bottom placing corps to the number one corps walking home with a ring and a gold medal! For those of you who get dizzy easily, you might want to bring some sort of "headache" pill with you because the drill designs can literally make your eyes pop out of their sockets. And these corps are musically very impressive. And yes, they DO still get very loud at times - despite what some people say. :)

What's my point? My point is, stop complaining about the side of the drum corps activity you don't like. Ulike any other era in drum corps history, you HAVE what YOU want in 21st century drum corps whether you are a purist, modernist or a little of BOTH. And if only one of the above interests you, FINE. Take your pick. You have a smorgasbord sitting right in front of you. If it's old school you like, don't waste your time complaining about DCI, just stick with following the Alumni Corps Activity. If you like a little more of a "blend", spend your dollars and efforts at DCA. If you like the modern evolving aspects of the activity, just spend your time at DCI. Or if you are like me and like ALL OF THE ABOVE, then plan on having a very BUSY...yet HAPPY summer dinning from a LARGE buffet of "all you can eat drum corps" at "ALL OF THE ABOVE" mentioned activities within the drum corps world. :)

*stepping down from soap box"

Have a great summer - in whichever side of the drum corps activity you choose.

I apologize to the mods. But honestly, where would I place a thread like this? It's about DCI as much as any other activity. There really is no one "forum" on DCP for a message like this. It's about all of it. Hopefully, you will understand, realize the "positive" nature of this thread and not close it. After all, it's nice for the kids in the DCI activity to see threads that are not beating them down with negativity. Not that all of the threads here do that. I'm just thinking - "the more the better". :)

Edited by torn8o

Blah, blah, blah...ok, I know, I know....moderators, shut down DCP and let everyone know discussion, complaints, debates, differences of opinion, observations, summations and everything else are no longer allowed.

Now we have a poster taking upon himself to define drum corps in three aspects and we all now have to fall into one of these categories and "Stop complaining" ...I'm suprised the "Get over it" and "dont like it, leave" mantras werent inserted.......If only life was this easily defined.

sheesh..

~G~

Blah, blah, blah...ok, I know, I know....moderators, shut down DCP and let everyone know discussion, complaints, debates, differences of opinion, observations, summations and everything else are no longer allowed.

Now we have a poster taking upon himself to define drum corps in three aspects and we all now have to fall into one of these categories and "Stop complaining" ...I'm suprised the "Get over it" and "dont like it, leave" mantras werent inserted.......If only life was this easily defined.

sheesh..

~G~

You're really not as good at being cynical as you think...in most cases, it helps to at least TRY and be aware of the poster's original intent before you mock what they took time to write.

Glad we have a poster "taking it upon himself" to "shoot everyone else down to reality," but DCP really isn't benefiting at all by your trademark, characteristic narcissism.

Not my point. Sorry you took it that way.

Perhaps. However GMichael's tone, the point is valid, there was a stop complaining statement and sentiment that kind of killed the whole positive spin that was giving me a good vibe.

I like your idea though, if you think about it, there really is something out there for everyone.

Also, I think that within each of those there exists elements of each parts, but your definition, the more I think about it, is a good general rule and I think also applies well.

I think part of the issue is that people like to cling to the organizations that they have grown so attached. Being an alumni of corps and being a part of the history of DCI makes them feel like they have a responsibility to it perhaps? I can see it much easier for people to try and maintain the way of DCI as they saw it than to search for their school of thought in newer and unfamiliar places.

These people who have been around have strong emotional ties to the organizations that they have grown up with. And with these ties, they feel a sense of belonging, and perhaps responsibility. It's like family. They may complain, but they always love. And like a good family member, they want to steer them in the direction they would like to see them go in.

Very well said Stick Stack. :) I can appreciate what the original poster is intending to do though.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on Stick Stack's post.

I would hate to think sometimes of potential members, or parents, lurking in DCP to get the "heartbeat" of the activity. I mean...in some ways, DCP represents the "water cooler" opinion of what's going on from some current and past members and fans. Seldom do corps or DCI leadership spend time here, so this is in some ways, the front end of the activity.

I believe in any worthwhile activity, it's easy to point out the flaws...what's wrong...who's fault it is. What's more difficult is to look at what is right and what to do about what's wrong. If some of the folks in here, who claim to have marched in the past, acted like they do in here when they were in corps, I would have launched them from any organization I would be involved in.

Again, it's easy to find problems...but drum corps people DO NOT settle for doing what's easy. So, torn8o seems to have put buckets together for certain subsets of audience. None are exclusive...blend your dollars where you want. What do you think? I believe there's a place for almost everyone who wants to be involved in drum corps. Take last year in Madison...the Madison Alumni Project, Div. II/III, Div. I championships, all in one venue. If DCA could have had shows that week in Wisconsin, I would have went to a night of DCA as well. It would have made for an ultimate drum corps week.

Complain about DCI if you must, but what are you willing to DO about it? What are the REAL problems with DCI Div. I? And it's not G bugles and corps not playing like they did in the 70s or 80s. Some ageouts from the 1970s are in their 40s and 50s now. Maybe DCP is filled with mid-life crisis victims watching their life pass by and shouting, "HEY YOU KIDS....GET OFF MY LAWN!" As a 47 year old myself, I try not to choose this path.

Nice post, Scott. You are right. Today's drum corps has everything a fan could possibly be looking for.

I believe what people are complaining about the most is that their favorite corps aren't what they used to be. I don't have a huge problem with this. I have just moved on to find new favorites. BTW, IMO Spirit has that old sound. I was listening to my 05 CD's a couple weeks ago. Nice sound!

Edited by ravedodger