Disney sues City of Anaheim over development

The Walt Disney World Co. is trying to stop the city from allowing projects without full environmental study into the Anaheim Resort.

By SARAH TULLY and ERIK ORTIZ

The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – The Walt Disney World Co. filed Monday what is believed to be its first-ever lawsuit against the city of Anaheim, claiming legal action is needed to protect the tourist area from inappropriate development.

The Orange County Superior Court suit came less than two weeks after Disney officials led business leaders in fighting a City Council proposal to allow homes on a plot in the Anaheim Resort. The plan was rejected in a 2-2 vote.

Still, Disney officials said the lawsuit is necessary to ensure that this development and others go through required environmental studies, which they claim were skipped in this proposal. City staffers have said previous reviews were sufficient.

"Our concern is, this could quickly unravel the Anaheim Resort area and the golden egg that it is for Anaheim," said Rob Doughty, a Disneyland Resort spokesman.

Story; ocregister.com

Edited by morganhill

The Walt Disney World Co. is trying to stop the city from allowing projects without full environmental study into the Anaheim Resort.

By SARAH TULLY and ERIK ORTIZ

The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – The Walt Disney World Co. filed Monday what is believed to be its first-ever lawsuit against the city of Anaheim, claiming legal action is needed to protect the tourist area from inappropriate development.

The Orange County Superior Court suit came less than two weeks after Disney officials led business leaders in fighting a City Council proposal to allow homes on a plot in the Anaheim Resort. The plan was rejected in a 2-2 vote.

Still, Disney officials said the lawsuit is necessary to ensure that this development and others go through required environmental studies, which they claim were skipped in this proposal. City staffers have said previous reviews were sufficient.

"Our concern is, this could quickly unravel the Anaheim Resort area and the golden egg that it is for Anaheim," said Rob Doughty, a Disneyland Resort spokesman.

Story; ocregister.com

Color me stupid but........how does this relate to the Drum Corps' activity? :laugh: If I missed it I apologize.

I have NO IDEA, BUT, I LOVE DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COULDN'T LET A COMMENT ABOUT DISNEY GO UNRECOGNIZED!!! :) :) :)

And now, back to our regular scheduled drum corps discussions!!!

Color me stupid but........how does this relate to the Drum Corps' activity? :ph34r: If I missed it I apologize.
You may be technically correct and spared the crayons. But with anywhere from 71,600 to 374,000 Google hits linking Disney with the Drum Corps activity, I think the drum corps community can draw at least a minimual amount interest, if not direct relativity to Disney activities.

GOOGLE SEARCH

Shouldn't this be in the current events forum?
Probably! But with there being so many catagories, topics and sub topics, many (myself included) would have probably never seen the message. When topics border on excessive or relativity is over scrutinized, it tends to reduce interest and deter participation. I've seen in happen in drum corps and non-drum corps related forums alike.

ok, but if I read this correctly, Disney is sueing becuase the city want to allow homes to be built "in the resort"............and Disney doesn't want that........well, if Disney owns the property, why don't they just say they are NOT going to build homes on THEIR property?

what am I missing here?

ok, but if I read this correctly, Disney is sueing becuase the city want to allow homes to be built "in the resort"............and Disney doesn't want that........well, if Disney owns the property, why don't they just say they are NOT going to build homes on THEIR property?

what am I missing here?

Disney doesnt own the land being discussed. It is a plot of land within the "Anaheim Resort Master Plan" area. Disney doesnt want private residences in the resort area, only hotels where more people would stay only a few days and move along so more people will go to Ratland and spend more money. The company that wants to build wants to build a multiple occupancy hotel where some of the rooms are actually individually purchased condominiums. This goes against the plan as it is currently written.

You may be technically correct and spared the crayons. But with anywhere from 71,600 to 374,000 Google hits linking Disney with the Drum Corps activity, I think the drum corps community can draw at least a minimual amount interest, if not direct relativity to Disney activities.

GOOGLE SEARCH

Actually you could put any word in front of Drum Corps in Google and get up to 340K hits!

Last I remember Disney wanted nothing more to do with Drum Corps after the last DCI in Orlando, No?