Would 'Machine' have been as cool if...

Electronics, and Machinery  

117 members have voted

1. 1. If 2006 had allowed for electronics, and the Cavaliers had used non-acoustic sounds to emphasize effects of the 'Machine':

• The show could have been even cooler than it was
    • The show would have lost what was cool about it

I think the lack of electronic sounds made a great statement: That corps can achieve effect without all the electronic who-ha. Those effects were performed, not just the result of a piano key being pressed.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the lack of electronic sounds made a great statement: That corps can achieve effect without all the electronic who-ha. Those effects were performed, not just the result of a piano key being pressed.

:bleah:

The show would have lost what was cool about it.

Similarly, let's say SCV's Miss Saigon show wasn't performed until 2009, when electronics are allowed. To produce the helicopter sounds in the beginning, a pit member would simply hold down a button on a synthesizer.

That, right there, is exactly why I do not support electronics.

Art thrives in its limitations.

Actually That is a false statement. Even though I am against electronics in Drum corps, the proposal still calls for real time playing. Sure SCV could have sampled a helicopter sound but it would only last as a single note. To get the helicopter effect the kid would still have to repeatedly push the button not just hold it down. The proposal clearly states a one hit/one note restriction.

Actually That is a false statement. Even though I am against electronics in Drum corps, the proposal still calls for real time playing. Sure SCV could have sampled a helicopter sound but it would only last as a single note. To get the helicopter effect the kid would still have to repeatedly push the button not just hold it down. The proposal clearly states a one hit/one note restriction.

That's a REALLY gray area. I think that if you were sampling a helicopter effect, you would need but one wav, and you would only have to trigger it once. If you want multiple helicopters, you would have to press a button multiple times. That is, unless, you record multiple helicopters as your sample.

Hrothgar's example gets a gold star because you can't record one helicopter blade whoosh. It's impractical. Thus, it would require that if you were going to sample it, you would have to grab the entire effect. Thus one of the great moments in DCI history, where everyone could imagine what was going on, would have been reduced to a pre-recorded portion of the movie Platoon, or something.

shakes head....

you can't know because we have no idea what kinda stuff the design team would have come up with... i heart electronics. this is common knowledge.

why did a lot of guard members appear to have mics?

it was just a headpiece made to look "mechanical" -- they weren't actually wired to anything.

(sometimes I help out the uniform crew)

Stef

just throwing this out there... but then why did a lot of guard members appear to have mics?

They weren't functioning microphones and they weren't connected to any form of amplification. It was just the "look" and all the guard members had them. I went on the field after the Michigan City show and was shown how the headpiece was put together. The confusion because it looked so real is more than understandable.

I think a lot of the effect they had would've been lost without amplification.

As for the electronic mimicking of the helicopter in SCV '91, I'm with Phil. They would've had to press the same button over and over again to get a helicopter sound, and it would've been d*** near impossible for the crowd to get the stereophonic effect of the original if it was just coming from the pit.

The show would have lost what was cool about it.

Similarly, let's say SCV's Miss Saigon show wasn't performed until 2009, when electronics are allowed. To produce the helicopter sounds in the beginning, a pit member would simply hold down a button on a synthesizer.

That, right there, is exactly why I do not support electronics.

Art thrives in its limitations.

The rules proposal that nearly passed this year would not have allowed for the situation you described above. It was emphatically stated in the meeting (but was a little unclear in the actual proposal) that one stroke = one note. A member would not be able to hold down a key and get an extended or sustained sound or sample, from my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone else who was there if I misunderstood Hopkins.

M