Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

Also, it doesn't hurt that the current judging system readily rewards this particular style of show design.

There is no "particular style of show" that the Cavaliers produce. They produce a show with percussion and brass players, a guard, and a visual program that uses all three elements. They have the same competitive parameters as everyone else.

And last I checked, the judges don't use special scoring sheets when the Cavaliers walk on the field. B)

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no "particular style of show" that the Cavaliers produce. They produce a show with percussion and brass players, a guard, and a visual program that uses all three elements. They have the same competitive parameters as everyone else.

wrong. corps can have styles, just as writers can have styles, arrangers could have styles, drill designers can have styles, as well as corps.

wrong. corps can have styles, just as writers can have styles, arrangers could have styles, drill designers can have styles, as well as corps.

The phrase was "style of show", which indicates a belief that they are using a presentation with elements that are not being used in other corps' presentations. Every corps out there is using a similar "style of show" these days; trying to find ways to co-ordinate the visual and musical packages for maximum effect.

The rules don't allow for a real individual 'style' as would be found in non-competitive art forms; any corps who wanted to go really far out there would find that they'd suffer competitively, hence no one does it.

Edited by mobrien

And last I checked, the judges don't use special scoring sheets when the Cavaliers walk on the field. B)

Except there is. Their show designs are fantastic and they hit you over the head with easy to find GE. That is a strength of The Cavaliers because they find an solid concept to work around (most of the time).

Think about it. Frameworks, any time there's something resembling a frame like a box, it's GE. Four corners, any time there's something with four corners, it's GE. Spin Cycle, anytime something spins, it's GE. Machine, same thing. I know I'm over simplifying it but that's the gist. And the design team does an extraordinary job, especially Gaines, of exploiting the concept.

Their designs of late are very particular in style and work very well for them. I would be very pleased to see them keep up the type of show they've been producing. However, it's very nice to find corps that have a different style as well. I would never expect The Cadets, Phantom, or Blue Devils to make a show entitled "Circular Motion". It's reassuring to me that each corps maintains their identity.

Except there is. Their show designs are fantastic and they hit you over the head with easy to find GE. That is a strength of The Cavaliers because they find an solid concept to work around (most of the time).

That's not a style of show; that's simply being better at doing something than someone else. Rosemont is accomplishing it more consistently, but it's not because they've decided that music is unimportant (to use the usual sour grape whine (wine?....) heard around here every July...).

Edited by mobrien

Actually, had you read what he wrote, you'd know he is not wrong.

He made no mention of other corps or of drum corps in general... only of The Cavaliers -- a corps for which he may have a little more backstory on than you or I -- on that point, he said THE CAVALIERS do not produce a particular "style" of show.

I'll bet he'd agree that corps CAN have styles of show. He only said the Cavaliers do not.

Stef

...Their designs of late are very particular in style and work very well for them. I would be very pleased to see them keep up the type of show they've been producing. However, it's very nice to find corps that have a different style as well. I would never expect The Cadets, Phantom, or Blue Devils to make a show entitled "Circular Motion". It's reassuring to me that each corps maintains their identity.

That's what was great about 2006. If you love visual, Cavies had it. If you love great music, Phantom had it. There were different kinds of shows, so the fans got a little bit of everything. I wouldn't want the same type of show being done by every single corps. Each corps has their own identity in a way with their shows. Sometimes that identity changes as time goes on. Regardless of show style though, the corps go out there, perform to the best of their ability, and entertain the audience (for the most part :) ).

That's not a style of show; that's simply being better at doing something than someone else. Rosemont is accomplishing it more consistently, but it's not because they've decided that music is unimportant (to use the usual sour grape whine (wine?....) heard around here every July...).

but it is... Them being so GE driven is their style. just like blue devils style used to be more music oriented, etc...

Actually, had you read what he wrote, you'd know he is not wrong.

He made no mention of other corps or of drum corps in general... only of The Cavaliers -- a corps for which he may have a little more backstory than you or I -- on that point, he said THE CAVALIERS do not produce a particular "style" of show.

I'll bet he'd agree that corps CAN have styles of show. He only said the Cavaliers do not.

Stef

i disagree... there are things that are indicative to the people who make up their staff (gaines, saucedo, etc..) and those things make up the style of the corps and their shows.

Being so integrated and emphasizing visual as being on equal footing as music is absolutely a "style" and is something that is rewarded by the sheets.

To suggest otherwise is silly. The Cavies could go out in anonymous uniforms and play any kind of music you like and it would still be perfectly obvious that it was the Cavaliers. The way in which their shows are designed is incredibly distinctive. Their "style" is not defined by a genre of music as it is with many corps, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.