Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

It all depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the technique. Corps whose technique mimics a running motion tend to look pretty goofy at slow tempos, so they double time a lot. Straight leg technique looks its absolute best at slow tempos(though it takes extraordinary strength and control), so less double time from those corps.

Which looks better? All a matter of perspective. Both are clearly effective. I dislike extensive use of doubletime as the visual phrasing is usually very different from the music when a lot of double time is going on. Used sparingly and appropriately...to accomplish a dramatic form change at the climax of a ballad, for example, I love it.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo, you don't have to kiss mr Fielder <**> Oh mr fielder, you use such unflawed logic :beer: .

Fielder? Who's mr. fielder? I know a Jeff Fiedler, Corps Director of The Cavaliers.

Seriously, if you're gonna be all pissy and rude to someone, at least have the common decency to spell their name correctly....

And I'm sure that you, 84skyrydr, can speak more truthfully about the direction of DCI then a DCI executive board member, DCI hall of famer, and Champion corps director. Yes, I'm sure you have a much better grasp of the situation.

It all depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the technique. Corps whose technique mimics a running motion tend to look pretty goofy at slow tempos, so they double time a lot. Straight leg technique looks its absolute best at slow tempos(though it takes extraordinary strength and control), so less double time from those corps.

Which looks better? All a matter of perspective. Both are clearly effective. I dislike extensive use of doubletime as the visual phrasing is usually very different from the music when a lot of double time is going on. Used sparingly and appropriately...to accomplish a dramatic form change at the climax of a ballad, for example, I love it.

w/Stp:

Well, one of my beliefs about the technique the cavaliers use, is that it allows them to do the "break neck" speeds and drill moves that they do, by allowing your knees to bend you can get a better control of the body, as well, as do more complex drills. Which has always been my personal point that the reason other corps don't do crazy drill, like the cavaliers do, is because of the style, the straight leg does not allow a person to do that. Just my .02

There really isn't that much variation on jazz running from corps to corps - so that doesn't really affect the complexity of the drll/speed. The post child for straight leg - The Cadets - definately don't have trouble doing complex drill (their kaleidascope drill is amazing). It is just not nearly as geometric as what the Cavaliers do.

Fielder? Who's mr. fielder? I know a Jeff Fiedler, Corps Director of The Cavaliers.

Seriously, if you're gonna be all pissy and rude to someone, at least have the common decency to spell their name correctly....

And I'm sure that you, 84skyrydr, can speak more truthfully about the direction of DCI then a DCI executive board member, DCI hall of famer, and Champion corps director. Yes, I'm sure you have a much better grasp of the situation.

Careful, mello. Somebody who aged-out before you grew out of diapers can stand a little bit less sarcasm and witty wisdom. I didn't read all his comments, but having a 20-something call out someone closer to retirement than to your age reads rather poorly. Just be careful. The thread is 21 pages strong--no need to start slinging poop now. (and if I'm off on my math, sorry to my fellow Sky alum! :sleeping: )

Reply: And sometimes it does. "Respect your elders" comes to mind--applies here. In this case, you get what you give. Nuff said.

Edited by silvertrombone

They were robots.

And besides, what kind of a machine marches?

What kind of a machine hops on buses and travels around the country every summer? (Okay, a mobile GPS device, perhaps.)

iPods, cell phones, laptops, Dr. Beat, radios (on-field type), mp3's, etc. And Honda is working on a walking robot--can marching be that far behind?

Sorry, Boo--couldn't resist! Carry on.

but having a 20-something call out someone closer to retirement than to your age reads rather poorly.

Why?

And if you're going to bring age into question, why is that that UTAmello's posts lead me to believe that he's older than 84skyrydr? Does age matter then?

Edited by Jayzer

iPods, cell phones, laptops, Dr. Beat, radios (on-field type), mp3's, etc. And Honda is working on a walking robot--can marching be that far behind?

Sorry, Boo--couldn't resist! Carry on.

Honda's "Asimo" can walk, jog, and move up and down stairs and slopes with surprising ease. Some other robotics (may still be Honda) has a robot that can play trumpet.

George Hopkins is building his super corps...... :sleeping: