Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

Anything over 200 bpm is easy...as long as you disregard technique. :P

And yes, being a low brass player during the ballad is torturous, especially during the beginning of the season. By the end of the season it's not so bad to hold the horn up, but during everydays it was always the part of the show I dreaded. It's also very hard to keep a steady tone going when you're so winded from the first few movements. That's why I think that the ballad can sometimes be the most difficult part of the show.

Personally, I think that it's more difficult to march 80 bpm than to march 200. That's when you really have to be totally focused on balance.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also very hard to keep a steady tone going when you're so winded from the first few movements. That's why I think that the ballad can sometimes be the most difficult part of the show.

Personally, I think that it's more difficult to march 80 bpm than to march 200. That's when you really have to be totally focused on balance.

Exactly! :)

Euph player here, not the eassiest thing in the world to keep that tone steady after the first few movements. Granted, by the end of the season it isn't a big deal, but during everydays it can suck. I still remmember a rehearsal where they took the high brass to one side of the field, and the low brass to the other. We would march and play a chunck of the ballad, run around the field, and repeat - that lasted for a few hours. They managed to alternate it so that while one group was running the other was playing.

The conditioning sucked, but getting to hear the other half of the hornline was pretty cool.

Anything over 200 is challenging.

007 didn't have 250 sets, and the highest tempo was 208.

So, they are mortal...what a shame. :)

An opinion about Cavaliers design....

I don't really think The Cavaliers march fast in ballads to hide dirty technique. One thing I can't stand seeing on the field is a huge lack of movement in drill design when the tempo goes down below 120 or so. I like watching Cavalier ballads as well as listening to them. Can't say the same for other corps...

I guess most has all been said before...

Great design team

Great instructional/educational team

Great volunteers

Decent members

Great direction

Cool uniforms

I don't think the kids really chase rings. They try to be good. Really good. They go to The Cavaliers because they feel they will reach the highest level of excellence marching there. They stay in The Cavaliers for the same reason. I'm not saying the members don't enjoy winning, but they probably don't use scoring as a reference to the quality of their product. In fact, those arrogant boys probably think they are smarter than the judges.

Oh yeah, and I like that smarter not harder thing. I think the few members in The Cavaliers who marched somewhere else before can tell you the difference it makes.

-Beavs

An opinion about Cavaliers design....

I don't really think The Cavaliers march fast in ballads to hide dirty technique. One thing I can't stand seeing on the field is a huge lack of movement in drill design when the tempo goes down below 120 or so. I like watching Cavalier ballads as well as listening to them. Can't say the same for other corps...

I guess you are allowed to like faster marching ballads, but i personally think within the pacing of the show there should be slower marching amd slower development of forms. It changes things up and creates a lot of exposure not present in fast marching. Also, the whole double time thing (combined with the song selection) has really kept them from having a 'classic' ballad this decade. Say what you will about slow developing drill, but you cant top ballads such as pr and cadets 93, phantom lords prayer, cadets 05. For the cavies, I wish they would base something off what they did in 95 with the ballad there (in jupiter I think). They created a powerful moment that i think has been missing from the run n' gun ballads theyve had as of late, and the slwer drill is just as much a part of it as is the music.

I think marching fast in ballads makes the moves more fluid, like the music. Slow marching can make for dragging, plodding steps and drill moves. While fast marching makes the drill moves look better up top. Water has the basis of fluid movement (no pun intended) and even when moving its fastest, can look incredibly soft.

I disagree. The 'ballads' from 007 and Machine were amazing moments. Especially 007...very haunting. And the drill worked perfectly.

007 didn't have 250 sets, and the highest tempo was 208.

well i guess i was lied to by a 4-year vet, and good friend of mine. i'll accept that because i assume you wouldn't make a comment like that without being able to back it up.

It's also very hard to keep a steady tone going when you're so winded from the first few movements. That's why I think that the ballad can sometimes be the most difficult part of the show.

well, personally, i think it's harder to keep a steady tone when you're winded from all 4 movements. but thats just me.

i remember my marching days, and ANY set that was at a slow tempo, even if it was only 8 counts, was like a gift from the gods.

I think marching fast in ballads makes the moves more fluid, like the music. Slow marching can make for dragging, plodding steps and drill moves. While fast marching makes the drill moves look better up top. Water has the basis of fluid movement (no pun intended) and even when moving its fastest, can look incredibly soft.

i agree 100%

Edited by Marlin Hunter

For all the people talking about marching slow versus marching fast, it really depends on context. Marching slowly down the field in basics, I feel great. Marching at 200 bpm for extended amounts of time (well, until you really get used to it, which I certainly did) made me want to die.

Ok...I'm not going so far as to say that marching slow is harder than marching fast. Any time the vis. staff would say set up at the top of the ballad for marching block, we would all cheer, and vice versa for the opener or closer. I enjoy the methodical movement required to march at a slower tempo, and to me, marching in the ballad is one of the few places where you can actually put the emotion of the music into your posture. I would put it in the same catagory as the often talked about 'guard integration'. It great to have, some people think its absolutely necessary, while others couldnt care less.