If you could pick a Uni for Scouts in '07

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

green_al~~~_letsstayt_101b.jpg

Very classy! Is the fro optional?

I tell you what, if you can get 135 guys out there, ALL with a huge 'fro..........

I'm gonna throw babies before they even start. B)

I tell you what, if you can get 135 guys out there, ALL with a huge 'fro..........

I'm gonna throw babies before they even start. B)

Uncle Z! :poke:

Ok...here is my edited version with the fluer placed on the left chest

and the all green version.

411904836_31d1be41bd_m.jpg

I have to say, I like this one because it harkens back to the 70's uniform, much like the Alumni uniforms did. I'd get rid of the red gaumtlets and give it some SPATS!!!

And as far all the haters of the 88-02 look, what Christmas tree was ever white on the bottom? Get a better simile for red and green, why don't you.

PS. Hats in the pit would be OK, but timpani players (at least, me) hate having to bob up and down with them. Once in 86 they asked me to wear a shako, and I actually banged it against the drum head while I was tuning. Off with that hat.

And since when do you have to have worn the uniform to have an opinion about it?

Now, now...my point was that not being able to claim ownership of something severely limits the value placed upon it. I never said that he can't have an opinion about it or that he had to wear THIS uniform (I believe I stated that much)...it was more of a comment about how he's telling us how it was so overrated as if he's been around for 20 years and knows more than just the CURRENT corps.

The fact remains that for 15 years, that uniform was synonymous with 3 things...power, performance, and excitement. It certainly was more distinctive and recognizable than most corps uniforms. If in '02 someone were to look back 10 years, they would be able to recognize:

1. The Cadets

2. Phantom

3. The Madison Scouts

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

Now, now...my point was that not being able to claim ownership of something severely limits the value placed upon it. I never said that he can't have an opinion about it or that he had to wear THIS uniform (I believe I stated that much)...it was more of a comment about how he's telling us how it was so overrated as if he's been around for 20 years and knows more than just the CURRENT corps.

The fact remains that for 15 years, that uniform was synonymous with 3 things...power, performance, and excitement. It certainly was more distinctive and recognizable than most corps uniforms. If in '02 someone were to look back 10 years, they would be able to recognize:

1. The Cadets

2. Phantom

3. The Madison Scouts

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

sheesh dude, take a chill pill... I loved your shows, I just didn't like the uniform as much as I like the ones now. I don't see why you're taking so much offense to something you're blowing way out of proportion.

BUT if it makes you happy, here goes The Madison Scouts uniform from 88-02 were the greatest, most un-overrated uniforms ever, and I wish that they hadn't made the fatal mistake of changing it. God have mercy on those who disagree.

disclaimer - I love the Madison Scouts. This is not, nor should it be interpereted as a shot at their organization.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

And as far all the haters of the 88-02 look, what Christmas tree was ever white on the bottom? Get a better simile for red and green, why don't you.

Yeah, plus what Christmas tree wears a white aussie hat? Wow. :beer:

But, fine, I'll oblige. If the bottom of a Christmas tree were white, that's what the 88-02 uniforms would look like, complete with a mess tinsle and garlands. I will say they weren't as bad as the Glassmen early 90s unis--the psychedelic easter bunny puke ones. Sorry if that comparison bothers you, too.

And yeah, their shows and performers from 88-02 are what made them one of my favorite corps of that time period. Believe me, I felt the "power, performance, and excitement," all the while thinking the uniforms didn't really look very cool.

Anyway, I liked the idea that somebody posted about taking last year's unis, and switching what the DM wore and what the rest of the corps wore. That would look really classy. :)

The Holy Name/Garfield/of Bergen County/No Name Cadets looked like military cadets (full with baldirc that would hold a sword, etc.) and have kept that same look. I do not love the Cadets uniform because of the way it looks. It looks like most older high school and college band uniforms (probably not completely unrelated). I love the Cadets uniform because it is what they have worn for such a long time. That is really nice, and it is very pleasing to see the Cadets in their uniform when they take the field. I did not like how they changed the uniform in recent years. I am glad they decided to return to the original.

The Rosemont Cavaliers (who by the way, had their roots in Boy Scouts) have kept their look, which looks somewhat like their image, a cavalier (especially a drum major at retreat with cape). The look has been about the same for a very long time.

The Madison Scouts looked like Boy Scouts because that is who they were and still are.

The baggy and christmas tree comments are fine, but I am not sure if you know...

that the BSA uniform has primarily followed earthy tan and green colors. The accent color to the uniform is red. Red is the color of the epaulettes and the wool overcoat among other things. The BSA uniform also uses a merit badge sash worn over the shoulder, across, and to the waist. If selected, an Order of the Arrow BSA scout also earns a white sash with a red arrow emblazoned on the front. Some troops and training camps choose to use cords, berets, campaign hats, and other uniform parts that are traditionally not required.

The Madison Scouts have not only an identity through name, but an identity through history unlike any other corps. They started as and are exactly what their name says they are. They were the first musical post of the Boy Scouts of America. There are still registered with the Four Lakes Council of BSA.

I believe their uniform should reflect their history. The red accents and military style of uniform, Eisenhower jacket, Aussie (which looks a campaign hat with one side turned up and with no dimples - the Troopers wear a sort of campaign hat, if you were wondering) primarily green color and loose sash across the body were all reflective of their true Boy Scout identity.

The 06 uniform was not horrible. It looked almost like the drum major uniform in 85. I would like to see the uniform return to the way it looked in earlier years, especially with a little more red.

The 88-02 "Superman" is great. I do not think that uniforms have to be stretch, slimming, or padded to look good. Not every drum corps uniform should have to look like a drum corps uniform. There were some men in Madison who were not slim, and they still looked looked great in the Superman or most recently, the 06 Alumni.

In short, I like the "Superman" and the Alumni, but I would be in favor of any previous Madison Scout uniform from 1938 through 2002.

I remember being called the "Madison Explorer Scouts" when I marched, at least when they announced us before shows.

The Scouts started wearing the forest green "explorer" uniforms in 1951 when the "junior corps" was formed. The Juniors wore

the kahki Boy Scout unis and the "Senior Corps" wore the forest green explorer unis. Except for a few years in the 60's (Green cadet

uniforms and gray West Point uniforms" they wore explorer uniforms. In 1973 the added the aussie hats and gauntlets and they continued

adding things to hang on the Explorer uniform until 1983 when they went to the White Eisenhower Jackets then shortly there after to

Forest Green Jackets.

For me the 2006 uniforms brought back the all forest green "Explorer" look while keeping up with the times and looking very modern.

A few more white adornments (like spats) to the 2006 look would be perfect in my opinion.

Check out the Scouts web site. They have a great History section.

If the bottom of a Christmas tree were white, that's what the 88-02 uniforms would look like, complete with a mess tinsle and garlands.

Yes! And, of course, if a Christmas tree were decked out in McLeod tartan, it would look like a Kilts uniform! And if it were, like, Satan's tree and it was black, but Satan had a flair for color and stuff, and liked red, it could be a Crossmen uniform!

Sheesh.

And as to all this "tinsle and garlands?" I see a green top, a sash, gauntlets, and some citation cord. Not exactly Santa's Cozy Cloud Cottage.

Y'all can like or dislkie whatever uniform you want, obviously, but let's not wax hyperbolic when talking about absolutes, like what's on a uniform.

Edited by tommytimp