YOU define what "Fan Friendly" drum corps is

Why do you use the name brand laundry detergent??? You know what you're going to get. Give me a drum corps with a set style that performs a particular genre of music with a particular look, and don't change it all every year. Now take this idea and give me 45 variations on it. Works for Cheer and Tide. Just don't change what's in the box!

The blow my face off comments are right on--same with drums. Tell me if I'm wrong, please, but this is DRUM and BUGLE corps, not GENERAL EFFECT corps, right? That being said, a Star '93 every now and then is cool, too.

And lastly, give me a show that elicits not one, not TWO, BUT THREE TRUE STANDING OVATIONS DURING THE PERFORMANCE!! $1 to anybody that can tell me the corps, year, and show I'm thinking of. GREAT example of obscure music that GRABS every fan in the stands and says, "I've GOTCHA!!"

Entertainment. See the AFL thread. Ever see NFL players going into the stands? There's an AFL guy running 40 rows up to toss a guy a football. There's another player grabbing a seat in the fourth row and crossing his legs in the guys lap in front of him. Whenever an NBA player goes into the stands a lawsuit ensues. Imagine musicians going into the stands? Maybe grabbing 86BDSop and handing him the trumpet and letting him take over a solo? Wow! That's a great idea, actually! How cool would that be? The concert side of the stands would collapse under the thunderous applause!! Talk about GE!!

Still playin', sop?? Might oughtta call Wayne and suggest that one. That would be the coolest thing since...well, since 1986!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an OLD PHARTS definision:

To me "FAN FRIENDLY"is a show where the audience of all ages knows all the music and the corps designers make a show

that makes the crowd go nuts by playing the music and performing drill in a spectacular way.

:worthy: What he said! :rock: The main thing I don't like about new age drum corps is the music. No more recognizable songs. For the most part, just a bunch of off the wall stuff that's nobody has ever heard of..............l

I dunno, I'm all for fan friendly shows, but don't you think only being able to play songs the audience has heard before severely limits show design possibilities? I can name plenty of very fan friendly shows that contained very unfamiliar music.

I can define it in a show....and maybe you had to be there, but it was extremely crowd-pleasing....

1997 Crossmen.....

Fun music...check

Good marching...check

Groove...check

Soloist...check

Guard...CHECK!

really fun show to watch...so much fun, I ended up going there to march!

I can define it in a show....and maybe you had to be there, but it was extremely crowd-pleasing....

1997 Crossmen.....

Fun music...check

Good marching...check

Groove...check

Soloist...check

Guard...CHECK!

really fun show to watch...so much fun, I ended up going there to march!

I get goosebumps everytime I listen to that show. Simply amazing. :worthy:

I like "loud and fast" as much as anyone, but also love contrast in a show, a nice ballad, some backfield playing, change of pace, etc.

Good energy.

Something to latch onto musically. Yes, it could be a melody but not nessacerily, could also be a rhythmic ostinato or any number of things.

Make sure there's a few good rifle tosses and some nice clean unison guard work with the big push and I'm happy.

Melody is an absolute necessity for me.

Take SCV 99, the Glass piece is more about rhythmic drive than melody but it really worked. I like melody also, but other musical elements can get your attention and drive part of a show.

Drum Corps that is friendly to the fans :ph34r: