So, is it VK or Velvet Knights now?

Please, no flames. This is just a simple (hopefully) question. I know the corps was using VK because of the issues with the name Velvet Knights. But I noticed that all of their recent announcements have refered to them as the Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. Is this official? Have they lifted the name from the ashes or are we just dropping the whole "VK" thing, since we all knew what it stood for anyway?

No flames, just answers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, no flames. This is just a simple (hopefully) question. I know the corps was using VK because of the issues with the name Velvet Knights. But I noticed that all of their recent announcements have refered to them as the Velvet Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. Is this official? Have they lifted the name from the ashes or are we just dropping the whole "VK" thing, since we all knew what it stood for anyway?

No flames, just answers.

Hello, no flames from us, I promise! The tax issues you speak of were with "Velvet Knights Inc." We are not the "Velvet Knights Inc." We are the VK Youth Arts Organization, doing business as "the Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps." We are a new corps with a new board of directors (no one from the "Velvet Knights Inc." board of directors on ours.)

To make this explanation easier to understand, there has been many corps with the same name in the past. Kingsmen, Cavaliers, Cadets, etc...

And yes we are managed and staffed by many people who marched as members with the Velvet Knights in the past. (The spirit of the corps is the same.)

Thank you for asking I'm sure many people were still confused

Dan Zeilinger

Corps Director

A new corps, a new beginning, a new legend.

The Velvet Knights

(a division of the VK Youth Arts Organization)

Edited by VKDirector1

No flames, just answers.

First of all, "VK" STANDS FOR "Velvet Knights". So I'm sure whether they use the full name or not, "VK" will (as it was back in the day) always at least be a shortened "nic" for the corps (see old video's with "2 cool VK" plate for example).

Now to answer your question as to the FULL name "Velvet Knights". This is how I understand it (and please VKers, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The organizataion's actual buisiness name was originally "VKYAO" (VK Youth Arts Organization). They were originally going to stick with just that name for safety's sake. But after investigating some legalities, they came to the realization that the name which they could not use was not "Velvet Knights" but rather "Velvet Knights Inc.". So sticking with their original idea (VKYAO) and blending it with "Velvet Knights", they are now using the name "Velvet Knights Youth Arts organization" as their official business name which means that on the field, they can be "Velvet Knights" as always.

I just hope for the sake of the kids in the corps that DCI buys into this very controversial name technicality. Yes, they are probably within all legal rights to use such a name without inheriting the depts of the old "Velvet Knights Inc". But that doesn't mean DCI will care. They may very possibly say "sorry, but if you are going to use that name at all, you will need to pay all outstanding bills of the old organization regardless of whether you use "Inc" or "Youth Arts Organisation" at the end of your name". And DCI being a private organization, it would totally be within their rights to demand such if they wished. We shall see. I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by passionatedc

Have you guys been cleared to compete in DCI yet? How come you're not listed on at www.dci.org/corps/ or in the dci events calendar?

Common sense tells me that they are not cleared yet. If they were, they would be on the schedule. Again, all we can do is hope for the best. I really want to see the corps on the field.

Edited by passionatedc

I just hope for the sake of the kids in the corps that DCI buys into this very controversial name technicality. Yes, they are probably within all legal rights to use such a name without inheriting the depts of the old "Velvet Knights Inc". But that doesn't mean DCI will care. They may very possibly say "sorry, but if you are going to use that name at all, you will need to pay all outstanding bills of the old organization regardless of whether you use "Inc" or "Youth Arts Organisation" at the end of your name". And DCI being a private organization, it would totally be within their rights to demand such if they wished. We shall see. I'm hoping for the best.

I'm not so sure of that....if the new VK IS indeed legally a totally different group from teh old VK, why would they be obligated to pay the debts from the old corps??

Hello,

DCI is fine with us using the name, we are in constant contact with them. We're not on the schedule as of yet, because we haven't gone through the evaluation process and won't until late April. Once again thank you all for your interest in the Velvet Knights. I would be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else might have. E-mail me directly at dan@vkyao.org

Thanks again.

Dan Zeilinger

Velvet Knights

Corps Director