So, is it VK or Velvet Knights now?

Thanks for the informative responses. This certaintly clears things up in my mind. It will be great to see VK on the field again. And I can't wait to hear the announcers say "Velvet Knights" again. Good luck!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iknow d 2's that are on the schedule . My corps is all ready and so are others

I think if you read Dan's two posts in this thread, most concerns and questions about this are answered.

Dan-----

Good luck to you and VK this year. I look forward to seeing you all on the field and wish you the best. I would like to stop by one of your camps and just hang out and watch/listen if that would be OK. I cant this month because we have the same schedule as you, but maybe next month.

Wether it is VK - VKYAO - or Velvet Knights, I am sure it is going to be a quality corps worth seeing many times.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

I'm not so sure of that....if the new VK IS indeed legally a totally different group from teh old VK, why would they be obligated to pay the debts from the old corps??

Because DCI is a private organization and can do whatever they want however they want. They don't have to let any new corps field a corps on their field if they don't want to. That coupled with the fact that this whole name technicality is very controversial, added on top of the fact that the old VK supposedly owes both DCI and the IRS a ton of money may cause DCI to say "whether you title yourselves Youth Arts or Inc.; whether new organization or old; these debts need to be paid in full before we allow any corps new or old to field a drum corps on a DCI scheduled tour under the name Velvet Knights". Whether you agree with it or not, DCI does have that right.

They can actually ban any corps from competing for any reason they want. Hell, they can ban a corps if they simply don't like the color of their uniform...................or dare I even say if they don't like the "name" the director has chosen. And that may very well BE the case, as much as I hate to say it. VK was not on good terms with DCI when they folded (thanks Tom Hixon) and if DCI chooses, they can say "we don't ever want another corps on the field using the name Velvet Knights no matter where they are from or who is running it". It's the truth. You don't have to have any inside knowledge to understand this fact. It's simply how it is and far too many people seem to think they have "rights" in this activity. DCI reserves all rights. It's a private club. They can accept who they want and reject who they want.

Now, I am throwing out worse case scenario here. I'd like to think that DCI won't go to that extreme. Plus, I just love VK and would die to see them on the field again. But lets be sure we understand, DCI can do whatever they please and do not have to honor a corps request to be on their competitive field simply because they are a "different VK than the former". With that understood, lets not ignore the fact that VK obviously has some hurdles to jump over, or they would already be on the schedule. I'll say it again --- I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by passionatedc

Hello,

DCI is fine with us using the name, we are in constant contact with them. We're not on the schedule as of yet, because we haven't gone through the evaluation process and won't until late April. Once again thank you all for your interest in the Velvet Knights. I would be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else might have. E-mail me directly at dan@vkyao.org

Thanks again.

Dan Zeilinger

Velvet Knights

Corps Director

Now that is a very promising and reliable response. Understand, I am just pointing out that DCI CAN reject a corps for any reason, even if it's a "name" issue. The fact that the corps director is saying here that DCI does not have a problem with the name should be considered a huge hurdle jumped over. So if true; and I have no reason to doubt that it is; consider over half the battle to likely be won. Very cool...or should I say "too cool". :)

Hey, on a lighter note. How are the numbers for the corps? :) Are you guys Division II size?

HEY! HEY YOU!!!

There's a rehearsal this Sunday!

Caynon High School

www.vkyao.org

Come be a part of the history!

I would be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else might have. E-mail me directly at dan@vkyao.org

Thanks again.

Dan Zeilinger

Velvet Knights

Corps Director

Here's a question that really shouild be answered in a public forum...

I was walking down the street the other day when the wheels fell off my igloo. So, how many pancakes does it take to build a doghouse?

Thanks, Dan!

Garry in Vegas