So, is it VK or Velvet Knights now?

If someone wanted to use the legal name Velvet Knights, Inc. to do anything they wish... a doughnut shop, an accounting firm, a drum & bugle corps... nothing prevents them from this. The corps is legally seen as no different than a doughnut shop, and has no legal connection or obligation to the previous entity.

WOAH there, buddy. Are you trying to tell me that the Velvet Knights are a doughnut shop?

:laugh:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd chime in on the issue of people discussing usage of names and past debt...

Assumptions that the old Velvet Knights organization has outstanding debts would be a bit in accurate.

A ) The old organization no longer exist

B ) Holders of the debt have long since written this off, and it is no longer on anyone's books.

C ) More than 7 years have passed from the date of formal dissolution of the old org... no active tradmarks or incorporated entities have existed since such time... making it fairgame for anyone wanting to use the name. If someone wanted to use the legal name Velvet Knights, Inc. to do anything they wish... a doughnut shop, an accounting firm, a drum & bugle corps... nothing prevents them from this. The corps is legally seen as no different than a doughnut shop, and has no legal connection or obligation to the previous entity.

D ) There is no longer actually any tangible debt to pay, even if someone came out with a checkbook wanting to pay it. This sort of thing is written off... and once the full write off is claimed, the debt is no longer collectable.

This sort of thing happens all the time in the corporate word, with a company going under, filing bankruptcy... then resurrecting under the same brand, selling the same products, offer the same services. People should let this one go, and just be glad that another drum corps is coming up... one that certainly seems to have things a lot more together than the last group carrying the name.

Jan sez: GUMBO YA-YA! (F%&@ Acme! Eat at Felix's!)

Dan

How many wheels on the Cortina

Murray

"Have a Cortina

Have a Cortina

Have a Cortina

It gets you there"

- Otis Murray, 1970 (Sung to the tune of "Hava Nagila")

I never could figure out why your English Ford was referred to as "Chinese Junk".

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

:worthy: I like donuts

Nah, beef jerky and a lot of Diet Pepsi. Arizona drum corps road trip survival rations.

Garry in Vegas

PS Thread successfully hijacked! Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee....

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Have you guys been cleared to compete in DCI yet? How come you're not listed on at www.dci.org/corps/ or in the dci events calendar?

(sigh)

I hope more people are paying attention this time......

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, and I certainly don't speak for VK in any shape or form, but this is so ridiculously simple I'll go ahead and jump in and address it:

Simply put, DCI does have to review a new/returning corps as a FORMALITY before granting clearance to field. But ask yourself this question: Do you REALLY see DCI turning their thumbs down on any hardworking group of appropriately financed kids so as to say "Gee, thanks for trying but we dont' approve. You can go home now."

Official entries into shows can't be listed as such until official clearance from DCI is granted. Surely you don't think the people that run this fine organization, some of whom I know personally and better and more well intentioned people you couldn't find if you tried, would chance hanging these kids out to dry with no shows after ALL the effort, time and money it took to bring VK back from the dead?

Have faith.

You're a hoopy frood who knows where his towel is...

Hey Sam......can you give me a hand fixing my Bambleweeny 57 Sub-meson Brain? It's 10 is oscillating slightly off of the 9.................

Hey Sam......can you give me a hand fixing my Bambleweeny 57 Sub-meson Brain? It's 10 is oscillating slightly off of the 9.................

:ph34r::blink::huh2::huh: