Unofficial Rules Proposal Thread

So here is my rough idea. No more bonus points for finals week, helps code. and a time window to submit your changes finals week. Nothing early or late.

I'm going to take your "helps code" and one-up it, actually:

Official Rule Proposal: Eliminate bonus points during season.

Description: Bonus points would be eliminated during the season and finals week. Instead, corps in all divisions would have a higher starting salary at the beginning of the season that would remain constant throughout.

Rationale:

* A higher salary will allow directors to pick better captions, leading to better competition and higher scores.

* Removing the bonus points eliminates a lot of the "random factors" from the coding system- something that I believe will be critical down the road.

* Directors would still be able to change up to 2 captions during finals week each time they advance.

Submitted by: Matt Briddell- Kosmos

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official rule change: Penalty for late submissions

Description: Directors who exceed salary costs or miss a submission deadline will have their caption selections disallowed, and may face additional penalties at the discretion of the executive director/"timing and penalties" judge.

Rationale: As has been stated by other directors, there was controversy during finals week when some corps were allowed to submit changes after the deadline because their directors claimed they didn't see the notices for the submission deadlines. Working on the fly, John and I instituted an "unofficial" policy that directors who submitted late or went over cost would have their changes disallowed and reset to their previous settings. I believe that this should be the official policy in the future.

Initially, I had wanted to penalize offending directors further with a half-point penalty, but knew that I did not have the authority to do so because there wasn't anything in the rules about that. I believe that having the changes disallowed will be sufficient because that could typically result in not advancing to the next round during finals week. However, I believe further penalties could be effective at deterring repeat offenders. Options should include, but not be limited to:

Offending director receives a half-point penalty at their next performance.

Offending director is disqualified from their next performance.

Submitted by Matt Briddell- Kosmos

Official Rule Change: 3 rounds for Division 1 during finals week

Description: Reduce the number of rounds for division 1 from 4 to 3 during finals week if there are not enough corps to warrant four rounds of competition and use "real" scores for all those rounds.

Rationale: While we've traditionally had 4 rounds of D1 shows for most of DCPI's history, there have been some times when that's just not needed, especially during the off-seasons when turnout is lower.

* Have 3 rounds of D1 competition during finals week if there are fewer than 35 corps competing.

* If there are just 3 rounds, eliminate generated scoring and use real-time scores (when available)

* If there are more than 35 corps competing in D1, there would be four rounds, with the top 25 advancing to the second round.

Sounds like FDCI to me. Easier format to learn. No shows to keep up with. A lot less math.

This would simplify the league and I bet that we would have more corps in future seasons.

Keep the 2 changes per round for finals week though and I'll back it 100%

Official Rule Change: One Corps per director per division, and repeal the "caption-sharing" rule

Description: Competing directors may only register one corps per division, and may not register more than three corps. Additionally, the rule restricting "caption-sharing" between corps would be repealed.

Rationale:

* Opens finals up to more directors.

* Reduces flooding at shows

* Eliminates the "caption-sharing" restriction

We will be having the off-season rules congress sometime in April (stay tuned for the exact date and location). All directors are free to post any rule changes they have here. Please submit them in the following format:

Title (what will appear if/when it gets voted on)

Description: A short, one or two sentence description of the proposal.

Rationale: The salient points of the rule change.

Submitted by: Director's and corps name.

Official Rule Change: One Corps per director per division, and repeal the "caption-sharing" rule

Description: Competing directors may only register one corps per division, and may not register more than three corps. Additionally, the rule restricting "caption-sharing" between corps would be repealed.

Rationale:

* Opens finals up to more directors.

* Reduces flooding at shows

* Eliminates the "caption-sharing" restriction

FDCI system did not even allow two directors to share the same captions. Meaning if Mystre and Kosmos had wanted to pick similar captions, the system wouldnt allow it--that would settle "who sent in what first" because the system would red flag it, and that director would have to go another route.

FDCI system did not even allow two directors to share the same captions. Meaning if Mystre and Kosmos had wanted to pick similar captions, the system wouldnt allow it--that would settle "who sent in what first" because the system would red flag it, and that director would have to go another route.

I think "duel to the death" might be a more enjoyable way of resolving that... ^0^

Official Rule Change: Proposal H

Description: No DCPI corps shall EVER identify themselves as a "marching musical ensemble".

Rationale:

*Because.

Official rule change: Penalty for late submissions

Description: Directors who exceed salary costs or miss a submission deadline will have their caption selections disallowed, and may face additional penalties at the discretion of the executive director/"timing and penalties" judge.

Rationale: As has been stated by other directors, there was controversy during finals week when some corps were allowed to submit changes after the deadline because their directors claimed they didn't see the notices for the submission deadlines. Working on the fly, John and I instituted an "unofficial" policy that directors who submitted late or went over cost would have their changes disallowed and reset to their previous settings. I believe that this should be the official policy in the future.

Initially, I had wanted to penalize offending directors further with a half-point penalty, but knew that I did not have the authority to do so because there wasn't anything in the rules about that. I believe that having the changes disallowed will be sufficient because that could typically result in not advancing to the next round during finals week. However, I believe further penalties could be effective at deterring repeat offenders. Options should include, but not be limited to:

Offending director receives a half-point penalty at their next performance.

Offending director is disqualified from their next performance.

Submitted by Matt Briddell- Kosmos

No need for this rule with my idea.

Time window. You have a 12 hour window to enter caption changes. You don't, you can't make it.

The problem I had with finals week is this. I never saw that midnight deadline. Mitch didn't either. We are active and look at the boards daily.

Now with my idea here is what has to be done.

Admin would have to set dates.

First 4 weeks 3 changes per week.

After a set date, regionals, 10 changes till midnight 3/4

Finals week: 2 changes per round advanced. All changes must be made between midnight and noon following the previous rounds.

Put that on the faq and caption submission form and there is no problem. Key... DON'T CHANGE the times one week before finals.

You don't have to give penalties because you can't submit.

Take the human aspect out of this. That is what holds this league back.

Edited by CloudHype