Unofficial Rules Proposal Thread

There is no way that a Regional Division I corps is going to make finals here, unless a regular division I director chokes up and makes a big boo-boo with their captions. As it is now, Division II corps can not make divisionI finals--even if they tried.

Well, that's because they're not allowed to participate in D1 events.

After further review, I'm also liking the idea of either having a "D1 regional finals" or letting regional D1's advance as far as they can.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's because they're not allowed to participate in D1 events.

After further review, I'm also liking the idea of either having a "D1 regional finals" or letting regional D1's advance as far as they can.

Regional 1 Division Corps ARE allowed to compete at Division 1 events if they choose to. There has never been a rule against that in DCI. Pacific Crest, Mandarins (when they were more regional), and Esperanza one season did regionals and more than just one. It should be the choice of each director if they want to attend a DCPI Regional; I am sure most will attend at least a regional or a few focus shows.

And I was hitting your last paragraph in my response. It is highly unlikely that a "DCPI-Regional Division I" corps is going to advance past the 2nd or 3rd round during finals week. Sure, let them advance to as many rounds as they can get to, but the reality of it is--they probably won't get past semi-finals if they even make it that far. It is just like when we allow Division II corps to forgo their finals, to compete with division I, they usually do not score high enough to challenge or vy for a finals spot with the Division I groups.

I say, let them advance as far as they can. Adding more finals events is cool but we already have Division II, Division III, and Division I finals. Unless, you are going to have a "Regional" finals, that is just designated for Regional Division I corps, and their REGIONS (for their region), I do not see the point in having an international Regional Division I finals. They should be classified with the D1 groups at that point of the season, just as Pacific Crest was when they came to Orlando FL in 2003 and made semi-finals.

If a Regional Division I corps is truly going to be regional, then they should be doing "regional" touring. And I will also add that to my final proposal when I finish re-writing mine. They shouldn't do a national tour until about midway or close to the end of the season. Which means, I think they could compete in more than 3 shows per week, as long as its in their region (i.e. Pacific Crest doing a lot of Division II/III shows during the week, while the other D1 corps are competing elsewhere). Lets not deviate from what "regional" is. I have a feeling a lot of directors will try to use this Regional thing, as way to have that extra D1 corps, and make it do a full national tour. That is not what Regional (anything) means.

Edited by Matthew

I had a div 2 corps in semis, The parliament got 15th. In season 4 Menagerie for a couple weeks was in the top 12 with score although they where div 2.

I can get a corps between div 1 and 2 points into finals.

Not when the finals scores are no longer generated. Back when you competed with said corps, the finals scores were generated, so it worked on the D2 point allotment. There is no way you could get a D2 corps into D1 finals with the point alloment for them now. And it really depends on how many active directors there are in Division 1. If there are enough solid directors who can be within inches of each other from 1st through 12th, there is no way you are getting a corps between D1 and D2 into finals--one regional corps might edge in, but I don't think the possibilities are high.

And your standing with Menagerie had more to do with some Division I corps not participating at that point, or corps not having shows throughout that time. The same can be said for Parliment and other corps making good semifinals appearances. Yes, the odds change, when directors are not active...it allows some cool stuff to happen, like D2 corps being able to show off in D1.

Had Division II finals scores been generated this season, I think we would have had a case of some Division II corps being in the "semifinals" tier of Division I.

It is possible (more so in the middle of the season) for the points in Division I and II to be very stagnate, allowing Division II corps to outscore some Division I corps, but its usually the lower of the pack ones. We saw that this season.

Edited by Matthew

I'll just one up on part Matts proposal.

A director running a Division I corps, and a Regional Division I corps, may not share any captions. Regional Division I corps are still considered "Division I" when it comes to competition, thus making them Division I corps in the end. While the point values differ, all it takes is just a few captions to make them "similar" or close to. Again, this goes back to "If corps are truly their own identity..."

If sharing captions no problem. Not sharing, I'll knock corps out of semis.

Live season... Possible to get one in. Hard,

but possible. I'm talking finals.

I am not saying it isnt possible to get a Regional D1 corps into semifinals, but I am not buying finals. It will be a looooong hard stretch. Remember, finals scores are real scores, not generated--what you experienced in your first two seasons (generated finals scores) I would be more than willing to say sure Regional D1 points could make it to finals, but not in this current system.

If you are sharing captions, you will get close, but you will be 20 points short of what a real D1 corps is able to use. I think that is where you are missing the ball. With 20+ other directors having 20 more points than a regional D1 corps, it really doesn't favor in you getting a RD1 corps into finals. Semifinals yes, big possibility.

I'm just using LOGIC. Division I will have 20 full points more to play with. Basically Regional D1 and Division 2 are going to be closer in point value than anything.

Official Rule Change: Troopers and Academy values

Withdrawn

Hmm... so 117 points points. I'll figure something tonight. I'll pretend Oracle is regional div 1 and use this seasons scores.

Regional Division I corps are not going to get that many bonus points throughout the season... I think they may only get 2 or 3 total. Not the 5 like all the other divisions get.