Unofficial Rules Proposal Thread

Proposal H: Allow the use of electronic instruments in the front ensemble. This would include synthesizer keyboards, electric wind instruments, and drum kits. Also allow the use of non brass instruments such as woodwinds to the field.

Rationale: This expands the musical possibilities that a band--I mean corps can use to enhance their show. There should be no limits as to what these marching music ensembles can do to produce their music. If a corps wants to experiment with a sax solo, they should be able to use that--if it works, it works, if doesnt, they have learned their lesson. But a director should be able to use all musical aspects to produce their program.

Submitted by - Tri-Color DBC

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official DCPI Rule Change: New schedule format- trial basis.

Description: For season 8, replace the traditional "regional finals/national tour" format with a longer national tour that has "focus shows" each weekend, on a one-season trial basis.

7/6-7: 2 day prelims/finals event

Allentown PA (D1)

Hershey PA (D2/3)

7/14: Single day event, open to all divisions

Toronto Ontario

Atlanta GA

7/20-21: 2 day prelims/finals event

Kansas City MO (D1)

Bloomington IL (D2/3)

7/28: Single day event, open to all divisions

San Antonio TX

Denver CO

8/4: Single day event, open to all divisions

Phoenix AZ

San Diego CA

8/7-11: Finals Week

* This would better simulate DCI's tour schedule model.

* Fewer "split regionals" would create more opportunities to get all corps together at one show on the same day.

* Brings the west coast corps out east much earlier than normal, since they are hosting finals this coming season.

There would of course still be regular events in between the major events. I'd like to try this for one season and see how it works. Perhaps it's something we could consider for "live seasons", and do the regional system during off-seasons.

Proposal H: Allow the use of electronic instruments in the front ensemble. This would include synthesizer keyboards, electric wind instruments, and drum kits. Also allow the use of non brass instruments such as woodwinds to the field.

Rationale: This expands the musical possibilities that a band--I mean corps can use to enhance their show. There should be no limits as to what these marching music ensembles can do to produce their music. If a corps wants to experiment with a sax solo, they should be able to use that--if it works, it works, if doesnt, they have learned their lesson. But a director should be able to use all musical aspects to produce their program.

Submitted by - Tri-Color DBC

I thought your corps had already been doing this?

Im going to support Jeff Hintons "Regional" idea this year.

Basically, he mentioned something about having a "Regional" contest, where all corps from a specific region would be involved. So all West Coast Region corps would compete at some point, to declare a "Regional Champion". His idea is that if a corps is traveling outside of their region, we really arent having "Regional Championships"--they are more like the DCI Model (which is great). But I think it would be cool to have a real "Regional Championship"--probably close to the beg of the season, while most corps are still in their respective regions, prior to the full national tour....then we can have our focus regional shows where its all and all!

Jeff will hopefully elaborate on this.

I thought your corps had already been doing this?

We have, but we want it legalized, so we can stop getting penalized! If I remember correctly, the two seasons we beat you, were when we had woodwinds :P (I keeeeed)

Edited by Matthew

Official Rule Change: Proposal H

Description: No DCPI corps shall EVER identify themselves as a "marching musical ensemble".

Rationale:

*Because.

Submitted by: Matt Briddell- Kosmos

Why not? That is what this about. How about a "Fantasy Marching Music Ensemble"? :)

I gotta say I really don't like the starting with higher caption point allowance idea. For a variety of reasons:

1. It favors those of us who don't actually want to take the time to play

1a. We'd just have to pick one set of captions and coast, where's the fun in that?!

2. Scores would start really high and then not go anywhere. This season they were pretty realistic, even without all the weird changes in the early season, no big deal anyways.

3. Honestly, I love having new directors in here, but what's the challenge in this if we change these rules? We will have effectively lowered the standards and created, well, no reason for people to compete, which is why the changes are fun, cuz it CAN change and it's a challenge to everyone! IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO PLAY. Cuz well, duh, if you don't take the time and effort - you won't win! Learn the game!

That being said, I'd like to make a change to the rule as it is now. Maybe we could do a point bonus once every week, regardless of how many shows. It would account in the real world for lots of work done in a week with no shows. Also we would be able to deal with a "due date" and then have captions be disallowed or a penalty like discussed earlier. No extra points come finals week, two changes per round - scores don't move much in real life anyways come finals week.

This is something that I'm going to be talking with John about more to see what exactly we can and can't handle.

I gotta say I really don't like the starting with higher caption point allowance idea. For a variety of reasons:

1. It favors those of us who don't actually want to take the time to play

1a. We'd just have to pick one set of captions and coast, where's the fun in that?!

2. Scores would start really high and then not go anywhere. This season they were pretty realistic, even without all the weird changes in the early season, no big deal anyways.

3. Honestly, I love having new directors in here, but what's the challenge in this if we change these rules? We will have effectively lowered the standards and created, well, no reason for people to compete, which is why the changes are fun, cuz it CAN change and it's a challenge to everyone! IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO PLAY. Cuz well, duh, if you don't take the time and effort - you won't win! Learn the game!

That being said, I'd like to make a change to the rule as it is now. Maybe we could do a point bonus once every week, regardless of how many shows. It would account in the real world for lots of work done in a week with no shows. Also we would be able to deal with a "due date" and then have captions be disallowed or a penalty like discussed earlier. No extra points come finals week, two changes per round - scores don't move much in real life anyways come finals week.

Speaking as a director that competed in a league that didn't have bonus points:

DCPI is easier... it just takes a lot more work and time.

Do you mean time in finding what works best for you or the implementation of it? 'Cuz I find the work that goes into doing the best you can one of the best things about the league. Why make the game 'easier'? So what if there's a steep learning curve, I maintain it makes it all the sweeter when you've mastered it.

That's just my $.02.