Ready ... Set ... Complain!

They? Who exactly is 'THEY"?..... You mean George? I don't believe 06 was pushing the envelope at all. IMO, it was more like a bunch of rehashed BOA stuff. I still respect the efforts of the Kids, and they did have some very fine moments in their program. I just feel the Cadets/George/They have strayed a little last year from what they do so well. I think sometimes George is more worried about the agenda than producing a fantastic corps which he has done so many times. I'll be honest Mike, I was really looking forward to the Cadets in 07. The music book sounded really great, until I read there would be singing and narration. It just spoiled my appetite.

Hey people clapped to it last year, they'll clap to it again. Eventually people are going to stop complaining if they keep their root, it's only a matter of time. Just like many art movements in the past, they'll end up accepted by the mass who originally spurned them.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh, drum corps is evolving. As much as you all would hate to admit, The Cadets are a major reason why Drum Corps is what it is today. If it wasn’t for George, there would still marching timpani on the field as members march from straight line to straight line. And if George didn’t bring his ideas and get the staff to develop the marching techniques that make drum corps what it is today, somebody else would have. If George didn’t push to get amplification/voice, somebody else would have. As it was already discussed it takes more than just Mr. Hopkin's vote to get something passed. So get over it and realize that Drum Corps is evolving and changing just like everything else on this planet. I swear reading some your opinions almost makes me ashamed of being a part of drum corps. This is about the members that work their tails off all summer for their chance to feel great. You owe it to the members of every corps to sit and watch the hard work of the members throughout the season. I marched for the fans (most of you), I marched for the appreciation at the end of the show that brought the crowd to their feet. If there are any present cadets reading this thread, best of luck this summer and show these people just what it means to be a Cadet.

"Thank you, you have a very nice drum corps"

Not my opinion, just facts of life.

If it wasn’t for George, there would still marching timpani on the field as members march from straight line to straight line.

Someone needs to learn their DC history before they post.... :laugh:

They list two member groups of the YEA! organization as "The Cadet Marching Music Ensemble" and "The Crossmen Marching Music Ensemble".
When DCI goes belly up, they want to make sure they have all their base covered!!

Just like many art movements in the past, they'll end up accepted by the mass who originally spurned them.

I wonder how Israel feels about "artists" like Richard Wagner. I wonder if Wagner is ever played on stage in Israel. If so, do those people rise to their feet and applaud a performance the likes of "Parsifal?"

Elmo Blatch

Hey people clapped to it last year, they'll clap to it again. Eventually people are going to stop complaining if they keep their root, it's only a matter of time. Just like many art movements in the past, they'll end up accepted by the mass who originally spurned them.

In this case a lot of the people who spurned the direction DCI is going stopped going to shows. I don't see these people eventually coming back.

Oh wait... they're not in the DCI target audience anyway. :blink: ^0^

Elmo: Another bad business move is starting a VW dealship in Tel Aviv... :laugh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Well if you or anyone else wants to gang up on me then go ahead because frankly I am going to keep speaking my mind just as everyone else on this forum does. Lots of people blast The Cadets and expect others to just sit here and keep their thoughts to themselves. I don't lambast anyone for speaking their minds. I simply offer my opinion and any counterpoints on the subject matter. Seems to me you have a personal vendetta against me and you haven't met me. I have never ONCE insulted you. But you seem to be so immature that you would call me out and insult me on a conversation that didn't even pertain to you. Do whatever you want and I will do the same. I like what I like and you like what you like.
ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?!!! You have nothing more significant to complain about other than three words that only TWO drum corps are using? This is rediculous

An insult to everyone who disagreed with you.

I am really sure YEA is gonna miss your donations fellow "alum." Thanks for jumping on the bandwagon

An insult in the form of sarcasm.

I am sure your comments won't be missed much.

An insult.

Thanks for the note Mr. Nitpicky. Is that spelled right?

Insult.

Oh trust me, I understand. I just don't understand how someone can be so presumptuously negative about a season that hasn't even started yet. Look at it from my point of view....oh wait, you can't because you've never marched.

Insult.

And these are from just this thread only. I disagree with MikeD. I disagree with Stef. Yet they don't insult me and I don't insult them. We state our opinions and even called each other out without character judgements of the person. You are sarcastic and derogatory. There's a big difference. State your opinions passionately, that's what this forum is about. Leave the digs out and all will be good. Trust me.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

The 1967 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights were a "marching music ensemble" just as much as the 2007 Cadets.

I will give you $500. no questions asked if you can find a single person afiliated with the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights" Drum and Bugle Corps"in 1967 that referred to themselves as " Marching Music Ensemble " instead of " Drum and Bugle Corps. " This is Revisionist History used to justify a 2007 unit's confusion on what they are..... and is simply factual incorrect. Sac knew PRECISELY what they were in 1967. They were a " Drum and Bugle Corps ".

And these are from just this thread only. I disagree with MikeD. I disagree with Stef. Yet they don't insult me and I don't insult them. We state our opinions and even called each other out without character judgements of the person. You are sarcastic and derogatory. There's a big difference. State your opinions passionately, that's what this forum is about. Leave the digs out and all will be good. Trust me.

Wow, you're being a tad bit oversensitive I think. If all it took was sarcasm to be characterized as someone who goes around insulting and disrespecting another, this place would have been shut down long ago. The only real name he called anyone was Mr. Nitpicky...that's about the least offensive name I've seen anyone be called on this site. And nowhere in the DCP Guidelines did I read anything about not being allowed to be sarcastic. In fact, the word sarcasm is nowhere to be found in those guidelines. Derogatory? I wouldn't classify anything you quoted as being gross examples of being derogatory. Emotional? Passionate? Opinionated? You bet. I can think of a number of high profile DCP members who post in a similar fashion. But if it was so derogatory, all you have to do is hit the report button and let a moderator decide. If you do and they don't close down the thread, then I guess it's not as derogatory as you think.

Maybe I'm saying this because I know Tekk personally and I know he's a good guy who is perhaps being a bit overly defensive, but then again it's difficult for me to blame him when the corps he loves is getting blasted left and right by lots of people around here. I'm not saying that the Cadets are or should be above being criticized, but it's a lot to handle sometimes when you love something as much as he loves that corps. And maybe I know what that feels like because I've come to the defense of my own corps numerous times online when it's been attacked in a manner in which I think is unfair.

Point is, there are a lot of borderline comments on DCP that can be considered insulting IF the person they are addressed to takes it that way. Otherwise, isn't it just heated and passionate discussion? Aren't we all guilty of tip-toeing across that line every now and then? Would you like someone to go through every one of YOUR posts to pick out isolated phrases that can be construed as just as insulting or disrespectful as anything you think Tekk wrote?? I'm sure we can find some if we look long enough. I guess I'm just looking for a higher level of understanding in all of this (from everybody). We're all passionate about this activity even though we may not always agree. And now that we've all broken the DCP guidelines by taking this thread off-topic, why don't we just let it go and move onto something else. First drink's on me? :laugh:

Oh my gosh, drum corps is evolving. As much as you all would hate to admit, The Cadets are a major reason why Drum Corps is what it is today. If it wasn't for George, there would still marching timpani on the field as members march from straight line to straight line. And if George didn't bring his ideas and get the staff to develop the marching techniques that make drum corps what it is today, somebody else would have. If George didn't push to get amplification/voice, somebody else would have. As it was already discussed it takes more than just Mr. Hopkin's vote to get something passed. So get over it and realize that Drum Corps is evolving and changing just like everything else on this planet. I swear reading some your opinions almost makes me ashamed of being a part of drum corps. This is about the members that work their tails off all summer for their chance to feel great. You owe it to the members of every corps to sit and watch the hard work of the members throughout the season. I marched for the fans (most of you), I marched for the appreciation at the end of the show that brought the crowd to their feet. If there are any present cadets reading this thread, best of luck this summer and show these people just what it means to be a Cadet.

"Thank you, you have a very nice drum corps"

Not my opinion, just facts of life.

I don't think anyone is resisting the fact that drum corps is evolving. It is the direction that it is revolving that some people don't like. I love how the drills have evolved, they blow me away. Cadets have been spearheading that movement for 25 years or so. However, timpani were being grounded before George took the helm in Garfield. Let's not get too carried away with what George has done.

By the way, I do watch every drum corps before passing judgement and deciding if I want to see it again. I marched for the very same reason you did.