Ready ... Set ... Complain!

Thought I'd tie the two threads together by quoting from the thread on The Cadets donation of a food truck to the Raiders.

It's an interesting reflection of DCP when 7259 members check out the "complain about the YEA! website" but only 2164 check out the good deed they did for the Raiders. In addition, 289 people felt compassionate enough to fill 29 pages about the YEA! site but only 33 of us acknowledged The Cadets' generousity on only 4 pages.

Where are our priorities? Is this what we call drum corps?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know George Hopkins' job was to implement every suggestion that every person not involved in the YEA organization had to offer. I thought HE was the director, not everyone else. I don't think that's being disrespectful, I just think it's doing what's best for the organization.

I see your point, and I agree. He is the director and has every right to do as he sees fit. You're correct. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem to phase George at all that so many disagree with his position. There's an arrogance that says I'm right, everyone else is wrong. I admire his determination and his fearlessness , but I don't think he does a good job of convincing people of the virtues of his positions. Let's look at the 2000's, The Cavaliers just keep racking up the titles while the Cadets are playing with silly rabbits, fire trucks, baton twirlers, extended voice and props. Why all gimmicks? I'll take the old Cadets that did it with great marching and playing. That's the Cadet Drum Corps I want to see. I was hoping this year would be different, only to hear we're now going to have voice (probably singing) and narration. What a huge disappointment.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I see your point, and I agree. He is the director and has every right to do as he sees fit. You're correct. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem to phase George at all that so many disagree with his position. There's an arrogance that says I'm right, everyone else is wrong. I admire his determination and his fearlessness , but I don't think he does a good job of convincing people of the virtues of his positions. Let's look at the 2000's, The Cavaliers just keep racking up the titles while the Cadets are playing with silly rabbits, fire trucks, baton twirlers, extended voice and props. Why all gimmicks? I'll take the old Cadets that did it with great marching and playing. That's the Cadet Drum Corps I want to see. I was hoping this year would be different, only to hear we're now going to have narration.

Can you blame him for trying to do something different? And since you want to bring up titles, why is no one complaining about BD, or SCV winning titles lately? I do remember Cadets winning (and winning all captions, I might add) in 2005 and that was WITH the amps, the wierd show, the characters.

Can you blame him for trying to do something different? And since you want to bring up titles, why is no one complaining about BD, or SCV winning titles lately? I do remember Cadets winning (and winning all captions, I might add) in 2005 and that was WITH the amps, the wierd show, the characters.

You make some good points. SCV had the 05 meltdown after a great effort in 04 and haven't come back to full speed. BD has been very close, (won in 03), but seem to be step behind the green team. The 05 Cadets were a great drum corps indeed, no arguments from me on that account. But, the characters and the weird show took a secondary role to their great playing and marching. I didn't choke on the cheese. I remember an old saying, Trix are for kids. (Silly Rabbit) I just wish the Cadets would get back to what they do well, which is to play and march their #### off. Leave the singing for choirs.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Doesn't DCI stand for drum corps international, not drum and bugle corps international?

Yeah but DCI ain't too consistent in dropping "and bugle" from their press releases and ESPN telecast.

And someone better tell DCW to quit putting that pesky "and bugle" phrase in both DCI and DCA articles. :grouphug:

I have to wonder (and I know someone else brought up the possibility in this thread) as to whether members and alumni of these corps raised cane over the name change...to the point of even telling them " You changed the name AFTER I signed a contract...this is deception and misrepresentation on the corps' part; and I demand my release and my fees back!"

Words...and titles...do have meaning. Members who signed up for a DRUM CORPS would have a legal point on this one; and maybe DCI recognized the problem and contacted YEA over this. They might have gone too far this time.

Did you actually read The Cadets section of the website? They never changed the name of the corps.

Yes, you heard it right. Everyone is entitled to a broad definition as to what constitutes a " Drum and Bugle Corps ". Webster's defintion has even changed over the years. From my perspective, 1984 had no singer on the field as a performer that took center stage and sang into a microphone to the point that the Brass and Percussion parts were obscured by her singing. When a singer (or singers )sing into a microphone and relegates the brass and Percussion sections to a background ACCOMPANIMENT to the center stage, focal point singer, then yes, it is no longer a " Drum and Bugle Corps "in my opinion. What IS such a unit ? Well," Marching Music Ensemble " seems an apt description. It's certainly more appropriate and more properly descriptive to call such a unit that than a " Drum and Bugle Corps ". If you studied music, I presume that you know the definition of " music ensemble ". That's why this poster ( and apparently a few others ) were ok with The Cadets calling themselves a "Marching Music Ensemble ". It fits. Perfectly. Why they then felt the need to abandon that phrase for " Drum Corps " on their website today is sort of perplexing. They are, in fact, a Marching Music Ensemble. Or they have been in the recent past anyway. This poster is not really sure what they'll be this year. From the looks of things, they're apparently a litte confused on what to call themselves as well.

The 1967 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights were a "marching music ensemble" just as much as the 2007 Cadets.

I see your point, and I agree. He is the director and has every right to do as he sees fit. You're correct. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem to phase George at all that so many disagree with his position. There's an arrogance that says I'm right, everyone else is wrong. I admire his determination and his fearlessness , but I don't think he does a good job of convincing people of the virtues of his positions. Let's look at the 2000's, The Cavaliers just keep racking up the titles while the Cadets are playing with silly rabbits, fire trucks, baton twirlers, extended voice and props. Why all gimmicks? I'll take the old Cadets that did it with great marching and playing. That's the Cadet Drum Corps I want to see. I was hoping this year would be different, only to hear we're now going to have voice (probably singing) and narration. What a huge disappointment.

I prefer The Cadets to do whatever they think best...and to continue to push the envelope, as we did even in MY era with Garfield. Sometimes things will click placement-wise, as in 05...and sometimes not, as in 06. I still enjoyed the 06 show a lot, as I do lots of corps shows that are not in the top 3.

Excuse me?!!! You have no idea who I am bro. How dare you try to insult me. You weren't in on the conversation at all. He and I agreed to disagree and have called a truce on this subject. I said nothing to you so why don't you keep your nose out of it.

Because you do it to everyone who disagrees with you and you do it in an insulting manner. I wrote the comment before you agreed to disagree. But that doesn't matter, you lambast anyone who takes a position counter to yours. You didn't even get the humor when I used it and the emoticcons used commonly to show the humor and decided to go off on me further in another thread. I have seen you do it to other people too, so I gave Adam a heads up and he can decide for himself what he wants to do. That's all. If you want to have a private conversation with Adam and have others keep their noses out of it, then pm him. Public posting is open to public response. By the way, someone else gave me the same warning about you in a different thread.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27