Contra Numbers for 2007

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ten contras is more than enough. Much more than ten typically results in a overly bottom-heavy, muddy, dull, "dark" sound from the horn line. Ten provides the right balance for the current number of horns in most lines.

Wow, I didn't realize the 16 contras in Star '92 hornline made us sound muddy and dull at all . I'll take "dark" sound as a compliment.

Apples and oranges I guess. I really like building the hornline from the bottom up. That's just me. I'd rather have more "cake" than "icing" ;)

Edited by Medeabrass

how many contras played Close Encounters?

Sorry I don't remember the corps or year, I'm a youngin :doh:

I'm also pretty sure they didn't march that many for the whole show?

I think you're talking about Star 86. I think it was 20. The euphoniums picked up Contras for that segment.

The three years that I marched Bluecoats we marched 10 contras, I feel (especially the last two years) that has been sufficient.

However they've made the move to 12 this year, which I think is a good call.

I really think it all depends on the style of music played. For phantom when they're playing darker classical pieces, it almost requires that bass heavy deep sound. With blue devils they're usually lighter and jazzier, no need to have more than 10. Can you imagine Devs with 16 contras (granted I'd love to see them march, because those guys know how to move that horn on the field)?

Just my three cents

Any chance they'll atleast do 16 again?

A friend of mine is on the Regiment Contraline and They're using 12 this year... :( But honestly, I've never marched in a line with 12 but it never seemed to be a problem for us..