Pre DCI groups

I and many others have written plenty in our time (look it up), and we always treated our sources with respect.

Hello: Care to clarify? Is there a specific article that didn't meet your satisfaction from the Volume I? I, for one, devoted a great amount of time reviewing all the previously published information and contacted dozens and dozens of people who were there. Approximately 1 year of time, in fact. I have a listing of all of the sources and correspondences. Three large binders full of documentation.

I have to admit that there was never a lack of people willing to take credit for innovations and developments, even when logic dictated their assertions were highly unlikely or outright impossible. The sources of information for the section on the evolution of the bugle were cited throughout the article and I have yet to receive any comments from readers suggesting errors were made--even though I invited this sort of feedback with the hopes errors could be corrected and continue to invite it online.

Here's chapter 3 from volume one that is being republished on The Middle Horn Leader (final section will be uploaded next month): Please tell me where the errors are (with your verifiable documentation) and I'll make adjustments:

The Evolution of the Bugle

Otherwise, please have the courage to identify the subjects of your criticism.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's less obvious, though, to your fellow fanatics who are too close to the trees to see the forest but more obvious to the D&BC veterans like myself (most of whom shunned all the mincing, prancing foolishness decades ago) is that your "history" book is a farce because the veterans who were there weren't contacted, and if you had taken the time to absorb what I said about that, you could have grasped that the reason your requests for contributions were ignored is because the D&BC greats of years past - the veterans - don't like what your activity has become and don't come to your events or read your publications, understand?

Wow - where to start?

Your rant is self-contradictory. You say the vets weren't contacted, then you say they were but refused to respond for some reason. Oops.

Now, for that reason - they don't like where the activity has gone, so they refuse to write about it's former greatness? That makes no sense. Furthermore, you speak of "your events" and "your publications" as if they belong to the same entity. Today's events are run by DCI and DCA, not the history book's author or contributing writers.

Like I said before ("if you had taken the time to absorb it"), Steve Vickers contacted hundreds of people, veterans among them, seeking written contributions. He also networked, urging those people to suggest other people to contact as either potential writers or to be interviewed for their first-hand knowledge. Perhaps your ego still smarts from not being one of those contacted (not knowing who you are, I can't say for sure) - but no one knows everyone personally. Inevitably, someone whose contribution deserves to be there will have to swallow their pride (should it be that swollen) and volunteer their insight. If they don't, then who's shunning who?

And I'm only here because someone forwarded this topic.

Well, at least you were invited this time.

It's arrogant to even suggest that you needn't reach out to those who lived the period and that they - we - should somehow find you.

I never suggested that. Once again, there was plenty of "reaching out" going on.

"I ended up writing a chapter for that book covering corps I had no personal contact with, had never even seen, and never lived within 1000 miles of - because if I hadn't, they would have been left out too."

And you admit that? Writing a "history" with no research only to be able to say somebody did?

No research?

When I said I "had no personal contact" with the corps, that means I didn't march, rehearse, instruct or volunteer with them. That does not mean I never contacted people in the course of researching the chapter.

I and many others have written plenty in our time (look it up), and we always treated our sources with respect.

Look what up? You haven't mentioned your name....

Unlike the way you treat those who came after you....

...(most of whom shunned all the mincing, prancing foolishness decades ago)...

Dear Mr. Anonymous Hup234,

It is entirely possible that the generation before you looked at what you did as "not my drum corps", too. Before you completely dismiss the efforts of Steve Vickers and a host of people who gave hours and hours to research and contacting veterans from the pre-1970 era, be happy they took the time to attempt a chronicle of the history of drum corps. Think about that phrase, and consider how difficult of a challenge that was. You can't blame them for the lack of response to their inquiries. I would think you and many others would have jumped at the chance to tell today's drum corps how it was in the "good old days."

Something else to consider is that as storage media have improved, so has the ability to archive information. Of course there's more information about the last 20 years. There are better ways to store and retrieve information.

Can you point me to a website with your research? Or a library? Or can you photocopy and mail it to me? I'd love to read your history as I was just getting in to drum corps in 1970.

Garry Parker

Velvet Knights 71-73

VK Staff 79-84

VK Alumni Coordinator 07-??

(There's my info. Where's yours?)

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• 2 weeks later...

The silence from Hup234 is deafening. Guess he must have closets of slip-slides he cannot sell :worthy:

Or his anoymous research you cannot find...well, back on topic..

Scooter...just saw your website..am looking forward to installment #4. Lots of info I was not aware of... :)

Was even surprised at the amount of Bb bugles around! I guess you can bugle in other keys.. b**bs

Scooter...just saw your website..am looking forward to installment #4. Lots of info I was not aware of...

Was even surprised at the amount of Bb bugles around! I guess you can bugle in other keys..

Hello PB:

Thanks for taking time to read the article. I often wonder if those corps choosing to utilize B-flat bugles in the 1930s received a lot of criticism from the G-pitched counterparts. I secretly hope it was a much more civil time.

I’ve always liked the crispness of the B-flat G-D bugles. The resident drum and bugle corps of West Point is probably one of the very best remaining G-D B-flat corps in existence. If you haven’t visited their site and listened to some of their online recordings, you’re in for a rare treat:

http://www.usma.edu/Band/recordings/hellcats.htm

Thanks again for the note!

Rumor has it that Don Warren is writing a book. It is said the the book is in the hands of the publishers and is due out, hopefully, by the end of the year or in time for the corps 60th next year.

Obviously, the book will be heavily tilted toward the history of the Cavaliers, but I have a feeling there will be a lot of pre-DCI historical information from the 50's and 60's.

Scooter.....thanks for your input and the link. Always glad to see articles that "get it right". I was very pleased to see the notation about the 'Bersag' horn........used by the Italian Armies in WWI.....by Regimenti Bersaglieri & others.

Jimbalaya

The History of Druma and Bugle Corps Vol I and II

Rumor has it that Don Warren is writing a book. It is said the the book is in the hands of the publishers and is due out, hopefully, by the end of the year or in time for the corps 60th next year.

Hello Mitch:

A Don Warren memoir would be quite an interesting read. Heck, it makes one wish HBO would create a dramatic series from it. Maybe add another couple of seasons of "The Sopranos II."

Who would play Don?