Is DCA dead?

You might want to check out the Web sites on Gary's signature/profile.....OR just go to eriethunderbirds.com Assuming you get the WWW in Ca. (just sayin........)

Hardy har har.

:whistle:

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I no longer have official ties to a corps. I resigned from MBI in January due to some health problems in my back.

2) I think that the corps should all be working together to help each other out by running their own DCA shows, etc. but DCM proved that the local based corps (as a rule) do not have the resources to organize and run profitable shows at the DCA or Div. II/III level, which is especially true if you are just beginning that process of starting up a show. Even Div. I struggle with the resources of people to start up a profitable show. Plus, DCI is convenient to many of us in the Midwest for field show work (getting paid for field show work), and it takes a lot of energy and communication to collaborate with other corps, especially people who are already stressed to the max running their own corps (on a part time basis).

3) Yes, I think DCA should be moving towards more part-time/full time workers through a slow, but deliberate process of running a championships and a few regional shows. It is more imperative that the association have some dedicated people to growing the association, because the corps management is part time. It takes vision, a plan, people to implement the plan and patience to let things continue to be successful.

4) a few select people are paid a small stipend to work on the behalf of DCA. again, small. with regional and championship shows, you will bring MORE corps and MORE audience together for the RIGHT amount of work. Many corps are willing to travel to make DCA work, but it is really a push onto your membership, staff and management if you travel to a show of 5 corps and 500 people in the stands. Traveling to 1 regional and championships for every corps should create an infrastructure where the synergy works and all components can be successful. Corps performing at high levels, more audience members coming to large regional shows (and then eventually traveling to finals or another regional), a DCA office that is functioning and able to do the amount of work and preparation for a national level association. In another part of this thread I shared a business plan that if 1/5 as successful monetarily should help DCA build the infrastructure necessary.

5) What did DCM prove? DCM proved that when we eliminated the rule that corps had to run DCM shows, most corps did not run DCM shows. Many corps would choose to run DCI shows instead of DCM shows. Which was only part of the reason DCM went by the way...

this was a complex situation. I learned many things about people wanting to work together, but not really working together...

It took DCI all of Pesceone's regime as well as a few others after him to successfully pull that organization out of somebody's basement, now look at it. I do not dream of DCA being a $10 million corporation, but I do see it working at a different level than the current, to serve the members of DCA to a higher level.

good questions. did I answer them?

for the most part yes,....................#4 I was not aware that DCA had paid staff,............I completely agree with your #3, your point in #2 is well taken, but you have to start somewhere, sometime, and be in it for the long haul, for the corps overall growth at home to gain members and a local fan support base............#5 well what else is there to say

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a prepared statement:

I love drum corps.

Thank you for your attention.

P.S. I also love Gary Matczak.............but in a TOTALLY non gay way..........

Hey Bro's and Gals, I just wanted to post and say howdy to the broken record club. B)

Howdy! Whut up?

The Cabelleros are a corps that thousands of people in MPLS would love to see again. They used to travel the world over to win championships and the heart of the people. Of course, in those days much of the travel was underwritten by the American Legions, VFWs and to a lesser extent Shriners. Now the American Legions and VFWs are sponsoring baseball tournaments. Will the Cabs ever travel to the Midwest again?

The same question could be asked of the corps that have survived the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s.

What would it take to get The Bucs, Cabs, Empire, Skyliners, Syracuse, etc. to come into the Midwest for a competition? I'm not mandating that they should do this, just asking what it would take. This would surely help MBI, Chops, Govies, Kilties, Lakeshorement, Frontier, etc. bring more audience members to our competitions and spread the good word of DCA as a professional entertainment product to the Midwest AND in return draw an interested crowd back east for Championships or other Regional Competitions.

Edited by Brent

The Cabelleros are a corps that thousands of people in MPLS would love to see again. They used to travel the world over to win championships and the heart of the people. Of course, in those days much of the travel was underwritten by the American Legions, VFWs and to a lesser extent Shriners. Now the American Legions and VFWs are sponsoring baseball tournaments. Will the Cabs ever travel to the Midwest again?

The same question could be asked of the corps that have survived the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s.

What would it take to get The Bucs, Cabs, Empire, Skyliners, Syracuse, etc. to come into the Midwest for a competition? I'm not mandating that they should do this, just asking what it would take. This would surely help MBI, Chops, Govies, Kilties, Lakeshorement, Frontier, etc. bring more audience members to our competitions and spread the good word of DCA as a professional entertainment product to the Midwest AND in return draw an interested crowd back east for Championships or other Regional Competitions.

And if no corps can make it, I am sure that we can put together an absolutely breathtaking edition of Crunchy Frog to represent DCA. ^0^ :P

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a prepared statement:

I love drum corps.

Thank you for your attention.

P.S. I also love Gary Matczak.............but in a TOTALLY non gay way..........

And now for Tapper's prepared statement.......

I also love drum corps.

and I love rich skare in a totally gay way.

And now for Tapper's prepared statement.......

I also love drum corps.

and I love rich skare in a totally gay way.

My statement is as follows:

I love drum corps and ALL of you in a totally Lesbian way.

Except a few of you and you know who you are.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^