Madison Camp 3/25 - DRUMS & HORNS

ya know, I seem to remember Cavies and Cadets having 16+ hour rehearsal days (EVEN during finals week) back when I marched...but I'm sure the staff had no reason or goal in mind when they did it...ya know, I doubt they even knew what sections they were teching. B)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to hear the positive report and that it seems like it's

going to be a very entertaining show!

I guess the many staff changes haven't hurt them too much. Glad to hear something positive about Madison, perhaps they will surprise some people this season. :)

We won't know for sure until the season starts, but the news is certainly is encouraging. I'm one skeptic who hopes to be proven wrong. Glad to hear such an encouraging report. I'm really looking forward to seeing this program. I agree though, doing a visual block till 2:00 in the morning is kinda crazy.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I had the pleasure of attending today also for the ensemble music peformance. They take the field to "Uninvited" and it is very cool sounding with the mix of vocals, brass, and percussion. Dark, driving, and recognizable. They vamp the end of Uninvited until "You may take the field for competition..." And then they hammer you with the beginning of Kasmir. What a smoking tune. It's easy to listen to, but has enough complexity to keep you coming back for more on a repeated listen. After that they do the ballad, which sounds great. The rest of the book is still in the works. I do know they are closing with a tune from Moulin Rouge (Tango de Roxanne).

I know I have home team bias, but this show so far has that Madison familiarity to it that's been missing the past several years. And from the current staff that I know, they have the kids so far to knock out a big show this year. Let's just say a prayer that the guard is strong when they join the rest of the corps for camp next month. To be frank, I am tired of the Scouts fielding guards that seem to be at least a step behind the other two sections.

Don't bother. He doesn't know much about that.

NOT cool, man. Why don't we keep the conversation on topic, rather than throwing out personal jabs at people's corps. I happen to be good friends with two ECJ soloists, and they are awesome guys. So, unless you have something to say about Madison, I suggest you think twice before posting in this thread.

<snip>

I know I have home team bias, but this show so far has that Madison familiarity to it that's been missing the past several years. And from the current staff that I know, they have the kids so far to knock out a big show this year. Let's just say a prayer that the guard is strong when they join the rest of the corps for camp next month. To be frank, I am tired of the Scouts fielding guards that seem to be at least a step behind the other two sections.

Were the Scouts not the home team the past few years? I am confused by your comments. The Scouts have mixed rock opera, latin jazz, Russian classical music, and many other styles over recent years. There are no huge departures here.

As far as the guard goes...yes, like in many of the past seasons, it will be the quality of the guard and the work they are given that will be key to their success this year. Even when the other two sections were firing on all cylinders in seasons past, the guard had its ups and downs and with the visual program, so goes the Scouts. If they are also hot visually, they move up. If they take a step back visually...not going to be a top scoring group. But, I'm not sure scoring high with the judges has ranked very high up on the Scouts priority list though. Too bad there's so few critiques...it was fun to see some of their international members attending them in the past.

. On Sat. night they had a visual rehearsal from 7-2 am. I heard from a guy I know in the snare line that it is really cool.

My guess is that its just a new staff trying to find its feet in the organization, trying to push the envelope a little. Maybe the staff is trying to show the corps they mean business. Although... I would think they would have better productivity if they went to bed at midnight and arose a little earlier to do the much needed March visual work. Because God knows, every Finals judge had the intention of going to Madison to scope out their progress two months before the season starts.

Elmo Blatch

In all honesty, they probably had a blast. Do you blame them? We all can't wait for the season to come.

Why not work super hard at weekend camps? The members get to go home and 'relax' for a month in between these rehearsals.

It'd be something to talk about if that was their schedule for the 2 weeks of everydays...come on, it was one night, at one offseason camp.

Besides, these are the men of madison right? Can't they handle a little hard work? :P

To respond to two things:

The "home team bias" was an alumni saying that he has bias because he was seeing a corps HE was part of. I don't find anything in Paul's post that implies anything about the corps the past few years, but as his signature points out, he is an alumni, hence "home team" when being at a Madison rehearsal.

As far the "new staff trying to find its feet" comment...they had a facility they were able to use that worked well and that was the time they used it, I wouldn't read into it more than that.