Rock songs never done before

The band I teach did a Bill Chase show this past season.

Open Up Wide

Handbags and Gladrags

Get it On

That's some awesome music and I could totally see old school Madison pull it off brilliantly.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Someone above mentioned Priest. I think they have alot of great stuff.

Even their late 70s/early 80s songs have alot of potential. The

right composer could do alot with Heads Are Gonna Roll or Electric Eye.

And Rob Halford's vocals would translate nicely into some tasty lead Sop licks. :)

Edited by madalumni

A couple of corps have done Frank Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia" as a drum solo.

27th's 1978 drum solo was a Kansas song; Art Fabrizio came up with it.

A few corps did Chase songs in the 70's.

"Since We Ended As Lovers" would make a cool ballad.

SOMEBODY must have done a Santana show along the way...

I've always wanted to hear Phantom play Alanis Morrisette's "Uninvited". Totally out of character for them, but their low brass would shake the earth.

I've always wanted to hear Phantom play Alanis Morrisette's "Uninvited". Totally out of character for them, but their low brass would shake the earth.

You'll hear that from Madison this year. Sure it's for the warm up, but I can't

wait to see and hear it!

Although "Dancin' fool" might work for VK or maybe Impulse.

(Note: The style of the song - I'm not calling anyone in either organization a fool.)

VK used "Dancin' Fool" for their winter guard around '82 or so. That and the demo song from the JVC tape that came with their cassette decks!

Garry in Vegas

You'll hear that from Madison this year. Sure it's for the warm up, but I can't

wait to see and hear it!

Sweet!

I was asked this year to help program my daughter's high school band show. After paying attention to what kids these days like, I built a show with them in mind. I presented it to our band staff and it was overwhelmingly approved. But...the director, who did like the idea, changed his mind a week later. Bummer...

Here's the show I had programmed: Welcome to the Black Parade, Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Green Day), Somebody Told Me (the Killers), My Immortal (Evanescence).

Here's what's being put together now by the director: Proud Mary, Stop in the Name of Love (the Supremes), Man I Feel Like A Woman (Shania Twain), and My Immortal (Evanescence).

The kids are all bummed too...although they didn't know of my programming ideas, they're not too excited about performing Shania Twain stuff nor music that predates even thier parents.

And since I mentioned it (and to keep this on topic!), I would love to hear My Immortal done by a drum corps. SCV perhaps?

Won't Get To Heaven (The State I'm In) by Spiritualized

It’d be great, starts with a lone piano riff, adds many layers of textures until you hit full brass with a gospel choir, then hits a break w/ some cool funk/trance beat behind a wailing solo, comes back a bit and then goes into the ending. I think it’s about a 13 minute song but the pacing and range makes it fly by in no time.

If you must break it up and add another song – I’d throw in, also by Spiritualized – Broken Heart, it’d be one of the most beautiful ballads ever and its already arranged as its mostly brass and vocal over a phase tone.

For those that don’t know – Spiritualized is the result of a spaceman 3 break up, I’ve followed them for about 15 years and they have yet to bore me, even though many people find their brand of quasi minimalist, space/junkie noise rock inherently boring. Each record sounds vastly different from their others records yet, they all still sound like Spiritualized.

Spirit – might seem the obvious choice but I’d peg this as being more of a Cadets or SCV style show.