Blue Devils 1993 hornline PBS recording?

On the pbs broadcast for the 93 finals there was a segment featuring the Blue Devils hornline with Wayne Downey introducing the different sections of the line. Does anybody know if DCI recorded the entire show of the brassline in the park or was it just the small section of the opener the Great Divide?

Did the Blue Devils record a brassline ensemble of the entire show for any cd recordings in 93?

Thanks.

I think that was just for PBS, and only those small clips to highlight individual sections, and how they all come together to paint a picture with multiple colors. I still have the VHS of that. Don't know about the CD recording, though I've never seen it in their store or in the DCI store, except for the actual finals recording.

This topic makes me hungry for some Strawberry Soup...

makes me hungry for narration.

^0^

~>conner

We recorded a few times that year for various reasons and at various times.

If you want a bit different (and a bit looser) version, try to find the Pavillion recordings from that year.

As I recall, we did do a lot more for the broadcast, at least a full run... but nothing was ever made publically available besides what was on the broadcast.

We did do a couple of standstill recordings for a CD that was sold during the season. Those are surely floating around somewhere.

With most of those, the opener is a bit slower and a lot more groovy than finals.

We recorded a few times that year for various reasons and at various times.

If you want a bit different (and a bit looser) version, try to find the Pavillion recordings from that year.

As I recall, we did do a lot more for the broadcast, at least a full run... but nothing was ever made publically available besides what was on the broadcast.

We did do a couple of standstill recordings for a CD that was sold during the season. Those are surely floating around somewhere.

With most of those, the opener is a bit slower and a lot more groovy than finals.

Many thanks Daniel. I've been over to the Blue Devils forum and asked David Gibbs if they can put previous Pavilion recordings onto the Mediabox. Fingers crossed :)

That broadcast came when I was just a 16 year old drummer. For me, it TOTALLY opened my ears up to brass arranging and music writing in general. They way Downey described melody, county melody, bass, harmony, etc. and showed the music/score with the brass players playing awakened me a bit to non-drumming music. Before I saw that broadcast, all I cared about for the most part was sweet drumming. After I saw that PBS broadcast I started to not only actually notice and pay attention to the brass line, but I understood what was going on melodically and harmonically, and for awhile in 94 (the summer before I entered music school) I would take time trying to find the different lines the horns were playing, and who was playing it (for ex: melody in sop 1, harmony in sop 2 & 3, counter melody in mellos, another counter melody in lead baris, etc).

The first couple of shows I saw in 94 I barely noticed the drumlines (except for Cadets: yikes that was a great drumline, especially the tenors). I think that feature in 93 during the broadcast was the most educational thing I ever saw on any DCI broadcast, and I'd love to see something similar in future broadcasts.