1994 Crossmen

Shorty was there 92 and 93.

94 had Barry Hudson, Jason Buckingham, Alan Emerson Ray Linkous, Scott Sluter. Don Van Doren came in every once in awhile. Matt Krempasky arranged they show during the winter, left when there was a change in the admin, then Michael Klesch came in and made some changes, including a complete rewrite of the ballad.

They started late that year. From what I recall, they switched directors during the winter from Carl Ruocco to Ester Messano, which bogged things down a bit. There may have been some personnel defections after that, but again, I wasn't around that year so I don't know any specifics. All I know is that it took them a while to get up to speed and they did have a late start.

We brought the corps out late to save money and our bus fleet was not safe. We leased buses and drivers that year and it was expensive but the drivers were pros and the buses were brand new. It was nice not to have break downs and all the cost associated with that mess.

And our staffers that year were great. They knew money was a big issue and they all volunteered to a salary cut. Things like that and a few people donating a lot of money kept the corps from folding. Crossmen spirit at its best.

Salary cut? HAHAHAA...about 75 bucks, for the summer...HAHAHA and I paid for all my flight to camp thinking I was going to be reimbursed...

That with out doubt was one of the weirdest, longest summers...

The staff cooked and taught...oof...

We all just wanted to keep the corps alive, which was a serious issue back then.

I have often joked with fellow staff folks and Bones alumni over the years about the "Crossmen Modifier": One season at the Bones is worth 5 everywhere else.

J. Buckingham

You guys did a bit of the driving as well, right Jason?

What was the average age of that hornline, 17 maybe?

Way too many things were going against this corps for it to be such a success at the end of the season.

The vets knew and appreciated what you and the others were doing for the corps.

We played that ballad/lullby at the University of North Alabama in 1997. Beautiful piece, but tough to tune.

Hey George!!!!

We probably drove too...all I remember is riding the guard bus with Bubba as my seat partner...

Odds stacked against us? WOW....how many days in a row did an ambulance come to rehearsal in Newark?

I gotta say of all the groups I have been with, the 94 Bones overcame more...20X more...25 horns at Memorial Day and end up 7th? WOW!

You're right Jason. What a brutal start.

I remember getting to late winter camps and I was one of 5 baritones there, think what the f#$# am I doing here!

There was a show somewhere early season and we just finished the ballad and I heard Barry yell "YOU CAN START PLAYING NOW"! That and I remember the staff talking to us about the possibility of not making finals at Preview of Champions. We actually did pretty well if I remember that weekend, and I think that was a turning point for us.

Just something about this corps...

Edited by jorge9295

Hey George!!!!

We probably drove too...all I remember is riding the guard bus with Bubba as my seat partner...

Odds stacked against us? WOW....how many days in a row did an ambulance come to rehearsal in Newark?

I gotta say of all the groups I have been with, the 94 Bones overcame more...20X more...25 horns at Memorial Day and end up 7th? WOW!

25 horns??? Really???? How many did you end up with?