How many "OLD SCHOOLERS" have kids marching ?

OK, since my daughter won't be marching for quite a while, how many of you "Old Schoolers" had kids march drum corps in the past 28 years.

If you had a child in the mid to late 80's B) they should have aged out or are about to age out.

What stories do you have to tell ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOLOLOL......an interesting topic.

I am 2nd generation drum corps. My father marched in the 30's into the early '40's. I saw my first show in 1949 at Muicipal Stadium in Philly......Nationals.

In 1962 both my father and I joined Archie and I had the pleasure of playing with, teaching and majoring with him until he passed on in 1989.

I have 3 daughters. The eldest played flute in the HS band, but played & taught the cymbal line....5 or 6 girls. She wrote the show. I couldn't convince her to come aboard at Archie when I became director in '87, but my 2 youngest, both terrific trumpet players (both solists), were members of the guard. Both did silks & rifle exceptionally well, but didn't want to play a horn.

My grandson (from daughter #1) is 5. He is a drum corps nut. He plays a respectable G above the staff, but told us he want's to play plates in Buc's to make us proud of him. He also wants to play doo-toot with Poppie.

I've been fortunate, as a music teacher, to have many of my former students in high school and privately, to go on to march and teach in corps, such as, Buc's, Empire, Cab's, Surf, Cadets, SCV, Cavies and others.

Three years ago at DCA finals I was melancholy at retreat when I counted 11 of my former students on the field as either players or staff......one of the highlights of my life.

Jimbalaya

Me and my boyfriend keep TRYING to have children, but I think we're doing something wrong. :P

If you agree to support my two teenage sons (one is a freshman in college, and the other is entering), you can have them. Plus, they are potty trained and feed themselves.

Back on track for the topic, both wifey and I marched DCI era. We moved to Maine for job relocation, and regretfully, not only is their high school music program WEAK, (music director will not allow a marching band, nor a pep band), but there is no drum corps within 100 miles. Yes, the Boston Crusaders are 100 miles away, and the Nahsua, NH Spartans are there, but corps at that level need members with experience.

As for trying, any guy will tell you, practice practice practice. ^0^

Edited by LancerLegend

My daughter marched in the high school guard for two years. She was a natural but boys became a conflict of interest. :whistle:

My son will be taking band this coming fall playing trumpet. His dad played 1st sop in Crossmen.

Me and my boyfriend keep TRYING to have children, but I think we're doing something wrong. :P

Nah....I'm sure you guys are doing everything right. Just some well needed parts are missing! B)

Yes, my 3 sons have marched the last 5 years with BD C.

My 17 year-old marched with me in RCR last year. I was very rewarding to see him progress over the course of the season. :whistle:

Now I just gotta get him back on the field this year.

For the most of it, my kids don't like drum corps because I love it. It's an anti-dad thing. The sad thing is I have a 17 year old daughter who, if she focused on her studies and practiced, could be a better baritone player and overall performer than I ever was.

However, there is hope for at least one of them. Although she cracks wise about the activity, I think my 15 year old daughter is interested, but she wants to fit in with her older sister. I was watching some recent year clips from the Cavies and Regiment and she was looking over my shoulder, impressed with what she saw. She even asked if her band had the ability to do some of the moves. I said yes and saw the look in her eyes. Although she acts otherwise, IMO, she's interested.

My older daughter switched to pit from clarinet when she got to HS. Even though I was on the BoD for Impulse, she decided it wasn't for her. She did do one guest appearance with SoCal Dream in the A-Squad for the corps first performance.

Our little one, though, has already done two parades with Renegades. Three, technically, if you count in-utero. Her first performance being seen was when she was 4 months old. Her first full corps show as a spectator was at 7 months, and she definitely lets you know who she likes and who she doesn't. (She likes Regiment and SCV.)

Garry in Vegas