Web hosting

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not going to pay you 80K per year to write code when they can out-source it to someone in Russia or China for a bottle of vodka or a bowl of rice.

That is a bit of an outdated view. Developers overseas are becoming more vertically specialized and are competing on unique skills and the difference in cost of the benefits and overhead of hiring a US employee, not base salary.

Most developers we have there make more than $80k. The difference is that to pay someone $80k in the US, it would cost the company around $120-140, depending on taxes, overhead, benefits, etc.

It is extremely expensive to live in many parts of Russia, Moscow, for example, is far more expensive than anyplace in America... more expensive than Toyko.

Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2006 – city rankings

Moscow has replaced Tokyo as the world's most expensive city, according to the latest Cost of Living Survey from Mercer Human Resource Consulting, the global leader for HR and related financial advice. Seoul is in second place, climbing three places since last year. Tokyo moves down two positions in the rankings to take third place, followed by Hong Kong.

St. Petersburg is about as expensive as NYC. Shanghai, China is more expensive than Paris, while Shenzhen, China is about as expensive as Rome.

All of them are more expensive than Los Angeles, which is also even less expensive than Kiev, Ukraine.

Back to the actual topic...

Microsoft has a new program called Office Live, where they will host your domain and email for free, and will even pay for the registration.

You get 500MB of storage, 25 email accounts, and web-based analytics.

To create and upload your site, you have to use Microsoft Frontpage (which is actually now called Sharepoint Designer ), Microsoft Expression, or VisualStudio Express (which is actually Free).

Edited by danielray

False. If you really know your stuff, there are companies that will pay you $60-80K for ENTRY LEVEL positions. I'm willing to get in a fight about this.

(sorry, had to defend my trade of choice)

In the corporate world, it's the network administator who determines whether or not your computer lives or dies. They can terminate your access to the server in a heartbeat. That's why they're often among the first ones to know when someone's getting fired.

Microsoft has a new program called Office Live, where they will host your domain and email for free, and will even pay for the registration.

You get 500MB of storage, 25 email accounts, and web-based analytics.

To create and upload your site, you have to use Microsoft Frontpage (which is actually now called Sharepoint Designer ), Microsoft Expression, or VisualStudio Express (which is actually Free).

My only complaint is that Office Live only works with Internet Explorer. Not surprising, since it is a Microsoft offering, but I'd like Firefox to at least be considered as well.

False. If you really know your stuff, there are companies that will pay you $60-80K for ENTRY LEVEL positions. I'm willing to get in a fight about this.

(sorry, had to defend my trade of choice)

I'll second this as well. While there is some truth to the fact that webmasters/developers/"whatever title you want to give them" are a dime or dozen, there are plenty of opportunities to make good money in this industry. While it may be cheaper to subcontract work out to foreign countries, the theory that you get what you pay for rings true. I've heard horror stories from people who've had sites designed by "local" companies, only to find out that local company subcontracted the project out to the lowest bidder... who just happened to be thousands of miles away. In one case, after dozens of revisions, one client still had a problem with the word "store" being spelled strore all over their website! On the flip side, I know of a couple people that I've worked with in the past, or even marched with, that make a comfortable living doing web design work. In fact, I've been doing some website design work on the side in recent months, and am fully convinced that if I actually dedicated myself 100% to the task, that I could potentially make that much in one year. But for now, I choose to do the Pioneer site and my other sites on the side as more of a hobby, than an actual career.

My only complaint is that Office Live only works with Internet Explorer. Not surprising, since it is a Microsoft offering, but I'd like Firefox to at least be considered as well.

Don't drink the Microsoft Koolaid! Frontpage and all its derivatives will actually prevent your growth as a developer. There are plenty of places one can get inexpensive hosting WITHOUT limiting oneself to just one small part of internet technology.

I'm not sure who is a good host these days, but the site I'm currently working on is hosted on powweb.com. As far as the actual domain purchase goes, I've never had any problems with GoDaddy.com.

Google has a similar service to Microsoft's offering, called Google Apps for Domains. Look it up if that's something that interests you.

And as far as actual website creation goes, there's not a class in the world that is going to teach you all you need to know to create a decent website. It's more than just XHTML these days.

I'm looking for around 20 GBs (at most) and some decent tech support. I also want to be able to transfer my html files rather easily to their server.

Network Solutions makes you jump through hoops and even then they want you to use their software to design your site. Their response to my questions are, "Some designers do use Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but our software offers the most versatility and range for building your own site, plus its only $1.99 more a month. How could you pass up a deal like that?"

So, I just want a relatively small space where I can upgrade to an SSL Certificate if need be, and have decent customer service. Does that narrow it down?

I'm looking for around 20 GBs (at most) and some decent tech support. I also want to be able to transfer my html files rather easily to their server.

Network Solutions makes you jump through hoops and even then they want you to use their software to design your site. Their response to my questions are, "Some designers do use Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but our software offers the most versatility and range for building your own site, plus its only $1.99 more a month. How could you pass up a deal like that?"

So, I just want a relatively small space where I can upgrade to an SSL Certificate if need be, and have decent customer service. Does that narrow it down?

I'll suggest that you contact the company that I've entrusted the DCP servers to - Argon Hosting. Shannon is a great guy, provides incredible support, and has rock-solid scalable hosting solutions from the small site .... to dedicated multi-server clusters, like what we use. In addition to my servers, he also provides the services for a number of the more-advanced (technology, content, services offered, etc) drum corps sites on the net. He can provide as much or as little as you want in the way of services, content/site builders, bandwidth, storage, domain registration, and various support options. Finally, he's a drum corps veteran .... so understands our challenges.

As an IT professional, I'm pretty picky about who I entrust with my network and system .... and Shannon has earned my respect and my business.

You'll find more information at www.argonhosting.com.

Good luck,

-john

• 2 weeks later...

How about open source CMS? Anyone familiar with this term and what hosting companies allow for this?