DCI East will stay in Allentown in 2008

Claps in Allentown? maybe for the Cadets

Huh? I've been to every Allentown Show since 1978 either as a performer or fan and I've got to tell you that the Fans in Allentown LOVE Drum Corps!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the upper deck was SOO uncomfortable at J. Birney. Not worth the money for the tickets at all.

Yes, the upper deck seats are made of wood that can leave painful reminders of your Allentown experience, but I always brought seat cushions so I could enjoy the 50 yard line view.

It may be of interest to those of you familiar with the saga of J Birney Crum Stadium and the future of DCI East in Allentown to know that the DCI East Committee has been informed that DCI will return to Allentown in 2008. The show will go back to the first weekend in August, just prior to the championships in Indy. It will also go back to being held on Friday and Saturday night.

will it go back to a daytime prelims, a nighttime finals, and a full retreat? (I know the answer)

the heyday for this show is over, it used to be picnics in the park, warmups to watch all over all day, families, friends, comrades ...

not having full retreat, reacting en masse to the scores being announced in order, watching corps play themselves off, etc.

losing all that disconnects new members from grass roots drum corps history, marching the same trail as prior heroes,

creating a new chapter in the history book of a major event, having stories to tell, feeling part of the whole scheme of things

not just doing a show and leaving, thats just cold, the relationship between audience and the corps is lost at East

its like showing up at your parents house, doing a little dance at the front door and leaving

no hello, no dinner, no laughter, no hugs, no love, no farewells

what show other than finals has full retreat anymore? I understand the cost, I also understand the loss.

in the words of Tevye in Fiddler "TRADITION"!!!

the heyday for this show is over, it used to be picnics in the park,

they're still there...still tons of fun

warmups to watch all over all day,

maybe not all day anymore, but they're still there too...great fun to watch. You can even head down the street a bit and catch a full corps ensemble rehearsal at one of the middle/elementary schools...

families, friends, comrades ...

still there in spades! there are people who i know i can count on to see at allentown every single year...it's still very much a reunion spot for many on the east coast...

marching the same trail as prior heroes,

creating a new chapter in the history book of a major event, having stories to tell, feeling part of the whole scheme of things

Yup, they still do that too. You'd be surprised at how many current performers still get a kick out of this show and the history that surrounds it.

No, it may not be exactly the same as we remember it, but life goes on and tons of people are still enjoying the ride. If you don't wanna come with us, well, maybe we'll see you at another show down the road. I'm looking forward to seeing all my drum corps friends at the picnic in the park at Allentown this year! Just like I do every year... (And checking out the return of the Crossmen to the Lehigh Valley after their cross-country move...should be lots of fun!) :)

the upper deck was SOO uncomfortable at J. Birney. Not worth the money for the tickets at all.

Not only that but the first three rows have an obstructed view. You have to watch the show through the protective railing and fence.

the heyday for this show is over, it used to be picnics in the park, warmups to watch all over all day, families, friends, comrades ...

Still there...we took a busload from the band and had a lot of fun watching the Troopers and Regiment rehearse in 05.

f22dbbdb.jpg

Allentown was an awesome venue. I also enjoyed the fireflies and the hot dog stand that was accross the stadium. :P

Edited by sopchick_01

The trek of pain up that hill was a great warmup. I always got super psyched heading up that hill toward that full stadium at night. It's different now that there are lights by the river walks ... you lose a bit of that "OUT OF THE DARKNESS and IN TO THE LIGHT" kinda feeling. My first two years in corps, we didn't go to Allentown. But I heard all the hype about the show. The rumors of who did what and who was the darkhorse would come crashing across the country like a titlewave (before email and dci.org). When I was finally there in 88 it was goosebump city. Nothing about that show was a disappointment. Great crowd, unique venue and the neighborhood could be a lot worse. No complaints on my end.

Nothing like throwing down a great show and taking that trek back down the hill super slow and under control ... knowing you pwned.

Volunteering at DCI East for the past twenty years in the souvie area has been quite an experience. Trying to cram all those corps into a limited area is always a challenge, but somehow it gets done. The souvie people for the corps are just great and it's incredible to see some of the same faces all these years. Can't imagine East being held anywhere else. In fact, many on the committee had no interest in going to Philly while The Crum was being renovated. Just wouldn't be the same.

Great news that we'll be back in Allentown for 2008!

they're still there...still tons of fun

maybe not all day anymore, but they're still there too...great fun to watch. You can even head down the street a bit and catch a full corps ensemble rehearsal at one of the middle/elementary schools...

still there in spades! there are people who i know i can count on to see at allentown every single year...it's still very much a reunion spot for many on the east coast...

Yup, they still do that too. You'd be surprised at how many current performers still get a kick out of this show and the history that surrounds it.

No, it may not be exactly the same as we remember it, but life goes on and tons of people are still enjoying the ride. If you don't wanna come with us, well, maybe we'll see you at another show down the road. I'm looking forward to seeing all my drum corps friends at the picnic in the park at Allentown this year! Just like I do every year... (And checking out the return of the Crossmen to the Lehigh Valley after their cross-country move...should be lots of fun!) :)

Do corps still sleep in the park? That's an experience I will never forget. :sshh: B)