Making the case for brass in WGI

Brass  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should WGI allow brass instruments?

• Yes.

I've seen winterguards use instrumentalist in their shows--I can not remember the name of the guard, but I saw one recently that had a bassoon soloist as part of the show--and years ago, a guard used vibes in their show. I do not think there are any restrictions at this point, so technically I think groups could get away with using brass or whatever--it just wouldnt be "judged".

As for winter perc. groups not having a melody--that is what the keyboard instruments are used for (or should be used for).

It was Croatan in IO in 2006 that had the bassoon. They also won that class.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't ever think I've been more sick of seeing cats in my life.

well, there's a change, an owl.

I know what you mean. My dog goes crazy when he sees that stuff. :P

I envision a separate brass/wind division under the model of WGI where groups can field programs in the same way that guard and percussion do. I think this would be more practical than trying to develop an indoor band circuit that incorporates all three mediums. One or two percussionists could be utilized, but the visual/musical product would be brass (or wind) focused. Yes… brass players have concert band, but I can remember feeling left out as a trumpet player in the winter season watching color guards and percussionist field programs while I was stuck in a chair. I think there is great opportunity for entertainment and education here. A brass division certainly would take a lot of work/money to develop, but I DO think that there would be interest. Here are a couple of videos that illustrate what I have in mind. I think a competitive circuit could greatly increase the quality of the product.

The resources are available in Denver right now to develop and launch a trial circuit of this sort of thing. I think that initially it would start as a forum for exhibition performances, where musicians could simply perform for each other and develop their skills. Later on, judging could be added if desired, or not. Do you think there would be interest in this sort of thing? How would one go about spurring community interest in developing new ensembles? Is it even reasonable to ask schools to consider this with the new challanges it would place upon them (financial, rehearsal space, distraction from concert band)?

I envision a separate brass/wind division under the model of WGI where groups can field programs in the same way that guard and percussion do. I think this would be more practical than trying to develop an indoor band circuit that incorporates all three mediums. One or two percussionists could be utilized, but the visual/musical product would be brass (or wind) focused. Yes… brass players have concert band, but I can remember feeling left out as a trumpet player in the winter season watching color guards and percussionist field programs while I was stuck in a chair. I think there is great opportunity for entertainment and education here. A brass division certainly would take a lot of work/money to develop, but I DO think that there would be interest. Here are a couple of videos that illustrate what I have in mind. I think a competitive circuit could greatly increase the quality of the product.

The resources are available in Denver right now to develop and launch a trial circuit of this sort of thing. I think that initially it would start as a forum for exhibition performances, where musicians could simply perform for each other and develop their skills. Later on, judging could be added if desired, or not. Do you think there would be interest in this sort of thing? How would one go about spurring community interest in developing new ensembles? Is it even reasonable to ask schools to consider this with the new challanges it would place upon them (financial, rehearsal space, distraction from concert band)?

Yes, there is already interest. There are a couple of other groups besides BK already going (at least one I know of is in MI), and we are trying to start one next fall in Wichita. So, it is just a matter of hitting "critical mass" before this gets moving.

as cool as I think it would be for WGI to have a brass competitive circuts added, I'd have to agree with everyone who said that it'd probably hurt corps in the long run. Winter camps are small to begin with because of WGI as it is now.

Plus, now if a brass player wants to be in WGI, they have to learn a new instrument/how to spin. In my mind, it kind of brings more unity to the sections of a corps.

I don't know why everybody feels the need to "evolve" so much in this activity.

I mean why not let WGI be WGI and let drum corps be...well..whatever it's "evolving" into.

Brass in WGI would just defeat the whole purpose of what it was intended to be..WINTER GUARD INTERNATIONAL.

:huh:

I don't know why everybody feels the need to "evolve" so much in this activity.

I mean why not let WGI be WGI and let drum corps be...well..whatever it's "evolving" into.

Brass in WGI would just defeat the whole purpose of what it was intended to be..WINTER GUARD INTERNATIONAL.

:huh:

I agree.

~>conner

Has WGI hurt the percussion and guard sections in drum corps? I would have to answer no. Many of our corps most talented members come out of winter programs. Though they may miss the occasional camp they are ultimatly much stronger performers and faster learners. I believe the same could be true of brass players.

I can tell you that the BK winter brass program has been a definite positive for their corps. The winter ensemble does not rehearse/perform on corps weekends and encourages it's members to participate in both groups. Many do. It has been a mechanism in which to recruit and train new members locally as well as develop new leadership.

I don't ever think I've been more sick of seeing cats in my life.

well, there's a change, an owl.

this thread is officially the first time ive thought that as well.