Making the case for brass in WGI

Brass  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should WGI allow brass instruments?

• Yes.

Yes, this thread has served its purpose. It's pointed out that in another discussion, the absurdity of adding to the point of reclassification (i.e. adding woodwinds) looks exceptionally absurd when applied equally to another related activity. I'd like to thank the people that understood... like 3 of you.

IMO the above is not true. There would be nothing wrong for WGI to add whatever they so choose to the indoor activity.

There used to be, btw, many indoor drum corps shows in my area...going waaaay back to the 60's and 70's. I used to judge them from the mid-70's to 80'ish. They would have an I&E type of thing all morning and then a full corps show in the gym later in the afternoon, followed by a guard show at night.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this thread has served its purpose. It's pointed out that in another discussion, the absurdity of adding to the point of reclassification (i.e. adding woodwinds) looks exceptionally absurd when applied equally to another related activity. I'd like to thank the people that understood... like 3 of you.

BTW....there was a time when indoor guards did not use prerecorded music at all...they used live drumming.

Quite honestly, WGI is already ahead of its time in so many ways, and DCI looks to them for a lot of new ideas, so I'd just leave WGI alone - they're going to change on their own on their own terms.

Live instruments are not against the rules in WGI competition. They have been used by many units in recent years.

I'm cool with it, but where do we start? As a band director, I can't imagine successfully running a drumline, guard, and brass group when we can barely get gym time with just the two ensembles. I'm sure an independent group would have the same issue.