Making the case for brass in WGI

Brass  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should WGI allow brass instruments?

• Yes.

We've come to a point where winter drumlines have progressed to the point where drums, electronics, guitars, and synths just aren't doing it anymore. It's too restrictive. The activity is moving this way anyhow, with groups like the Blue Knights doing indoor brass anyhow. It's time to expand the instrumentation so that writers can have more choices. Let WGI have brass. That way, they can carry a melody.

:ramd:

Nothing for nothing.....could someone from the DCP Moderators clan move or remove this topic ? WGI is not Div. 1 DCI corps.

No offense to anyone.....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let WGI be WGI and DCI be DCI?

Who ever said anything about making WGI be DCI.....Make them two seperate identities. Personally I don't think an indoor band circuit would work, however with three seperate ensembles each ensemblecan work on specifics. Then come summer or fall you can put all of their experiences together. Brass would work indoors but it is not ready for WGI nor will it be at WGI competitively anytime soon.

Nothing for nothing.....could someone from the DCP Moderators clan move or remove this topic ? WGI is not Div. 1 DCI corps.

No offense to anyone.....

Haven't read everything between the original post and here, but the original post was 100% about Div I DCI.

I'm guessing the thread has served its purpose though.

I voted YES!!!!

(i wasn't given much choice, though)

I'm also waiting breathlessly my NEW DCI...30 color guard, and 105 people marching either drum machines or Moog's, and each of the 105 with a cute little battery pack.

I envision a separate brass/wind division under the model of WGI where groups can field programs in the same way that guard and percussion do. I think this would be more practical than trying to develop an indoor band circuit that incorporates all three mediums. One or two percussionists could be utilized, but the visual/musical product would be brass (or wind) focused. Yes… brass players have concert band, but I can remember feeling left out as a trumpet player in the winter season watching color guards and percussionist field programs while I was stuck in a chair. I think there is great opportunity for entertainment and education here. A brass division certainly would take a lot of work/money to develop, but I DO think that there would be interest. Here are a couple of videos that illustrate what I have in mind. I think a competitive circuit could greatly increase the quality of the product.

The resources are available in Denver right now to develop and launch a trial circuit of this sort of thing. I think that initially it would start as a forum for exhibition performances, where musicians could simply perform for each other and develop their skills. Later on, judging could be added if desired, or not. Do you think there would be interest in this sort of thing? How would one go about spurring community interest in developing new ensembles? Is it even reasonable to ask schools to consider this with the new challanges it would place upon them (financial, rehearsal space, distraction from concert band)?

I think it is a great idea. Two things to think about:

It would keep the marching members fresh for DCI season, and vice versa... Like the percussion and guard. DCI -> MB -> WGI -> DCI -> etc....

There would be potential problems with attending camps for drum corps...

Overall though I think this could be a popular thing! I always felt it was the next step after adding percussion to WGI.

I don't know why everybody feels the need to "evolve" so much in this activity.

I mean why not let WGI be WGI and let drum corps be...well..whatever it's "evolving" into.

Brass in WGI would just defeat the whole purpose of what it was intended to be..WINTER GUARD INTERNATIONAL.

:huh:

They've already ditched that idea when they added percussion to the mix. I thought the same things myself when they did it, but if I want a winter fix of live pagentry, I go see a WGI show. I think it's only help percussion line over the last several years.

Haven't read everything between the original post and here, but the original post was 100% about Div I DCI.

I'm guessing the thread has served its purpose though.

The following was the opening post.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've come to a point where winter drumlines have progressed to the point where drums, electronics, guitars, and synths just aren't doing it anymore. It's too restrictive. The activity is moving this way anyhow, with groups like the Blue Knights doing indoor brass anyhow. It's time to expand the instrumentation so that writers can have more choices. Let WGI have brass. That way, they can carry a melody.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this thread has served its purpose. It's pointed out that in another discussion, the absurdity of adding to the point of reclassification (i.e. adding woodwinds) looks exceptionally absurd when applied equally to another related activity. I'd like to thank the people that understood... like 3 of you.

To supersop, do me a favor and point me out an example, Mr. High Horse. In the mean time, get over yourself -- last I checked, there were no self-appointed Thread Police... and as such you're no more qualified that anyone else here. Grow up.

And Mistofflies... was I "PWNED"? Or is it you that has posted cats with a caption... Yes, I was certainly pwned by cats. Nice going. No one can argue that point. Cats. Nice.

You two need to get outside - your vitamin D deficiency from a lack of sunlight is affecting you negatively.

Yes, this thread has served its purpose. It's pointed out that in another discussion, the absurdity of adding to the point of reclassification (i.e. adding woodwinds) looks exceptionally absurd when applied equally to another related activity. I'd like to thank the people that understood... like 3 of you.

To supersop, do me a favor and point me out an example, Mr. High Horse. In the mean time, get over yourself -- last I checked, there were no self-appointed Thread Police... and as such you're no more qualified that anyone else here. Grow up.

And Mistofflies... was I "PWNED"? Or is it you that has posted cats with a caption... Yes, I was certainly pwned by cats. Nice going. No one can argue that point. Cats. Nice.

You two need to get outside - your vitamin D deficiency from a lack of sunlight is affecting you negatively.

ohnoesje0.jpg

QUICK!! HIDE!! IT'S THE HUMOR POLICE!!!

wait... didn't Bridgemen at one point have a winterguard with an accompanied brass ensemble.... or is that just one of thoughs "well DUH, it's the Bridgemen" moments?

my HS winter drumline had a small brass ensemble in there show in 1994.

But I guess if more groups started using brass, then it would just become what Japan circuits already are.