Making the case for brass in WGI

Brass  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should WGI allow brass instruments?

• Yes.

No brass please for WGI, they should start their own circuit.

I've read on multiple corps websites that a good brassline starts in the camps

, I don't think corps would like to deal with these stresses of members not making it to camps. UNLESS, the kids are in the winter program of their corps to prepare for the summer corps like some guards do ( depending on if the same caption head taught both groups that is). However, it takes some money to be in WGI and to run corps camps so I don't see a lot of corps doing it........

The cost to train judges and pay them, make a scoring system, rent places to hold regionals and to rent an arena for a full championships sounds pretty daunting and expensive for WGI, there would probably have to be a ton of interest from groups to actually even have them consider it, I bet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember the days when all winter guards were accompanied by percs. Then back in the 70's they started to get away from it and switched to tapes. Now that the percs are back, the brass is getting the short end of the stick. It is somewhat of a scheduling problem though, with WGI and DCI seasons overlapping by a month or two. But if a WG can assemble a small brass ensemble to put the frosting on their cake, what the heck - let'em have some fun with it.

Is everyone really missing drumcat's point here? He isn't really wanting brass in WGI (I would assume because of the sarcastic 1 option poll), just that if people want woodwinds and electronics in DCI, why not brass in WGI?

Some posters have stated: "leave the indoor stuff for guard and percussionists"

So why not leave the Drum Corps stuff for brass and percussion (and guard)?

Is everyone really missing drumcat's point here? He isn't really wanting brass in WGI (I would assume because of the sarcastic 1 option poll), just that if people want woodwinds and electronics in DCI, why not brass in WGI?

that's completely irrelevent.

~>conner

I hate when people say to put drumline outside on the turf field and the last time this topic was discussed people always wnat to find a way to fit it onto a football field. You don't need to use a football field, there are many more types of grids out there. WGI isn't going to just add brass as a division right away, I am sure they will test it with SCPA or RMPA since both have tested out WGI's possible future standards.

Not everyone who marches corps doesn't march indoor, and I doubt corps would have a major problem with the brass players. The season is march and april, so for one camp they'd risk the chance of smaller camp numbers.

ahhafa0.jpg

So you've figured it out, have you? :doh:

Yes, lets add brass to WGI, while your at it, why not add electronics to DCI! LOL