"Without Electronics"?

So, DeLucia made a statement before Cavies show on the DCI telecast...

"All sound effects were done WITHOUT electronics".

Does anyone get a message from this? I've always been "ok" with the idea of electronics but hearing this has now given me pause. Could it be that the very thing the non purists are wanting...wich is more room for "innovation" and "pushing the envelope" could actually be hindered by the addition of more instruments and effects on the field such as electronics? Think about it, the sound effects Cavies made in their "machine" show took more thought and creativity than what would be the result with electronics. Anyone can press a button on a synth or sampler. Only the most creative minds can create those sound effects with brass and percussion instruments. Is it possible that electronics would actually dupe our activity in mediocrity and HINDER our desire to be more innovative?

Thoughts please!

Edited by passionatedc

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone get a message from this? I've always been "ok" with the idea of electronics but hearing this has now given me pause. Could it be that the very thing the non purists are wanting...wich is more room for "innovation" and "pushing the envelope" could actually be hindered by the addition of more instruments and effects on the field such as electronics? Think about it, the sound effects Cavies made in their "machine" show took more thought and creativity than what would be the result with electronics. Anyone can press a button on a synth or sampler. Only the most creative minds can create those sound effects with brass and percussion instruments. Is it possible that electronics would actually dupe our activity in mediocrity and HINDER our desire to be more innovative?

Thoughts please!

I believe that is one thing that made the show so great. All of the machine sound effects were acoustic. And the way they did some of those things was quite cool, IMO. The typewriter, yeah, that's cool. B)

Anyone can press a button on a synth or sampler. Only the most creative minds can create those sound effects with brass and percussion instruments. Is it possible that electronics would actually dupe our activity in mediocrity and HINDER our desire to be more innovative?

AH-HA!!!!

Welcome, ye of great wisdom. Welcome to the side of righteouness...now go forth and make more converts before George decides to amplify the sound of one hand clapping.

Thoughts please!

That's what seperated genuis from the regular folks. They work within a set of guidelines and create magic. Pressing a button does not make genius. That's why drum corps has such a love for most because there were bounderies, but a few "revisionaries" want to remove it and make it a free-for-all.

Edited by sburstall

AH-HA!!!!

Welcome, ye of great wisdom. Welcome to the side of righteouness...now go forth and make more converts before George decides to amplify the sound of one hand clapping.

Right because none of these things are creative:

Temple bell mixed with breathy vocals.

Active sound morphing over a drum loop.

Trombone samples played on a Continuum keyboard.

Another Continuum keyboard example, this time with a Kalimba.

Continuum using violin samples.

Video of using Kyma with a stylus.

Video of a Continuum in use.

NO ONLY ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS ALLOW REAL CREATIVITY!!!!!!

NO ONLY ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS ALLOW REAL CREATIVITY!!!!!!

There have been very many "creative" things done in music over the past 5,000 years.

HOWEVER...Richard Rogers did not need to have amplified sampled beach noises for me to "hear" the ocean during "Victory at Sea" and blah, blah, blah.

IMHO, there is no need to change the rules of the game.

There have been very many "creative" things done in music over the past 5,000 years.

HOWEVER...Richard Rogers did not need to have amplified sampled beach noises for me to "hear" the ocean during "Victory at Sea" and blah, blah, blah.

IMHO, there is no need to change the rules of the game.

Ok so you're dodging the point.

It's not about amplifying beach noises so you can heard the ocean.

I'm talking about using sounds and synthesis techniques that are not possible to be created with acoustic instruments.

It's not about making what we already can do "easier" or "lazier" by using a sampled recording, it's about doing things that can only be done through a different medium.

Ok so you're dodging the point.

It's not about amplifying beach noises so you can heard the ocean.

I'm talking about using sounds and synthesis techniques that are not possible to be created with acoustic instruments.

It's not about making what we already can do "easier" or "lazier" by using a sampled recording, it's about doing things that can only be done through a different medium.

But why?