"Without Electronics"?

Ok so you're dodging the point.

It's not about amplifying beach noises so you can heard the ocean.

I'm talking about using sounds and synthesis techniques that are not possible to be created with acoustic instruments.

It's not about making what we already can do "easier" or "lazier" by using a sampled recording, it's about doing things that can only be done through a different medium.

I am not so convinced that some of those things cannot be reproduced accoustically...Heck, put Michael Winslow on the field with a cardboard megaphone...find a way if that "noise" is so gosh-darn important to the production.

When Picasso found another way to do things, he still used paint and canvas...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not so convinced that some of those things cannot be reproduced accoustically...Heck, put Michael Winslow on the field with a cardboard megaphone...find a way if that "noise" is so gosh-darn important to the production.

When Picasso found another way to do things, he still used paint and canvas...

A lot of that "noise" is just simple examples of some of the power that these real-time software editing suites and electronic instruments possess. There are limitless ways they can be combined to produce just about any effect that the human mind can imagine (and probably many that it cannot).

A lot of it is experimental at the moment and not ready for practical application, but it one day will be.

And just because it involves using electronics and voltage-controlled oscillators makes it less credible than any other way of making music? If you're so ####### determined to live in the stone age why don't you move to Pennsylvania? I hear they have some great communities up there where they have NO electricity and you do everything manually....

There's a difference between music and just plain noises. Often left to individual interpretation, I'll admit. But, in my opinion, noise is not music. And, it should not be included by dragging a bunch of computers and amps and keyboards onto a drum corps marching field.

I'm a keyboard player, by the way.....but I can separate my love for keyboards and my love for drum corps into two different places.

Hey while we're at it let's go back to symmetrical drill, marking time in place for god-knows-how-long, rotary valve bugles, unison flag work, and the tick system. I mean, why change? If it was good enough back then it's good enough now, right?

Asymmetrical drill still used people on a field to "draw" pictures...still paint and canvas

Marking time versus more movement did not change the numbers on the field or anything...just increased the demand on the individuals

Rotary valved, piston valved, g, Bb...all still brass instruments and percussion instruments...accoustic

Unison flag versus differentiated...still just flags...paint and canvas

Tick system versus objective criterion...still just looking at and listeneing to the performance and assigning a number based upon what is seen and heard.

Amplified and sampled sounds...not accoustic, not brass and percussion...no longer paint and canvas.