Father Ryan

Anyone can attempt humor; not everyone can pull it off.

VK and Bridgemen are the 2 corps most people think of, but in recent years the Cavaliers have also used a few well timed moments of humor (example, last year with the repeated trumpet thing- like a machine being stuck).

I'm using Father Ryan as an example (for many this will be an obscure reference), but after how well they did this past weekend, would/could a comedy show get the marks to be in the top 5 in DCI?

What elements separate humor that "works" from humor that is just corny or lame (beyond one is funny and one isn't)? For example (using Father Ryan)- what is it about them that makes it "work"?

DCI could use their own Father Ryan (I mean now, not in the past).

I don't know if I've ever laughed at any performance as much as I did last night...

and the crowd was totally into them as well.

It's almost worth buying the dvd just for that show alone.

Edited by wolfgang

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can attempt humor; not everyone can pull it off.

VK and Bridgemen are the 2 corps most people think of, but in recent years the Cavaliers have also used a few well timed moments of humor (example, last year with the repeated trumpet thing- like a machine being stuck).

I'm using Father Ryan as an example (for many this will be an obscure reference), but after how well they did this past weekend, would/could a comedy show get the marks to be in the top 5 in DCI?

What elements separate humor that "works" from humor that is just corny or lame (beyond one is funny and one isn't)? For example (using Father Ryan)- what is it about them that makes it "work"?

DCI could use their own Father Ryan (I mean now, not in the past).

I don't know if I've ever laughed at any performance as much as I did last night...

and the crowd was totally into them as well.

It's almost worth buying the dvd just for that show alone.

I was in Dayton as well and was one of the Many standing for Father Ryan. For the last several years now they have been doing shows that are supremely entertaining, but this year i think they really stepped up the technical elements in addition to the entertainment factor.

I think that would be the tough part in DCI and i think the reason the VK style died off. For many years, (in my opinion) VK, while extremely fun and over the top, They could also stand toe to toe with anyone out there musically and could at least hang with the field visually.

I think that in 96 when they were on the way out, they were pretty far down the ladder musically and visually making the "Schtick" alot less enjoyable.

so in short, i think DCI, DCA, and WGI and anyone else out there would love this kind of thing in the mix, but it cant be JUST about the "Schtick". Its gotta have the excellence along with it. Father ryan wasnt just entertainment, they could play and move too! They won effect but were in the top 4 of every other subcaption too.

I say bring that stuff on!

Tony

what did they do this year...cause i know i loved the football and the basketball shows from the past few years

I for one would love to see another VK/Bridgemen-type corps on the field.

Hey, they could even attempt to use vocals (poorly) to satire the whole ongoing amps/electronics/narration debate!

It might be the only corps that could successfully use all of those things in a show that just about everyone would love... :D

what did they do this year...cause i know i loved the football and the basketball shows from the past few years

I believe it was The Lost Society of Carnies, Gypsies, and Freaks (or something to that effect).

the crowd last night was on their feet yelling before the show was even over

edit..posted too early...

I think it'd be nice if there was some more humor related G.E. moments. If you can mix those with some rip your face off music, I'd see it in the top 5 (if not the top 3)

..as long as it was clean...

Edited by nothingbetter

The SCV cymbal gag was ridiculously hilarious.

As was the Rhythm X '06 joke, the fat guy dancing, and the return Of The King.

Easily the most entertaining WGI show I've ever seen.

Wolfgang:

I and the other WGI writer watched the show together in finals and we both were in hysterics. But it wasn't just stunningly funny, it was a remarkably performed show. I don't know how Father Ryan does it every year, but they somehow merge quality and humor. I'd love to see another VK or Bridgemen corps come along. Jersey Surf has showed potential.

The SCV cymbal gag was ridiculously hilarious.

As was the Rhythm X '06 joke, the fat guy dancing, and the return Of The King.

Easily the most entertaining WGI show I've ever seen.

SPYE always had a good amount of humor to the shows as well, especially the SPYE vs. SPYE show. But agree, that for it to be truly sucessful, there has to be a high level of skill attatched.

I think it'd be nice if there was some more humor related G.E. moments. If you can mix those with some rip your face off music, I'd see it in the top 5 (if not the top 3)

..as long as it was clean...

I completely agree.

Did anyone see Dartmouth's show? It's about choices, and in the middle, they rewind the whole thing to go back and try the other option, but their music and visual were unbelievable too, coming in second in both.

I'd like to see more things like nothingbetter said, snippits of humor combined with awesome performace quality.