Best Sounding Brass Line!

CroWnSoPrAnO

Best Sounding Brass Line  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel has the best sounding brass line?

• The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Coats
    • The Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Knights
    • Carolina Crown
    • Madison Scouts
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Glassmen
    • Spirit From JSU

For all time, IMHO, NO LINE PERIOD beats the pure, blended, ultimate wall of sound that Star had...and especially on those old G horns?!?! WOW!!! However, if we're talking recently, I'm gonna have to go with my own corps and Bluecoats.

Ultimate wall of Sound!!!! YEA!!! I marched lead Soprano for Star during the Porgy and Bess years and our horn line definitely had a great sound--top to bottom. I remember paying the price for that wall of sound...running across the field at over 180 beats a minute, blaring out high "E's" and "G's" in one breath....Sometimes I felt as if my face was going to explode!!!! In '88 I had to tip my hat to SCV with Phantom of the Opera....

Edited by stumpmtsr

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"golly Mr. Peabody what about the great Argonne Rebel lines of 71-73?". Let's not forget Suncoast Sound either. :tongue:

Old school. (heh.)

I'm just disappointed that MBI, Reading and Star United aren't on the list. I'd vote for SU - more sound per pound than ANY DCI line.

Old school. (heh.)

I'm just disappointed that MBI, Reading and Star United aren't on the list. I'd vote for SU - more sound per pound than ANY DCI line.

Gee thanks. Sure it was us or the beer? Maybe its the extra 50lbs or so behind each horn in comparison to a DCI line that helps. :thumbup:

I can promise you this based on our recent rehearsal; We might actually get loud. We figure it's time, and DCA for cryin' out loud. They like that.

Gee thanks. Sure it was us or the beer? Maybe its the extra 50lbs or so behind each horn in comparison to a DCI line that helps. :rolleyes:

I can promise you this based on our recent rehearsal; We might actually get loud. We figure it's time, and DCA for cryin' out loud. They like that.

'Twasn't the beer. :inlove:

And, please, if youz guyz turn up the volume - Just give a tip o' the hat to those who "invented LOUD".

(Truth be told, the guy who wrote for the LOUD corps would be drooling over your sound if he were alive today.)

2006:

DCI-Phantom

DCA-Bush

DCI - 80's BD

Phantom (anytime)

'95 Madison

LOVED THOSE MUCHACHOS!!!

DCA - Bushwackers (late 80's, early 90's in particular)

I gotta give props to '96 Cabs (they were TIGHT)

Always enjoyed the old Rhode Island Matadors (fun stuff)

Just some of my MANY favorites......Truth be told, different lines, different years for different reasons but those are a few that stand out to me.....

BD/Star

DITTO. I love 1993 BD's Hornline and 1990-1993 Star's hornline

From what I heard, and genre has everything to do with it, The Cadets would have produced the best drum corps sound in 2007.

Historically, the '82 Devils horn sound (and book) hasn't been surpassed yet.

Edited by bedford

i don't think the question " who has the best sounding brass line" can be answered without defining what it is you consider to be a good sound. if your looking for a really dark orchestral sound hands down is phantom regiment. if you like a little bit more edgy sound but still nice and dark for the most part i would go with SCV, blue devils, carolina crown. if you like more of a brighter intense sound maybe a corp like madison is what your looking for. i think it just depends on your sound concept.