Best Sounding Brass Line!

CroWnSoPrAnO

Best Sounding Brass Line  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel has the best sounding brass line?

• The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Coats
    • The Cadets
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Knights
    • Carolina Crown
    • Madison Scouts
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Glassmen
    • Spirit From JSU

Well, let's set the Wayback Machine to August 1971 and have a listen. :lol:

I would recommend one of three 1971 Argonne recordings:

- Fleetwood's 1971 recording of the VFW National Championship in Dallas. Argonne's 19.00 execution score was the highest championship brass (bugle) score of that era;

- Fleetwood's 5.0 recording featuring the two corps that achieved perfect scores in drum corps first "build up" caption, Content Analysis; or

- Stetson Richmond's rare 1971 recording of the American Legion National Championship in Houston. IMO this is/was Argonne's finest recording. It gives you a pretty good feel for what was going on in Central Kansas during the early 70s.

Jeff Yeager

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Fleetwood's 1971 recording of the VFW National Championship in Dallas. Argonne's 19.00 execution score was the highest championship brass (bugle) score of that era;

- Fleetwood's 5.0 recording featuring the two corps that achieved perfect scores in drum corps first "build up" caption, Content Analysis; or

- Stetson Richmond's rare 1971 recording of the American Legion National Championship in Houston. IMO this is/was Argonne's finest recording. It gives you a pretty good feel for what was going on in Central Kansas during the early 70s.

Jeff Yeager

I'd like to here that. Was that the Sandra Opie era?

Jeff Yeager

I just listened to the 1971 VFW recording.

A lot more watered down than I remembered it in person. However, tough book well executed and the blend is to die for.

I just listened to the 1971 VFW recording.

A lot more watered down than I remembered it in person. However, tough book well executed and the blend is to die for.

Keep in mind that things were evolving rapidly. Our 1973 show, for example, was a quantum leap in terms of difficulty from anything that we or anyone else had put on the field. The arrangements (with the exception of the color pres) were pulled directly from Kenton's charts by Frank Minear. It would be years before the accomplishments of that show were recognized by the activity.

BTW, as you are listening, don't forget that these are boys and many girls with an average age of 16+ years. They were playing Olds Ultratone (valve/rotor) bugles.

JKY

Edited by jkyeag

The Cavaliers

The Bluecoats

Carolina Crown

In that order.

What I base my opinion on: All the key fundamentals of good ensemble playing: Intonation, Balance, Blend. I feel all three of these corps approach ensemble with the same basic ideas and concepts.

Edited by luvs me sum mello!

• 2 weeks later...
Hard to choose without knowing the genre and style.

Ye Olde Genre Argument.Are you a brass player or not.

What a bunch of #*$+~ crap. Is it great or isn't it.

I've heard good lines play legit poorly and poor lines play swing well. You probably have too.

Do the kids know how to put air through the horn, centre the pitch, play in time and emote or don't they? If they do, then who did it the best.

This is like the arguement of the early/mid '80's. Let's argue demand over quality. If it's difficult and it stinks. Guess what - it stinks.

Best line - good luck. I'd say Cadets and Bluecoats but I didn't hear Crown.

Ye Olde Genre Argument.Are you a brass player or not.

What a bunch of #*$+~ crap. Is it great or isn't it.

I've heard good lines play legit poorly and poor lines play swing well. You probably have too.

Do the kids know how to put air through the horn, centre the pitch, play in time and emote or don't they? If they do, then who did it the best.

This is like the arguement of the early/mid '80's. Let's argue demand over quality. If it's difficult and it stinks. Guess what - it stinks.

Best line - good luck. I'd say Cadets and Bluecoats but I didn't hear Crown.

Nice blast from the past.

There's your answer.

BTW, I would never argue for demand over quality. Some of my favorite music is very simple.

Generally, The Cadets have had a VERY consistent sound over the years. That brass line in Allentown is brilliant, Gino is a genius, and a godsend. However, I voted based on 2007...and that would go to Crown...I have never heard a corps produce THAT kid of a sound on a field before...simply amazing :tongue::smile::tongue::smile: :smile: , I cant wait to hear what they put out in the next couple of years.