Classic Countdown Rankings

Well, they were 24th, so at least they got SOME votes.

Maybe it's because that show already made a classic countdown..it's not that we didn't promote it...cause we put it up. However, I also voted for Bridgemen and 94 BD. So maybe some votes got caught up in the crossfire if you know what I mean.

I don't know, it just seems like to me the Classic Countdown has run its course with the fans..maybe it's time to think up something new.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to DCIs website they have the actual ranking and vote totals.

I was very surprised.

The highest Cadets show only recieved enough votes to finish 18th.

I think 3 Cavies and 3 Regiment shows finished high up.

The "best shows" thing is skewed because of the rules they impose on the voting.

If they had gone strictly off the top vote getters with no other rules it would have been:

89 SCV (which I still have a hard time believing, GO WATCH 88 PEOPLE. 89 was great, but 88 was better)

95 Scouts

06 Regiment

06 Cavaliers

04 Cavaliers

94 Blue Devils

04 SCV

93 Star

with the next 4 rounding out the top 12 being:

89 regiment

91 Star

96 Regiment

02 Cavaliers

Thanks for this voting break down.

I think it says a lot about the state of modern drum corp that 12 of the most popular (I'm not going to say greatest - I think voting suggest popularity) shows come from 6 corps. This is, I think, one of the biggest differences between modern corp and the past. If there was a vote in the 70's (say 1978), I can't imagine that only 6 corps would have the top 12 votes. I think there was much more variety in corp styles and show styles, and people had their personal preferences.

Even though, lets say the Troopers or Boston Crusaders or the Kilties or Anaheim Kingsmen or the Muchachos, were past their best years in 1978, I can't imagine they would not be in the top 12 (or very close) in votes for some of their better years. I really can't say this with any certainty, but it's just my opinion.

I guess I shouldn't say too much since I don't really follow what's going on today. Like some of the younger generation of die hard fans are bored by yesteryear, I'm kinda bored with today's shows. They're really good and artistic, I'm sure :laugh: . But I don't attend the ballet or symphony or opera, so there is a lot I don't understand. :silly:

. Were you in the 3rd row of the upper half, near the left side?

Yes. That would be me.

I don't know, it just seems like to me the Classic Countdown has run its course with the fans..maybe it's time to think up something new.

I am beginning to agree. Maybe DCI should hold Classic Countdowns every 5 years, coinciding with the major anniversary years, to make it more of a special event. We can have the Quarterfinals cinecast remain yearly, of course.

Like Kevin, I agree also. When DCI first started these showings in theaters, I was all over it. I just knew that no matter what, I'd never miss a showing. I attended the first two, having to drive 2 hours both times, only to leave disappointed. Not because of the performances and the shows that were featured, but because of the lack of excitement and volume in the theater. Missing was that adrenaline rush that you can only get live. So after last year's offering, I figured I might not attend another theater showing. When this year's countdown came up, I didn't even bother to vote. It had already gotten "old hat" to me and not worth the effort, and I'm a fan/former member from the past four decades. The countdown has lost its uniqueness and appeal. I agree...time for something new.

the only corps up there that I voted for were the Scouts.

~>conner

Like Kevin, I agree also. When DCI first started these showings in theaters, I was all over it. I just knew that no matter what, I'd never miss a showing. I attended the first two, having to drive 2 hours both times, only to leave disappointed. Not because of the performances and the shows that were featured, but because of the lack of excitement and volume in the theater. Missing was that adrenaline rush that you can only get live. So after last year's offering, I figured I might not attend another theater showing. When this year's countdown came up, I didn't even bother to vote. It had already gotten "old hat" to me and not worth the effort, and I'm a fan/former member from the past four decades. The countdown has lost its uniqueness and appeal. I agree...time for something new.

I agree with this, and this has been my concern. I realize my last statement rubbed some of you the wrong way (please take your shots, I sometimes have them coming and probably deserve them), but allow me to add just a bit more.

My problem after the 1st of these (which I felt was good) is that under the current format there are too many variables and I feel DCI needs to establish some concrete guidelines or just decide for themselves who will be aired. Everybody sees it differently. Most will vote for their favorite shows rather than vote for those shows which are truly classic (whether they liked them or not) or perhaps voting for those shows that are truly performed to perfection. Younger people want to see the most recent shows (and I understand this), and older folks want to see shows from their generation, but the sheer number in one age group vs the other will likely slant things in favor of the younger crowd. And this is not to take away from the fact that many younger fans have voted for older shows, and it's not to say that I don't like the recent shows. But in all of this what we end up with is not always the best mix of things, or we get an SCV 89, a show I love, but one that has already been shown. Or we get stuff that was just aired on the Cinecast back in August, like the 2006 shows, which are not exactly classic shows just yet. They likely will become that, but let's give it some time.

The message that is sent is also confusing. Are we picking the best 8 or 12 corps of all time? Are we picking 8 to 12 corps that have not yet been shown? Are we picking 8 to 12 shows that are truly classics, legendary shows that brought unique features to the fabric of drum corps? I mean, what the heck is the message? This is what DCI needs to be really clear about. I would just prefer to see DCI select a list of corps that helped to break visual barriers from 1972 to 1985 and then propose 20 shows that fall into that time frame for which we can then vote on 8 or 12 for the showing. Now it becomes clear what the message is, what we are to expect, and that this is not a best-of-all-time challenge or anything like that. Perhaps they could do a best of the 1990s. Whatever. But this is the kind of thing that would make it much more clear for the voters. Otherwise, the voting is just odd, and people will vote for various corps for all kinds of reasons, and therefore you turn as many people away as those you attract.

You can tell people to vote for the best 12 corps of all time, but to many this means voting for the most entertaining or the shows they thought were the best, or the shows they thought should have won, or it means voting for the best 12 that they have actually seen. To some it might mean voting for the 12 best scoring champions, and to others it might mean voting for the hardest shows. People will vote for all kinds of reasons, and those reasons may also be reasons others do NOT want to attend the countdown. This is why we really don't let the fans judge shows and assign scores. Sometimes when you give too much power to the people the infrastructure begins to break down and the criteria becomes cloudy and confusing. People tend to vote their heart, they vote for what they want, but what DCI needs to do is assign and clarify what the Countdown needs, and that depends on a clear vision for that particular showing.

I personally think an Historical Classic Countdown would be neat. It could be narrated by someone with a real knowledge of the activity (in between the shows) and its growth, and only those shows that best exemplified the changes, innovations, new directions, ideas and concepts are covered, and perhaps they are not shown in full, but at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the show, and that way they could cover 16 corps from 1972 to 1985, then do another Cinecast covering 16 corps from 1985 to 2000. This would be neat, and it would provide fans a good solid foundation for the activity with accurate historical facts being presented and interviews about what happened during those years. There would be no voting. The corps shown are those decided by people at DCI (or people they select) who know the history well, and who will not vote for favorites which can ultimately ignore the truth and the facts about the most important aspects of performance, visual design, innovation, and concepts from the beginning to now. But this is just one idea of what they could do. Whether it would do any better than the last two, I don't know.

JW

I'm glad for my Bridgemen buddies they got their due..but Star 93? C'mon people..91 is the best of all time imo...I'm surprised by the 06 shows too.. I just heard the Faust show for the first time, I wonder what the drill looked like.

Wow..the only ones I like from this list are Bridgemen, Blue Devils (love that 94 show) and the Madison show.

I'm glad I didn't go...this was just really strange....93 over 91 Star? :ph34r::blink::blink:

Personally I think that they shouldn't have allowed any shows from a previous year..it just isn't "classic" to me.

I said in another thread that the 70's guys invented the Internet, but it was the 90's and 00's that popularized it, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that recent shows would appeal to the younger, Internet-savvy crowd, and garner more votes and older corps performances would be shunned. '87 Garfield/SCV for example???

So it shouldn't surprise anybody that '93 Star ranked higher than '91--it is the single most affective (check the definition of affective vs. effective--I used the right word) show in the 90's and 00's in terms of where it took the activity. Plus the Star folks have the extra incentive of that "f u" send-off the '93 corps kind of left us with, intentionally or not. So, yeah, I'm not surprised to see '93 in there.

Great to see '94 BD. Maybe not the best show they've every put on the field, but danged (edited out damnudd?) if it isn't the best corps they ever fielded! It was always a joy to be at the same show as them just to hear theiry standstill in arc. Jeez, I was in a top-3 and I was completely enraptured by their talent! PR '94 had arguably the best hornline ever (to that point) in the corps history, so I wasn't in a bad hornline either, mind you! Dang, I would have liked to have heard their victory arc. Where's the drooling emoticon when you need him?

Edited by silvertrombone

I am beginning to agree. Maybe DCI should hold Classic Countdowns every 5 years, coinciding with the major anniversary years, to make it more of a special event. We can have the Quarterfinals cinecast remain yearly, of course.

NOW THAT, makes sense !! :ph34r:

With the popularity of two of the 2006 Championships’ performances, I wish DCI would consider having a broadcast of the previous year’s Finals in February or March.

How about name it --"Count down to a Champion?" :)

Believe it wouldn’t hurt the DVD sales --DVDs would have been on sale for a few months, so I that would not be an issue.

Even though I have a big screen TV at home with all the bells and whistles, it still would be cool to see finals on the BIG Screen.