Drugs in drum corps

Yea Jami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in the previous thread, DCI policy should include the right to search personal belongings. I heard some people turn this into drug testing, which I agree would be too costly. However, the threat of a search at any given time in any given place may be a good hindrance. It's a start.

Yeah drug testing would also not work because unless it's administered by professionals, it can be highly inaccurate. And it also doesn't catch drugs like oxycotin which are becoming extremely prevalent these days. Not only that but kids can often screen positive for having legal substances in their system so really. That's a big reason why random drug screens in schools won't work.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I feared the worst about yesterdays thread as I saw it grow was the underlying use of the word "epidemic."

I felt it was irresponsible at best to even IMPLY we are suffering an "epidemic" of drug use in this activity when there is NO PROOF whatsoever of that being the case. I also believe that on an individual corps basis, if there are people who have problems with using of any sort and it's that obvious, the corps director or caption head might intercede with that person and look for ways to help that individual privately and without humiliation or recrimination.

Keep in mind that that word was used as a form of sarcasm, and was a reply to a debate that came out of the cell phone thread originally.

If you want the reference, heres the polling info I have from when I last checked the thread...

poll.jpg

I think drug tests should be done on all the kids before they join and at any given point once during the season. Not to be scheduled as for them to know when. They do it in pro sports, they should do it to help our kids too. This is about getting help too, it is about peoples lives. JMHO.

Keep in mind that that word was used as a form of sarcasm, and was a reply to a debate that came out of the cell phone thread originally.

well, I did not even have an inclination that that was the case, and how on earth would anyone who just came into the thread have any way of knowing that if they didn't go into the cell phone thread?

Not saying this in an angry tone... just saying...

I think drug tests should be done on all the kids before they join and at any given point once during the season. Not to be scheduled as for them to know when. They do it in pro sports, they should do it to help our kids too. This is about getting help too, it is about peoples lives. JMHO.

See my reply at the top of this page as to why that wouldn't work.

Oh and the nfl only have like...a lot more money than DCI.

well, I did not even have an inclination that that was the case, and how on earth would anyone who just came into the thread have any way of knowing that if they didn't go into the cell phone thread?

Not saying this in an angry tone... just saying...

Yeah I understand. What happened was Mr. Passionatedc (who was upset about the Cavaliers' no cell phones policy) got involved in what became a pretty epic debate thread on cell phones. During that thread the idea of parental contact and possibility of illegal activity on tour came up, and a few "old-timers" said that there's an epidemic of drug use (I'm pretty sure someone actually used the term). Jayzer was like um wtf no" so he started that thread and the poll as a way to ascertain (sarcastically) if there really was such wide-spread drug usage in drum corps, something he had personally never witnessed.

And then that thread exploded, and then people started figuring out the first amendment doesn't apply to web forums that can make their own rules, which resulted in lots of anger from people getting their threads closed and lulz to be had by all watching it happen.

In b4 lock/move/ban/asplosion.

ahhh... I see.

I bet 85% of the people responding in that poll did not know the correlation or connection to the cell phone thread, and I could only imagine a parent of a kid in drum corps who might like to paruse these forums reading that poll and the posts in yesterdays thread and completely freaking out... unnecessarily and unjustifiably.

Thanks for the explanation of the connection... I appreciate that.

Thanks newterak...

And let's open the discussion up to staff members on tour who are caught with illegal substances. What should be done to handle that problem? Again not talking about what a staff member does at home, this would be a instance when he/she is physically with the corps.

See my reply at the top of this page as to why that wouldn't work.

Oh and the nfl only have like...a lot more money than DCI.

I understand your point. Testing for many drugs would be toooooooooo costly. But for Pot. Not very. They even have home tests. I doubt the kids that make a corps would be on the heavy stuff and if they are they are doing pot too. Just a thought.