Favorite Sop Solos

Roland Garceau, Syracuse Brigadiers, 2001, MacArthur Park, I think marched also with Blue Devils 94, Dutch Boy 90 and Renegades 04-?

Best solo this song has heard on the field

Ritchee Price and James Centorino, Rhode Island Matadors, entire 1978 show, Ritchee I know marched Bucs, Statesmen and possibly bush? Not sure where else Centorino may have marched

One of those "How do they play that high" moments

Joey Pero, Empire Statesmen, 2006, America, Also marched Mighty St. Joes Alumni, Ghost Riders

Just beautiful

who's got some more favorites?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roland Garceau, Syracuse Brigadiers, 2001, MacArthur Park, I think marched also with Blue Devils 94, Dutch Boy 90 and Renegades 04-?

Ritchee Price and James Centorino, Rhode Island Matadors, entire 1978 show, Ritchee I know marched Bucs, Statesmen and possibly bush?

He played DCA Finals 1 year with "Generations".

Not sure where else Centorino may have marched

Boston Crusaders in the mid 60's. 1967 for sure.

Joey Pero, Empire Statesmen, 2006, America, Also marched Mighty St. Joes Alumni, Ghost Riders

Just beautiful

Diry Eddie and the mellophone solo in Elks, and Grass and/or Sidemouth doing the the sop solo in Elks.

Curt Hawkins in any number of solos with either Steel City or Cabs. The man not only has range but he hits the center of the pitch effortly as well.

Riggie Laus playing in individuals whether it be Hors Staccatto (sp), Flight of the Bumble Bee or anything else he played. Fantastic technician on his G-D Czechoslovakian pee shooter, piston- slide Getzen deluxe.

I* could go on but it's getting past my bedtime.

Tommy Martin - "I Loves You Porgy" - USAF Corps, 1962

Frank Buscemi - "West Point March" (Dixieland solo) - Selden Cadets, 1962

Jimmy Ednie - "Concerto in F" - Skyliners, '69/'70

You know, this is bringing such a good vibe I may just have to figure out how to get a recording released of all these great solos from back in the day, similar to the one we did for DCI. Hmmm.

I'll probably get slammed for this, but I thought the soprano solo leading into the very beginning of SCV 1995 was pretty sick.

EDIT: Posted before I realized it was an alumni corps topic. Oh well, I stand by what I said.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

Ritchee Price and James Centorino, Rhode Island Matadors, entire 1978 show, Ritchee I know marched Bucs, Statesmen and possibly bush? Not sure where else Centorino may have marched

I don't remember where Jim marched from '55-'67 he was our horn instructor in '67-'68 though and the person that invited me to join BAC in '69...

Jim's DC history

??: 1955-1967

BAC: 1967-1971

Matadors: 1974-1982

Ritchie Price marched with the Sunrisers as well...

MARCHED AS SOLOIST AND LEAD SOPRANO - 1984 & 1985.

BRASS TECHNIQUE INSTRUCTOR - 1985

Just beautiful

Tommy Martin - "I Loves You Porgy" - USAF Corps, 1962

Frank Buscemi - "West Point March" (Dixieland solo) - Selden Cadets, 1962

Jimmy Ednie - "Concerto in F" - Skyliners, '69/'70

You know, this is bringing such a good vibe I may just have to figure out how to get a recording released of all these great solos from back in the day, similar to the one we did for DCI. Hmmm.

WoHoo!! FTD, THAT would be a recording! :wall:

Ritchie Price marched with the Sunrisers as well...

MARCHED AS SOLOIST AND LEAD SOPRANO - 1984 & 1985.

BRASS TECHNIQUE INSTRUCTOR - 1985

Yep.... Ritchee's senior/all-age corps resume' consists of the Buccaneers, Matadors, Sunrisers, Generations and Empire Statesmen. With a couple of stage appearances with the Westshoremen Alumni corps thrown in for good measure. :)

Fran

Off the top of my head:

Not a solo..... but Skyliners' soprano duet in "Down By The Station".... 1963. I'm gonna take an educated guess and say one of the players was Tommy Martin, but I'm not totally sure about that or who the other player was. One of the two best duets I've ever heard in drum corps (Blue Devils' "Dindi" duet in 1980 being the other).

John Arietano, Sunrisers..... "Old Man River" at DCA Finals in 1976. "Screech" at the absolute top of his high-note game. I mean, he was totally off the hook that night.

Anything Ritchee Price has ever played. :wall:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I have to add Donny Allen and Dave Martin with every upstate NY corps (just to cover myself). There was also a soloist with Cru in 1990 but I forgot his name.

All the others mentioned are great too! Hey Ironlips...you really dug deep for those! LOL