Favorite Sop Solos

Off the top of my head:

Not a solo..... but Skyliners' soprano duet in "Down By The Station".... 1963. I'm gonna take an educated guess and say one of the players was Tommy Martin, but I'm not totally sure about that or who the other player was. One of the two best duets I've ever heard in drum corps (Blue Devils' "Dindi" duet in 1980 being the other).

John Arietano, Sunrisers..... "Old Man River" at DCA Finals in 1976. "Screech" at the absolute top of his high-note game. I mean, he was totally off the hook that night.

Anything Ritchee Price has ever played. :lol:

Fran

Fran,

The "Station" duet was Tommy Martin and Tommy "Bucky" Swan that year. Harry went to the Cabs in '63.

Ray

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Ponzo , well I just love to listen to this guy. I also had the pleasure to march with Curt Hawkins all year in 2003, such great people and great players. My luck continues as this year I get the opportunity to appreciate Geneviève's talent as she comes back in First Time, I also listened many times and loved Roland's playing in McArthur Park in 01 I think.

Roland also marched with Bush in 1995 and 1996. The top four in the Brigs championship line Roland, Alex, Mark and Scott.

Frank Ponzo,form Cabs and of course Joey Pero and Ritchie from statesmen.

My all time favorite is Roland loved him since Dutch Boy. I hear he is a daddy now. Way to go Roland.

Bob (Slim) Collins Pagliacci Cabs 1977 Thats a scream!!!!!

Anything by George "Sidemouth" Richardson, Tommy Martin, Tom Swan, John Girardi, and any who played solos in NY are awesome to me!

All these guys that have been mentioned are awesome!! All of them!! They have been inspirations to drum corps brass players for generations.

However, the guy I think that is the best ever is someone I had the pleasure of marching with back in the late 70's with the Bridgemen.

Jim Brady.

Check out 77,78 Bridgemen.

:grouphug:

He's the best.

Edited by Dennis Argul

OK ...I never met Ponzo...but from what I have learned...I hope to shake the mans hand someday.

U da man Frank!

I remember a jr. corps, I think it was the Genadiers, but I forget where they were from. They played "Cappriccio Espanol" and had really cool soprano duets in it.

In our own Jr. corps, Carl Slagely taught our hornline for awhile. (some of you may remember him as a protege of Truman Crawford back in the early 70s. We played a song called, "Spanish Rogue" and it needed something to boost the GE. Carl wrote this really neat soprano descant based on the famous trumpet solo in "La Virgen De La Marcarena" by the legendary Rafael Mendez. The solo was over the hornline as the sopranos were in 4/4 and the bass was in 3/4.

On piston/rotor, it was a bear to play, but the effect was really cool. I did an OK job with it, but I always wondered how cool it would be if someone like Cabs had played it.

Yep.... Ritchee's senior/all-age corps resume' consists of the Buccaneers, Matadors, Sunrisers, Generations and Empire Statesmen. With a couple of stage appearances with the Westshoremen Alumni corps thrown in for good measure. :)

Fran

Couldn't hold a job, eh? b**bs