Managing Memory Loss.................................? Oh Yah

During a rehearsal on a particularly hot and humid day, the staff told us to set up for a full run at the end of rehearsal. The next thing I knew, I was standing in the gym in front of a huge fan. I had about a 20 minute period when I just blacked out, and I don't remember a thing about what happened. From what my corpsmates told me, I marched the entire show, and walked back to the gym on my own. I guess that when I got in front of that cool fan, it kind of woke me back up.

After that experience, I made sure to drink plenty of water and eat lots of fruit all the time.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canos 04 It happened to me I dont remember much but just trying to catch up to the form. I just kept marching, I was about 5 yards in front of the form. I snapped out of it really quick because i realized what was going on.

ECJ 05. I remember we were doing a night show. I remember going on to the field and blacking out. I remember marching somewhat but I felt really dazed, and really relaxed. I dont know if it was all the pain killers that i took or not. I remember walking back to the truck and that was it.

Last season the same thing happened during semis. I caught it and recovered really fast.

Edited by dcf06

Huh, brain freeze not me..............................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

........................................................................... :blush:

finals night '06 was kind of like that for me, but nowhere near what some people in this thread are saying.

boxingfred, thats a pretty scary/interesting story. id love to watch myself on a video afterwards to see what i had actually done while i was in that trance.

Not so much brain freeze, but..... I found that I suffered from a sort of stage fright when I went on the field... butterflies in the stomach, resisting the urge to fight or flight... that sort of thing. Somehow, I had my music and drill so ingrained into my brain that auto pilot would take over from the minute the gun went off until the last note was played. I could stare thru anything... judges in my way were non existent. Even today I could hear a recording of the show and be able to play my parts right along with it... but the drill.... not likely. :)

Edited by susantaylor40

In 1982 with the Garfield Cadets. DCI prelims. McGill Stadium. Montreau Canada.

The Cadets in 1982 uniforms were wool lined jackets and wool pants. Even on the coolest days we were hot.

That day it had to be upper 90s to low 100's. anyway, before we went on the field I took a deep breath and held it. (like I always did before every show) I totallly blacked out!

I woke up in the middle of Gershwins Concerto in F with my horn up. Everbodies elses horn was down.

I must have marched the first third of the show on muscle memory.

Regardless of your error, y'all really came on strong in Finals. I can tell you it hurts more to lose by .1 than by 1 point. BTW, a fellow Louisiana Southernaire was on the bari line with y'all that year and in '83.

The only time I couldn't remember what I had to do was back in '04 in Kingston, NY with the CorpsVets. I had recently changed horns, part, and drill position and had relearned the entire show. We were in the end zone getting ready to take the field and I told the guy next to me (another Phantom Regiment alum, '81) that I don't remember what I'm supposed to do in the show. He told me not to sweat it, that it will come back. He was right. After the timing gun went off at the beginning of the show, I was fine for the entire show. I guess that was more stage fright than memory loss. I had the same kind of stage fright in my very first drum corps performance in 1978 and when the timing gun went off at the beginning of the show, I was fine for the entire show.

I've spaced out and stopped thinking during a show, just going through the motions, then "woke up" halfway through and freaked out. I didn't mess up or anything, just got a mental jolt, but it was still pretty scary.

Yup. :grouphug: "On the field from.... Oooo look at the people...... AHH WTF THE DRUM CADENCE?? oh we're done hrm...... :)

1984..... wasn't in a show, but during retreat. I played the solo in "Georgia" most nights, (Hunter Moss would play it sometimes as well) and I had done so a good bit in 1983 as well. It had really became "second nature". One evening, for some reason, I played the first 4 bars of the solo segment and it was fine. Halfway through, I completely blanked....... I realized, I didn't remember the rest of the solo, but also realized, I couldn't just stand there, with a crowd that knew the chart as well as I did. I tried to improvise (I'm sure very poorly as I was just panicked and was trying to figure out what I THOUGHT the chord changes MIGHT be) and then kind of "slinked" back into the hornline trying to find a hole to hide in.

When we finished playing the hit Hunter and one of the other leads (Mike Elam) asked "What was THAT?" (in more colorful terms). When I told them I just forgot it, they didn't believe me at first, but realized, I was just as mortified as they were. As we were marching off the field (fortunately it hadn't been as part of a "Victory" concert, we were leaving before whoever had won that night), Corps Director Freddy Martin and Corps Manager Brad Caraway walked away from their group waiting for critique in the endzone to confront me. They were furious and thought I had just been trying to "be cute" and improvise the last half of the solo....... I kept trying to tell them that I just simply forgot it and Freddy said "You've played it every night of your life for the last 2 years and you simply FORGOT IT?? That's ########!!!

It was several days before they allowed me to play the solo again and I'm not sure they EVER really believed me, but it was true..... I wasn't fool enough to try and "improve" on a classic.

All these years later, it's rather humorous, but it wasn't back then.....

AA

Has happened to me a few times in high school marching band. It's a pretty horrible feeling having no idea where you're supposed to be going.

1992 Star of Indiana, we were at Preview of Champions at Nashville TN, as we began the closer I fuzzed out and began to play the contra part that we had recently cut :grouphug: .