Drum Corps Marriages

My wife, Mary marched Crossmen - 79-82 and I marched Cadets 82-83. We met at West Chester University (the site of many drum corps relationships) and found out after we met that we were both in drum corps.

We still stay involved with drumcorps by working for DCI at events together with our daughter.

We celebrate 23 years of marriage this July. I passed the point on this past November 6th when I have been married to her for longer than I wasn't. Not that I was counting... :ph34r: I guess I am now officially her fault.

A big thanks to Robbie Robinson, Sr. for allowing a guy from the enemy to hang out with the Crossmen gang.... :P Who would have thunk it that we'd never quite go away.

I have future band parents where I teach who married as well - Joan "Bayone" and Bopper - a Bridgemen/Crossmen relationship. I don't know if many folks ever knew their real names :wub:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband, Don, marched in Madison (baritone) 80 - 82 and I marched CapitalAires (flag) 75 - 79/State Street 78-79, 83-84. We met at the Madison Jr. Scouts April camp in 1984 where he was teaching the hornline and I had just started teaching the guard. He asked me to marry him 33 days later and we were married in October of 1984. I always tell my kids - "Don't even think about it!"

My kids "love" the story of how he asked me to marry him. We were at Jr. Scouts camp and the kids were working on drill, so section leaders had some time off. "Mister baritone guy" took me into the guys locker room to show me how horns resonant in the shower. Yes, I went and that's all that happened! Really! Anyway we were in there talking and the kids started coming in, so we hid in a stairway in the back part of the shower room. While we were sitting there waiting for the kids to leave, he asked me to marry him.

:ph34r:

:ph34r:

I'm another 'victim' of drum corps romance. :wub:

My wife marched with MBI in '74 while I was in the Army, and rejoined the corps right after the 4th of July in '79. We hit it off right away, and got engaged right around Christmas that year.

Married 5-9-81...I'm not as involved with the corps as my wife is, but we're both still around. Gwynne is the BOD secretary for MBI, along with doing a large part of putting together the guard uni's and equipment, along with keeping the regular corps uniforms in service. NEVER GOES ON A TRIP W/O HER SEWING MACHINE !! :P

I occasionally help w/ logistics on road trips..acting as a gopher if needed, and I usually work the gate at MBI's show.

26 years together and we haven't shot one another....yet b**bs

Pat

There are two school's of thought here; 1) Marry and non-DC person and you can enjoy it yourself 2) Marry a DC person and you can both enjoy the activity together.

Some of my DC friends who married non-DC people, enjoy the time away :)

I enjoy having my wife next to me at shows. We have very spirited conversations about our differences regarding drum corps

I've always thought if I was to get married, I would prefer a gal with some sort of drum corps ties. As important as it is to me, having the bond would be cool. I've taken many a ladies (non DC) to shows and though they like it and enjoy it, they don't quite grasp the intensity that I have for it. Or expect them to for that matter.

My wife never marched drum corps, but we met through it. She was a fan and I was a soloist. :ph34r::wub::wub:

You married a groupie? :)

I first met my wife in '86 Troopers. But I was a contra rookie (in the words of Jim Jones, we were the ..."marching bags of sh!! with no brains") and she was the guard commander, so she doesn't remember that. :) Oh, and she was dating the DM at the time. How can you compete with that?

Later, we both attended University of Wyoming where she never noticed me. Maybe it was my mullet. :ph34r:

But then, in 1993 I was on the Troopers brass staff. She came to see the corps at a standstill at the Jubilee Days rodeo in Laramie, WY. I was in the stands with the brass caption head, Bill Long, who my wife recognized from his previous stints with the corps in the early '80s. I got introduced, got her number, and the rest, as they say is history. We've been married 7 years and have two great kids. Our two-year old loves music and plays (OK, blats) a little boy scout bugle that I got from a great aunt's estate.

As I mentally survey some of my fellow Troopers BOD members, I find the following drum corps marriages:

DG - marched with his wife in '91 Troopers horn line

JM - marched with his wife in '81-'82 Troopers (he was DM, she was guard commander)

TW - marched with his wife in '84 and '85 (he was DM, she was guard commander a few years later)

MO - marched with his wife in '90 and '91 Troopers (he was corps commander, she was in the guard)

KG - marched against her husband in the early '70's. She was in the Troopers guard, he was the Blue Star drum major

Me wife Barbara marched with the Westshoremen, and I marched with the Sunrisers... and a local-circuit junior corps from New Jersey before that, the Sacred Heart Crusaders from Manville.

I actually knew Barbara's dad Fred Mowbray before I met her. Fred was a longtime writer for Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World, and I would see him at various all-age and junior shows on the East coast over the years.

I met Barbara at DCA Championships in Hershey, PA, in 1988..... I was still living in NJ at the time, and she in Baltimore. To make a long story short, we met again the following summer at the DCA show in Cumberland, MD, then started dating later that summer.... did the "long distance dating" thing between Baltimore and NJ for a while, then got married in April of 1991, and we now live in the Baltimore area.

Both of us now are part of the Westshoremen Alumni corps. The corps does one performance each year, at the Serenade in Brass indoor concert in Harrisburg, PA, each spring.

Barbara is the co-coordinator (along with Dick Pronti) of the Individual and Ensemble/Mini-Corps show at the DCA Championship, and this summer is my 25th season announcing all-age and junior drum corps shows (and some USSBA band shows in the fall), including the DCA Championship prelims and finals.

Fran