DCA corps and fast endings

Does anyone else think that senior corps look silly trying to pull off very fast tempo endings to their show?

Juniors train all season long to be able to run on the field and still have breath and control after 10 minutes.

Seniors used to have those very slow, never ending endings which needed to change, but everyone was doing it

just like today's fast endings. Do you have to do it because everyone else is? Some old guys look awful silly

running around the field despite the trends of modern drill. Cant DCA corps put the speed drill prior to the final

notes and not end up looking and sounding frantic and out of control as a last impression?

I just watched Boston 2000 Red, they didnt end at 200 bpm.

Who had the best show ending in 2006 DCA?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant DCA corps put the speed drill prior to the final notes and not end up looking and sounding frantic and out of control as a last impression?

Sure, Bucs certainly did in 2005.

The thing to remember is that not all DCA corps are full of young, fit members. Even fit older folks have problems at higher tempos. It's just something that comes with age. In 2005, I was lucky that my spot wasn't all that hard during the last sixty seconds when we bumped to 180+. But for that short stretch (and all of Farandole, which was pretty darned fast) the corps just made it happen.

Had the corps had a lighter rehearsal schedule, we'd never have pulled it off. Rehearsing that ending (and Farandole) over and over and over built the endurance necessary. Of course, that's not a style that works for everyone, nor should it.

In 2006 the Bushwackers played Rocky Point, and that was pretty crazy fast for more than just the ending.

Does anyone else think that senior corps look silly trying to pull off very fast tempo endings to their show?

Juniors train all season long to be able to run on the field and still have breath and control after 10 minutes.

Seniors used to have those very slow, never ending endings which needed to change, but everyone was doing it

just like today's fast endings. Do you have to do it because everyone else is? Some old guys look awful silly

running around the field despite the trends of modern drill. Cant DCA corps put the speed drill prior to the final

notes and not end up looking and sounding frantic and out of control as a last impression?

I just watched Boston 2000 Red, they didnt end at 200 bpm.

Who had the best show ending in 2006 DCA?

Sometimes, fast endings are cool (Bucs comes to mind).

But one of the most effective senior corps endings of all time, IMO, had very little drill (The Rave at the end of Renegades 2003).

Unfortunately in all-age corps, the closer/ending gets the least attention. You generally learn it last and clean it last. If you ever get around to cleaning(or learning) it at all. However making it the hardest makes sense, since you don't have to recover and finish out the show afterwards. You've just got to make it off the field and out of view of the judges before passing out.

Unfortunately in all-age corps, the closer/ending gets the least attention. You generally learn it last and clean it last. If you ever get around to cleaning(or learning) it at all. However making it the hardest makes sense, since you don't have to recover and finish out the show afterwards. You've just got to make it off the field and out of view of the judges before passing out.

I would disagree there...a good ending is vital to finishing the show on a good note. You don;t HAVE to treat it like during the tick days, when you could march and play like crap as long as it was after the 11:30 gun.

We tried the fast ending bit in 03 with SoCal Dream....it was a horrible mess (thank GOD i was up on the podium!)

And you don;t have to be fast to be effective....one of my fave endings in recent years is Renegades 04....slow tempo...slow musically (quarter notes for the most part) and pure power! There was a little bit of fast stuff on the last drill move, but it was moving a triangle block into a parallellogram and not overly fast for most of the block.

I'm just saying that it makes more sense to do the most demanding thing last, as opposed to right before the ballad. Especially in smaller groups where there may only be one person on a part. Granted that you want your best execution last since that's what people/judges remember. But that doesn't always happen given the time constraints of weekends only. Especially in large regions where 90% of the last 50% of your season is on the road.

Actually, music wise, the very first thing we learned this year at Bucs was the closer, believe it or not.

when i marched, the ballad got the least attention...

If your goal is a great performance, no part of your show should get less attention than any other. Even the easy parts can look and/or sound bad if you ignore them. One of the reasons I like the process at Bucs is because we rehearse ALL parts as being equally important. Getting all of this detail into weekend reahearsals kicks my +++, but if you want to do something right, you have to get the most out of each rehearsal.

Edited by bandmanwalt