10 Commandments for Drum Corps Parents

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...my daughter will be marching this summer for the first time. I've been getting my lists together and trying so hard to get all the right "stuff" that I've been really forgetting the bigger picture and this post reminded me so much of what it is all about for her. Thanks so very much! I'm a nervous wreck, but it is alot of nervous anticipation and excitement for her. It's been a long road to get here, but we're here and we are going to do everything we can to enjoy this with her. I'm not sure what to expect as the summer goes along, but I do know that for Mother's Day, my husband surprised me with tickets to Pasadena! As he kept reminding me while I was ruminating on the many things I have yet to do and the "what ifs"..."It's all good!"

This is possibly the most useful and insightful post I've ever read on this board. I'd love to know how many times this post is printed and stuck on refrigerator doors in kitchens around the country. Or how many of us said to ourselves as we read it, "...I wish my parents would have been like her..."

Michael...did you hear from her? Mom...please write to one of us!

Dan Potter

FieldPass@dci.org

Michael Boo

boomike@dci.org

I already printed it out and it really IS on my refrigerator!! :)

Go and see your kid at a show somewhere. I didn't have anyone I knew come to shows my rookie summer (mostly due to the location of tour, how last minute my marching was, no close shows to home, etc...) and it kind of sucked. In 2005 luck had it that my sister and some of her friends were in the Hilton Head area on vacation at the same time as the show, so my parents made the trip up as well and watched all the performances. It's a nice treat to see some familiar faces from home!

:)

I started out volunteering to support my kids in the activity, but now, I do it for myself! I can't think of any other way I'd rather be spending my free time, and this year, being my oldest daughter's age-out, wild horses couldn't keep me away! I've met some of my very best friends through drum corps, and to any parents that think they might not "fit in" or " not be useful", let me tell you- there is SOMETHING for everyone to do...you kids will thank you for it!

Wow...my daughter will be marching this summer for the first time. I've been getting my lists together and trying so hard to get all the right "stuff" that I've been really forgetting the bigger picture and this post reminded me so much of what it is all about for her. Thanks so very much! I'm a nervous wreck, but it is alot of nervous anticipation and excitement for her. It's been a long road to get here, but we're here and we are going to do everything we can to enjoy this with her. I'm not sure what to expect as the summer goes along, but I do know that for Mother's Day, my husband surprised me with tickets to Pasadena! As he kept reminding me while I was ruminating on the many things I have yet to do and the "what ifs"..."It's all good!"

You just made my day. I was in your shoes last year and it was hard to let her go. It's a LONG time for those of us who are letting them go the firs ttime but really, breathe. What a wonderful mother's day gift! It's stressful sending them off but I have to tell you, my daughter grew so much between last year and this one and she became so able to make adult decisions. It's a wonderful experience and I wish you and your daughter an amazing season!

Message me anytime if you need to talk! We are all family now in this wacky world called drum corps.

That was a great post. When I marched, the corps parents had kids in the corps, but they treated us all as if we were one of their own. I still remember them to this day.

Post of the year!

What no Bb versus G, or amping complaints? This post CANNOT be allowed to remain on DCP!! :rolleyes:

This does remind one of the fragile human side of the activity. Bravo -and good luck to all those parents and volunteers who have a whole summer ahead.

Edited by Euphscott

What no Bb versus G, or amping complaints? This post CANNOT be allowed to remain on DCP!! :rolleyes:

This does remind one of the fragile human side of the activity. Bravo -and good luck to all those parents and volunteers who have a whole summer ahead.

I like my parents and volunteers acoustic. :P

On a related note, when I was the director for VK's B-corps back in the 80's, I had to meet with at least one parent before a kid was allowed to join. That was when I let them know we weren't a baby-sitting service, and that I expexted them to help in some way, shape or form. I also let them know they didn't have to be at every event, but there was a minimum requirement. I wanted them involved, and it's really amazing how lots of people can make every job easier.

In the long run, it created a sense of belonging for the parents, too, and led to more parents involved with the big corps when their kids moved up. Win-win.

My parents were big volunteers, too. In my case it was drum corps, but they'd already done scouting, little league, softball, PTA, etc. I do remember having to try harder to get my Mom's attention when touring because she became "Mom" to everyone!

Garry in Vegas