It's official DCI PHOENIX regional

My sister lived in Glendale, AZ, before I moved down there. I once asked her how she survived the summer. Her response was, "You get up in the morning in your air-conditioned house, drive your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned office, drive home in your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned house, and hang out in the pool after the sun goes down."

And that's just about right. The only thing I didn't have when I moved there was the air-conditioned car. (Hey, I lived at the beach. Who needed A/C?)

Even the day of the infamous 1990 show, when it got to 126 and they shut down the airport, it was still OK to play that night. Yes, driving down the freeway and seeing signs reading 100+ at 11:00 PM is a little weird, but it really is much more mellow once the sun sets.

Just don't forget the oven mitts. You'll need them for driving during the heat of the day!

^0^ <--- Sun Devil

SDS will be great for drum corps. I've been to several state band comps there, and the vertical rise is more than adequate for the drill freaks, but close enough downstairs to still get your face ripped off.

The rain wouldn't bother me so much if a little comes through. The lightning, however, could be an issue. And the fact that monsoon storms don't gently rain over a large area, but generally dump a lot of water in a relatively small area.

Regarding water parks, here's a list...

Big Surf

Tempe

480-947-2477

The Breakers

Marana (closer to Tucson)

520-682-2304

Kiwanis Park Recreation Center

Tempe

480-350-5777

Indoor wave pool and water slides

The Oasis at Pointe South Mountain Resort

Phoenix

877-800-4888

Sunsplash

Mesa

480-834-8319

Waterworld Safari

Phoenix

623-581-1947

I think it's great that Arizona gets a decent regional show. Yes, it would be nice if it happened more often, but it's a novelty to see complete shows at all. Have fun, Zonies!

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11. Here's one for the staff people out there. Twin Peaks Brewery. Good food...great beer. Try the Kiltlifter. It's their signature beer.

So...feel free to add to the list. I'm sure someone from the Tempe Convention and Visitors Bureau could expand on this even more.

mmm.... Kiltlifter... add the fish and chips and it's on!

I think you about covered it. I don't know that anyone will make it past Mill anyhow... I suppose I should book my room now...

My sister lived in Glendale, AZ, before I moved down there. I once asked her how she survived the summer. Her response was, "You get up in the morning in your air-conditioned house, drive your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned office, drive home in your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned house, and hang out in the pool after the sun goes down."

except in tucson, 50% of the homes use "swamp coolers"

which just don't work for the majority of the summer, lol. hence why i love my job at the big air conditioned building.

heat is also a player in the whole "siesta" culture. stores are open early, you get up early, run your errands, then SLEEP during the hottest part of the day.... get up in the evening when it's cooler and the sun is down.

it's totally do-able, folks. enjoy the show. :)

I just hope the drivers remember to drive through the Mojave during the night on their way from Phoenix to SoCal. Fun times! B)

I just hope the drivers remember to drive through the Mojave during the night on their way from Phoenix to SoCal. Fun times! B)

us driver are all NIGHT RIDERS we never see anything...its always dark.......we can tell you stories of fun at gas stops!

Advantages to the Phoenix show...

1. ASU is a HUGE university. Parking for the corps and for the audience is plentiful and right at the stadium. It's also very convenient to the 202...a major connector to I-10 and I-17.

4. Mill Ave. Crazy with college kids during the school year, Mill Ave. shops and restaurants will be running tons of off season specials. Easily within walking distance from the stadium.

8. Corps will have ample space to warm up. There's a great spot on the Avenue of the Palms just south of University and norht of the Hayden Library. It's easily accessible from the stadium and would have gorgeous acoustics for a big hornline.

In addition though, you have to keep in mind the horrible light rail traffic. Mill + University + Rural and all the small streets around the stadium are restricted down to one lane because of the light rail construction. I attend ASU, and driving there is no piece of cake. My advice to anyone coming from out of town... do NOT get a hotel around the ASU area because it will be noisy and most likely hard to find. Also, try and look up road closures before heading that direction that way you can find out the BEST way to get to the Stadium's parking lots. I know how much of a headache trying to find your way around in a new, landlocked and under construction city can be.