"Ranking Corps"

If you haven't noticed, how couldn't you, college sports teams have rankings. That is what that little number is by their name. Based on the teams performance, it may change from week to week. But before the season even starts, the teams already have a rating. It is based of of previous seasons and current prospects or leaving members from the team. Is this type of rating scale possible with drum corps? The obvious would point out that every year the corps are different and that last years corps may not be an accurate depiction of this years corps. To that, I say that college sports teams are never the same year after year, and yet they still have accurate ratings.

Cavilers (1)

Phantom (2)

etc.

:wub:

If you haven't noticed, how couldn't you, college sports teams have rankings. That is what that little number is by their name. Based on the teams performance, it may change from week to week. But before the season even starts, the teams already have a rating. It is based of of previous seasons and current prospects or leaving members from the team. Is this type of rating scale possible with drum corps? The obvious would point out that every year the corps are different and that last years corps may not be an accurate depiction of this years corps. To that, I say that college sports teams are never the same year after year, and yet they still have accurate ratings.

Cavilers (1)

Phantom (2)

etc.

Too difficult to accurately rank. We don't have enough information. The best way to do this is to actually go to many of the camps in the winter and see where they stand.

Edited by jjeffeory

I think the first couple weeks of scores are pretty good indicators of where corps are starting out...

If drum corps received the same kind of scrutiny from publications like the multiple pre-season magazines for college and pro sports, you might see something like this. But, living in Vegas, I can tell you a lot of it has to do with gambling.

You'd have to have analysts and reporters who attended camps to track the number of age-outs (graduates), the incoming recruiting class, injury reports, staff, etc.

It's pretty involved.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Does Drum Corps World still have its writers' poll? That seemed like rankings.

The thing is, those early season rankings are often full of crap when you look back at them on the end of the season (see Notre Dame and Florida State last year (two of my alma maters, how sad); they started the season ranked 2nd and 10th and finished 19th and unranked respectively). I mean, you can have a pretty good guess in anything, but it isn't until the season starts playing out that you have a real good idea, be it in drum corps or college football or whatever. We know for example that Regiment and Cavaliers will most likely be super successful this year, but you never know for sure; who would've guessed what happened to Cadets last year or Vanguard in 05 was going to happen?

So I guess... it'd be kind of fun to have drum corps pre-season rankings, but they aren't even very meaningful in sports, where we have a lot more information, so I really doubt they would be of much use here. I guess a poll might be somewhat useful a couple weeks into the season.

Edited by Loud-is-good

Cavilers (1)

Phantom (2)

etc.

There's a couple reasons why rankings aren't used in drum corps vs. college sports.

1) There are how many D1 corps vs. college? :beer:

2) There was a time when there was more corps that either I or Matt Elcock were using a program called Season Ranking which used scores, margin of victory, and win/loss ratio as the basis for the results. Matt and I both lost interest in doing it anymore because of the lack of corps. BTW, I still have Season Ranking on my computer. It still works, it's just a question if it would be viable.

3) Judges on the field rank the corps already, why duplicate that?? :wub:

Edited by sburstall

Plus judging in California, say, against New Jersey against Illinois is less accurate than the referees watching USC play Arizona or BC play Florida State in college football. But people on the inside know. My drum guy back in the winter before 85 remarked that Madison was going to be the class of the Midwest that year, since their dropout rate had been low and their average age was so high. Specious argument, perhaps, but he was right, and right from day 1. Anohter "inside" colleague said the same about Phantom prior to 1996:"If they clean their show enough, they'll win."

Kind of like the chorus gypsies in Broadway shows, who always know before anyone else if a show is going to fail...