3 Favorite Cadets Drumlines?

Kind of like last weekend, but drumlines - mine

3. 2003 - loved the cowbells on the snares. Very cool syncopation in the tenor and snare breaks - they could have layed a big turd if someone ticked even just a little bit, and, I just love the writing.

2. 2000 - I know, they didn't win drums, but I think it is one of Cadets best. I never get tired of the tenor feature (watching or listening).

1. 1989 - my favorite Cadets line - I think they got completely screwed in drums. They were killing SCV the week before finals by over a point in drums, I guess just listen to the recording. Star and PR were also great, but I think Cadets should have won drums.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they all... kinda... sound the same?

~>conner

They have had many, many great lines. I would say this:

1. 2003 - The best outdoor field line I have heard. Just excellent writing and man did they lay it down at finals. Actually, they were on all three nights at championships.

2. 1994 - This line is not spoken about much, but they technically did "win" drum on finals night, and man were they smokin.

3. 1987 - Despite the controversy, and whether one thinks they deserved a perfect score or not, you have to admit that this line was clean, musical, and they were moving all over the place.

The next best line for them, IMO, was 2005, followed by 1994, 2002, and 1993.

As for 1989, I guess I thought they did win drums, but I must be wrong. I know they won guard in 1989, but I thought they took drums too, but SCV was also a hot line that year.

I love 1993, and that bass drum line might be the best I've ever heard from that particular section, but their snares just didn't lay it down on finals. Coming into championships in 1993 they were expected to take drums, guard, and GE.

The 2000 line was a bit more flash for my taste, but it was exciting and well done. I prefer their 2001 line for its musical playing, and despite the older drums, the 1985 line played some great stuff.

JW

if I had to pick one, it'd be 2003. some parts were really cool.

~>conner

The 2005 line absolutely blew me away. Haven't loved and listened to a drumline like that in years.

Loved how they changed their style, technique and proficiency so completely over the 82-84 seasons, so I'm kind of partial to those lines, too. Cymbal lines in those years were so musical, played such tough, interesting parts with such great technique, and marched Zingali's drill as kind of extensions to the horn line. Great stuff.

Karen

For just utterly ridiculous cleanliness, I'd say 2003 is my favorite line. Other than that though, all the books sound way too similar in my opinion... and not very musical either.

Loved how they changed their style, technique and proficiency so completely over the 82-84 seasons, so I'm kind of partial to those lines, too.

Karen

I became a fan in 86, I have recordings of those years, but wasn't aware they made any major changes, - how did they change their style, technique etc.??

Edited by MJN

2006, 2000... and.... some other good one.

I completly disagree about 2006 - that line would be way, way down on my list. But, that is just my opinion :P