3 Favorite Cadets Drumlines?

Thanks!! Did you march w/Cadets??

Nope. I was the DM for the Bridgemen and then Star, but my little sister was in Cadets (drumline, in fact) and has the serious hardware to prove it! :laugh:

Definitely check out some of the video of those early 80's years. If you want to completely blow your mind, watch 80 and then 82 - a shocking jump in style and talent - and then throw on 84 just to enjoy.

Cheers!

Karen

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 (does anyone else think that 2003 finals night was the best executed Cadets performance, maybe ever (all captions)? I know they only won drums, and that they won everything in 2005...maybe 1990 would rival this, but 2003 finals night was incredible)...

(hm 1984, 2005, 1994)

well...i marched 03 and 05, and i know what you mean. It was pretty clear in 03 that the show suffered, perhaps more than it should have from a lack of GE. while 03 wasnt perfect, there was even more visual dirt in 05, and the hornline, while much more exciting in 05, was probably not as clean as 03. Drums...im not sure, though i think 03 wins there as well

Per the thread title, these are my personal favorites. All the choices may not be top-shelf from a technical standpoint, but they are the shows I still love listening to.

1989 - What a book!

1995 - Yeah, It wasn't the most technical show, but I love the hoppin' from drum-to-drum bass drum lick!

I'm not a Cadets fan -never have been so I haven't paid attention to what lines were better/worse over the years, but I will admit the bassline solo from last year was awesome! The line was clean - It was just so hard to pay attention to them because of all the other crap going on during the show. They always seem to be in the top few lines each year, though. Now that they have Colin McNutt in the mix they will probably be even better again this year.

In no particular order I would have to go with 89, 03, and 05. (probably biased about 03 and 05 because I had a student in each one of those tenor lines).

But I just saw a video interview with Tom Aungst on the vicfirth web site and he says that 89 was the first ever show he wrote for competitive purposes. Not important, I just found that interesting.

I see a lot of folks here stating how much they love 89....that was, without a doubt, my favorite year to march. There were a bunch of "super-vets" in that line....Willy Higgins (marched 84-89, minus 85, Cadets snare tech from 90-98), Lee Beddis (87-90, KILLER PLAYER who's now at Crown), Scott Clark, (87-92) who if you don't know, has the undisputed BADDEST left hand the activity's ever seen (NO kidding....he was engineered in the DCI labs somewhere), and 2 cats who marched 88. Me and 2 of the sickest rook-outs ever to play snare drum rounded it out.

Lotsa , LOTSA notes (you should have seen it before finals....even MORE notes....aaaaiiiggghhh!!!!) I have the finals warmup in the lot on tape, with SCV, Star, BD, Freelancers, Bluecoats in the lot in Kansas City, as well. If someone here has the chops to transfer it to digital, I'd be willing to send it to them for posting for all to hear....as long as they're willing to return it to me in a timely fashion and supply me with a CD copy of the tape!!!! Just PM me, and we can set it up.

Lemme know.....

Scott Clark, (87-92) who if you don't know, has the undisputed BADDEST left hand the activity's ever seen (NO kidding....he was engineered in the DCI labs somewhere),

Lotsa , LOTSA notes (you should have seen it before finals....even MORE notes....aaaaiiiggghhh!!!!) I have the finals warmup in the lot on tape, with SCV, Star, BD, Freelancers, Bluecoats in the lot in Kansas City, as well. If someone here has the chops to transfer it to digital, I'd be willing to send it to them for posting for all to hear....as long as they're willing to return it to me in a timely fashion and supply me with a CD copy of the tape!!!! Just PM me, and we can set it up.

Lemme know.....

I'm curious, was Scott Clark left handed?? What a huge advantage that would be b**bs . I don't have a way to transfer tape to digital, but would love to hear it.