Cadets Narration

The music doesn’t speak for itself in drum corps – never has. The uniforms, the marching, the guard, the drill, all speak an accompaniment to the music. So why not words too? Adding words to the music isn’t fundamentally different from adding drill or spinning flags. Each is a form of interpretation. If the words limit your imagination, that’s your problem, not the Cadets.

HH

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read, I think everyone on here (for the most part) thinks that the show would be great if they just played. IMO, the music can speak for itself. Why lessen the impact of it with words? Why tell someone what they should feel or "get" from the music?

For example, imagine Phantom Regiment's show from last season with narration. It would have completely taken away from the hornline's emotion. I can listen to that show and tell what is happening with Faust and Marguerite without being told by someone saying words in a microphone.

Interesting you should put it this way. Should we presume that you and the rest of the viewing audience had read the Faust text from which the Phantom show drew inspiration? You didn't learn their names of Faust and Marguerite from the hornline. I'm sure of that. And neither are you the first I've heard use those words in describing how well that show worked without words. Or did it?

HH

Edited by glory

Interesting you should put it this way. Should we presume that you and the rest of the viewing audience had read the Faust text from which the Phantom show drew inspiration? You didn't learn their names of Faust and Marguerite from the hornline. I'm sure of that. And neither are you the first I've heard use those words in describing how well that show worked without words. Or did it?

HH

I'd say by their placement and crowd reaction, their show worked just dandy without words.

from the way some of you write it would seem you wish talkies were never invented.

lets do a little exercise. here is a typical statement on DCP (note: this is not a real statement, I just compiled a few notable arguments against narration):

I wish they would go back to the old Drum corps shows. Cant' the music and guard tell the story well enough? Why do the performers have to speak as well? The Cavaliers never needed voice - and they are one of the greatest Corps ever! That's it, I used to love going to corps shows, but now I'm just going to stay home and watch poker on ESPN2!

now lets have a little fun and replace some words.

I wish they would go back to the old silent films. Can't the actors and the ragtime piano music tell the story well enough??? why do those moving pictures have to speak as well?? Carlie Chaplain never needed voice - and he is one of the greatest actors ever.

That's it, I used to love going to the movies, but now I'm just going to stay home and play pinochle!

just a thought...

from the way some of you write it would seem you wish talkies were never invented.

lets do a little exercise. here is a typical statement on DCP (note: this is not a real statement, I just compiled a few notable arguments against narration):

I wish they would go back to the old Drum corps shows. Cant' the music and guard tell the story well enough? Why do the performers have to speak as well? The Cavaliers never needed voice - and they are one of the greatest Corps ever! That's it, I used to love going to corps shows, but now I'm just going to stay home and watch poker on ESPN2!

I wish they would go back to the old silent films. Can't the actors and the ragtime piano music tell the story well enough??? why do those moving pictures have to speak as well?? Carlie Chaplain never needed voice - and he is one of the greatest actors ever.

That's it, I used to love going to the movies, but now I'm just going to stay home and play pinochle!

just a thought...

I love MadLibs! :)

And your post! Great work!

HH

I learned the name Faust from their show title and the name Marguerite from reading something on DCP. I had never heard the story before the PR show. Then I saw the show. And amazingly, I don't need the visuals to understand the story when I'm listening to it in my car. Why? Because PR's hornline does a great job of using their hornbook to express the story.

:ph34r:

just a thought...

Haha, I like the post. However... isn't it a bit of stretch to compare drum corps and cinema like that? In my mind they're not even comparible.

just a thought...

BRAVO!! :ph34r:

The music doesn’t speak for itself in drum corps – never has. The uniforms, the marching, the guard, the drill, all speak an accompaniment to the music. So why not words too? Adding words to the music isn’t fundamentally different from adding drill or spinning flags. Each is a form of interpretation. If the words limit your imagination, that’s your problem, not the Cadets.

HH

Great post!