Cadets Narration

The soloist was pretty good. I also enjoyed the music. But the narration? Gosh, it was like overload. It made me kind of enjoy last year's narration, lol. Some of the stuff they are using narration for can be done using acting only. For example, My old high school's guard did something in its show last year when one of the guard girls acted like she was doing work out of turn, and the other girls came over and stopped her. Then they went right back into work. Voiceless acting is great, but I guess that isn't very innovative. :blink:

I have a feeling this is going to get really old by the end of the seaon. It's a shame too, because their music is so good without all of the added talking.

Ugh. :(

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will of course reserve judgement until I see it, but based on the clip :( :( :( :( !!!!!!!!!

I have nothing but respect for The Cadets and enjoyed their past "controversial" programs, but this is really kind of ehh..

The music will be amazing come August, but the program seems very familiar.

Reminds me of [i know it's been said time and time again] Westfield 2003, Kennesaw Mountain 2004, and countless other shows that intersperse narration in this manner..

ohwell. I'm sure it'll still be a good show.

Good things...

...the clip was obviously cut off...Im pretty sure it doesnt end like that

...the horns sounded ok...i guess a recording is lame compared to hearing it live

...i do enjoy it when the narration is actually integrated into the music, and not over top of it...it just seems less intrusive that way. lets face it, you cant ignore it in this show, so it might as well make sense.

problems...

already (and ive seen live practice, performance, and recordings of this show), you cant even come close to hearing half the words. Why bother using narration to get your point across if it wont be understood.

...I dont mind some of the martha graham quotes, but i reaaalllly dont care when you got in/up this morning, or how hard you worked today. So did everyone else in DCI (with a few exceptions), and so did I for the years i marched. I tried looking at this from the point of view of an average high school bando who was at their first show, and i honestly think they would have the same reaction. It wouldnt make them more 'interested' in the activity, nor would it blow them away. It just seems cheezy and self serving.

...the 'staff quotes', yeah i get it; the timing still sucks but the material is there. My question is, why are they using the most generic staff quotes possible? While watching them rehearse this in ensemble, I heard several comments from gino, george, and others, that would be far more interesting and fitting. I know there's time constraints and all, but please, use the resources you have.

All in all, im not that worried. The narration in blue shades is by far the cheesiest of the 3 main charts, and that song stands to lose the most since people know it so well and dont want it messed with. I wont give away the other topics of narration (if it hasnt already been done in a Mem Brass review, but in my opinion, they are better done.

Yeah that falls in the really really crappy category.

Soloist has good style, and I normally dig Jay's arrangement, but I'm REALLY not feeling this one right now. The whole thing, typical of the last few years, seems overwrought.

I can't believe Hopkins would say the "audience would be lost without the narration".

If Blueshades can't stand without narration...

Hopkins was right when he said 2005 was a homerun and 2006 was "a little odd" (try VERY).

Based on the clip...Blueshades is a FOUL BALL

If you don't listen to the narration, this is great!

With the narration though... eh...

Oh my! People who like the Cadets not liking an aspect of their show? Wow...who'd thought THAT could happen? :P

I mean you can be a fan of a corps but not like what they are doing after all? Is that what this thread is about? :blink::blink:

Edited by Lancerlady